Sports that should added?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then where is Men's syncrho and rhytimic gymnastics? I joke. Replace men's football with men's futsal?

Pretty sure Synchro and Rythmic couldn't be added today. IIRC the last time they added men's only events in the Olympics was in 2000. But now gender neutrality is a de-facto standard for ading anything in the games. Also, having men's Futsal and women's Football woud be weird as all heck. Kind of like that stupid Baseball/Softball duality they used to have.

• 2 weeks later...

Then where is Men's syncrho and rhytimic gymnastics?

Those two sports were originally allowed in when Boxing, weighlifting and wrestling were still male-only sports. It helped redress the imbalance of the last 2 decades of the 20th century. Today, they don't take up any more venues than what's already there and been used.

In squash and roller

Out equestrian and modern pentathlon

IN: Definitely squash and its no-holds-barred cousin, racquetball . Fast-paced, high-energy, with a myriad of strategies to win. Great spectator sport - and awesome sport to play. Twenty20 cricket, as any purpose-built pitch can usually be used by footballers later on. Karate: Able to capture the imagination of poor kids; it's been a popularized sport in many countries. Finally, can be held in a multi-purpose hall.

OUT: Synchronized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, football (Unless they lift the limit on age 23+ players; the truth is that the Olympic football tournament is the average-looking cousin of the glamorous World Cup - a contrast that is only amplified in years when the European championship tends to precede the Olympic Games) and (if judging decisions remain controversial) boxing. Any shooting events should be considered for elimination as well. They are little noticed during the Olympics - and there's something distinctly un-Olympic about a sport that requires the discharge of a weapon.

CUT: The variety of swimming events is ridiculously large. 34 events are way too many, prone to induce viewer fatigue and diverts media attention from other sports in Week 1. Find a way to cut it down to 28 events - that is still plenty.

In my view, the decision to include golf is somewhat problematic. Not every Olympic city may have golf courses - thus necessitating landscaping. Especially in countries where golf is not exactly a popular sport, this may create a minor legacy issue.

In my view, the decision to include golf is somewhat problematic. Not every Olympic city may have golf courses - thus necessitating landscaping. Especially in countries where golf is not exactly a popular sport, this may create a minor legacy issue.

I think this is an interesting point that I've never thought of before in regards to golf as an Olympic sport. I figure that any global city that gets the Olympics is going to have a golf course so this wouldn't be a problem though, but if thats not the case then building a golf course would be awful for the host city. Frankly, most golf courses are incredibly useless and are massively irresponsible uses of land, especially when there are a handfull or more in the same area.

I think this is an interesting point that I've never thought of before in regards to golf as an Olympic sport. I figure that any global city that gets the Olympics is going to have a golf course so this wouldn't be a problem though, but if thats not the case then building a golf course would be awful for the host city. Frankly, most golf courses are incredibly useless and are massively irresponsible uses of land, especially when there are a handfull or more in the same area.

You only have to look at Rio to see that golf courses are not the norm for everyone - they're still having trouble deciding on where to build their course.

Rio had golf courses it could have used. But it wanted to build a new course to encourage more people in Brazil to take up golf, leave a legacy, bla, bla bla. Plus there tons of money for developers to make, graft to go around, etc. Trust me, this is the exact opposite of a burden.

The only issue with where to build the course was who owned what land and was going to get rich off it.

IN: Definitely squash and its no-holds-barred cousin, racquetball . Fast-paced, high-energy, with a myriad of strategies to win. Great spectator sport - and awesome sport to play. Twenty20 cricket, as any purpose-built pitch can usually be used by footballers later on. Karate: Able to capture the imagination of poor kids; it's been a popularized sport in many countries. Finally, can be held in a multi-purpose hall.

OUT: Synchronized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, football (Unless they lift the limit on age 23+ players; the truth is that the Olympic football tournament is the average-looking cousin of the glamorous World Cup - a contrast that is only amplified in years when the European championship tends to precede the Olympic Games) and (if judging decisions remain controversial) boxing. Any shooting events should be considered for elimination as well. They are little noticed during the Olympics - and there's something distinctly un-Olympic about a sport that requires the discharge of a weapon.

CUT: The variety of swimming events is ridiculously large. 34 events are way too many, prone to induce viewer fatigue and diverts media attention from other sports in Week 1. Find a way to cut it down to 28 events - that is still plenty.

Actually FINA pushed for more events and was rejected by the IOC. :lol:

I actually wouldn't mind having the 800 added for men and 1500 for women. Have the 800's as a qualifier and the top 16 in each event qualify for the 1500.

Is that a joke? Netball is not even a global sport.

Not a global sport? It's a huge Commonwealth sport, and in Australia, NZ and a swagger of other C'wealth and non-C'wealth regions like South Africa, HK and parts of Europe is even as popular as Basketball itself. While basketball is bigger due to the American interest, I'd argue Netball reaches as many nations. Should it be an Olympic sport? Depends. It's not as sexy as basketball, and is well served by the Commonwealth Games, but there is no reason why it shouldn't. It is a global sport. I think people confuse "not big in North America" with "it's not global".

As for Olympic sports,

I'd like to see Skateboarding, Karate, Polo and Rugby 7's included. (as the latter is in 2016).

I wish golf wasn't being added in 2016. I'd like to see Baseball remain out.

Archived