South Africa 2022or 2026?

I'd like to see Durban go for the CWG while CT focuses on the Olympics.

They could work in cooperation with each other if the organisation overlapped, even by a little bit... much of the organising staff from Sydney 2000 found employment with Melbourne 2006, etc... and I am sure many London 2012 staff will be packing their bags for the home stretch of Glasgow 2014.

Major issue with CapeTown for the Olympics is the stadium.

They already have a 64,000 seat ground built for FIFA2010 which is significantly underused. Can they actually afford to build another white elephant?

Major issue with CapeTown for the Olympics is the stadium.

They already have a 64,000 seat ground built for FIFA2010 which is significantly underused. Can they actually afford to build another white elephant?

What about a mostly temporary one that could be reduced in capacity to 10,000 - 15,000 seats? Then it could be used as a training site for both schools and athletes or could be used for a smaller Rugby or Football club. Of course it would have to be financed by the government then, as no sponsor will be found to build a stadium to be mostly teared down afterwards.

For a country such as South Africa, I'd think it would be terribly wasteful to bid for, and stage, both CWGs and SOGs in close proximity to each other with two different cities. Any hosting they have is going to be scrutinised closely around the world for social responsibility against the backdrop of the country's more urgent needs. Having both in the ssame city, and making extended use of the facilities, would help alleviate many of the concerns many would have about the country even going after such festivals.

I know so many still have their hearts set of Cape Town, but I think I really would prefer Durban. Nothwithstanding they have a suitable, potentially iconic main stadium anyway, on a more subjective note, Durban to me feels more like an African city in the Rainbow Nation.

I don't think South Africa has the will to host the CWG and Olympics. Maybe go for CWG then about 10 years later go for Summer Games or vice versa.

When Africa decides to bid for the CWG they automatically will get the largest support as Africa has the highest amount of votes. So the CWG are winnable.

I still think a 2022 CWGs would be a great lead-up and test event for the SOGs.

Definitely, they would just need to put their name in for the CWGs to win. And I think it's, almost, as certain for them too if they bid for an SOGs. The IOChas been practically begging to bid.

I was an original CT supporter but I now have to admit that Durban, with its striking stadium looks more attractive. 2022 is theirs if they want it. I don't think Habanthota will bid if Durban raised its hand. To throw a spanner in the works, SA my want the RWC back in 2023...there is every chance that could happen and it is the same year you have to confirm your intentions for the 2032 Olympics.

I was an original CT supporter but I now have to admit that Durban, with its striking stadium looks more attractive. 2022 is theirs if they want it. I don't think Habanthota will bid if Durban raised its hand. To throw a spanner in the works, SA my want the RWC back in 2023...there is every chance that could happen and it is the same year you have to confirm your intentions for the 2032 Olympics.

Wonder if anyone will try and bid up against a South African city haha.

Durban with the Moses Mabhida stadium and the Kings Country Sporting Complex could easily host the CWG.

Cape Town is much further away in terms of facilities

I think a number of Canadian cities are planning to throw their hats into the ring ... however it would have been nice to have seen Hamilton, Ontario host the centenary games though the moving of the PanAm stadium makes this unlikely. I think Halifax could bid especially leaving a legacy CFL stadium which they are planning to be looking into building anyway

There would be a bit of anamosity towards Halifax since they cut and run during the 2014 bid round with Glasgow and Abuja. Hamilton would be the likely host for 2030. London could bid as well.

I'm wondering if Jamacia would bid for 2022 especially on the back of what could be an almighty future of track athletes if the legacy of 2012 continues.

2022 must go to Durban, they need to gain experience hosting multi-sport events before becoming an olympic city...

Agree on the experience front, but durban has been edging away slowly at that, not always through the sports channel. So yes they hosted the IOC last year and then they had the Climate Change conference which helped proving certains levels of logistical capacity. The city constantly hosts national championships in athleetics and is the home of SA swimming.

In 2013 we are the primary host of the African Cup of Nations football and also will host the multisport World Transplant Games. Small yes, strategic, of course.

The city also annouced today $3.6 billion in public transport spending that is getting underway this year to allow a fully integrated Rail, light rail and BRT system completed in 2021. this is commited outside of any event, but is helping prepare the city for its major event goals.

Talk amongst officials is also for an IAAF or FINA world champs bid. again to add to the hosting capabilitiesl. The city is very focussed on being a sports and events city, constantly organising massive events, hosting hosts of world champs in smaller water and ocean sports. Sport runs through the veins of the city more so than any other city on the continent.

Its biding its time and readying. and i can promise you now, the leaders will only bid for the olympics or the commonwealth, not both. They want the olympics, and will only bid for the commonwealth games IF national government say they will not support an Olympic bid for the next few bids. So expect an Olympics before a commonwealth games. frankly, the commonwealth games offer very little in any tangible benefit for the city to really want them.

Archived