Sports that should be removed of the Summer Olympic program.

I am sure the people of Latvia 2 Gold, Columbia 1 silver 1 bronze, Netherlands 1 bronze and France 1 gold 1 silver would all be interested in knowing they are now considered English speaking. 2 Olympics 12 medals and 7 of the 12 from NON English speaking countries.

Someone also suggested moving indoor sports like Handball or Basketball to the Winter Olympics but this wouldn’t cut costs just make the Winter Games bigger and often they are hosted by smaller cities anyway. I think the best option is to cut events within some sports like Mix doubles from Tennis, Table tennis, Badminton and team event in Fencing.

Golf should also be cut should never have been added to start with.

That would cause so many problems, besides financial. First of all, FIBA couldn't get the NBA involved anymore as they would be in the middle of their season and I doubt the NBA wants to go the hockey route. Second, having Team USA be represented on both the Men's and Women's sides by Collegians in inconceivable if basketball was to be moved to the Winter Olympics. College basketball teams in February are in the middle of their conference tournaments in bids to make March Madness. So where would USA Basketball get their players from?

If Basketball is kept as a summer sport and the NBA decides not to return for Rio, having college aged athletes for both men and women would be a good idea and may even level the playing field.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deciding which sports should stay and go is always difficult, but I feel that the following three sports should go: rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, and modern pentathlon. The other two components of Olympic gymnastics (artistic and trampoline) have a better international spread than rhythmic gymnastics, which has been dominated exclusively by Russia since after the 1996 Summer Olympics. Ditto for synchronized swimming. It doesn't seem like there is a concerted effort to make those sports truly competitive. I think that they think that since Russia is the dominant force (and since they're hungry to continue cracking the Chinese market), there's no need to grow the sport any more than it needs to. I watched an Olympic modern pentathlon competition for the first time on television during London 2012, and while the combined final event does add excitement, I think that modern pentathlon is somewhat of an anachronism. Of those three sports, I'd be most hesitant to remove modern pentathlon.

Aside from removing whole sports, I think that many of the current sports should be revamped and reduced, like track cycling was after the 2008 Summer Olympics. I'd also like to see quotas reduced in many of the combat sports. When taekwondo was added to the Olympic program, they limited the events to four per gender and a maximum of two athletes per gender per country. Boxing, judo, and wrestling could use a quota reduction. No more than five men per country in boxing, and no more than four men and four women in judo, weightlifting and both freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling. And in weightlifting and shooting, only one entry per country per event.

Taekwondo still has that restriction.

Honestly, for me, the one sport I would kick at this point has nothing to do with popularity, medal spread or stadium space, but everything to do with rampant corruption and incompetance.

I humbly submit that it is time, past time, for boxing to be expelled from the Olympics. Clearly, things have not improved since the judging controversies in Seoul. If anything, London proved things have actually gotten WORSE. The scoring systems do not work, the judges are crooked and it's all just beyond saving at this point.

So, that's my vote. After Rio, goodbye to boxing unless and until they can clean up their act.

Honestly, for me, the one sport I would kick at this point has nothing to do with popularity, medal spread or stadium space, but everything to do with rampant corruption and incompetance.

I humbly submit that it is time, past time, for boxing to be expelled from the Olympics. Clearly, things have not improved since the judging controversies in Seoul. If anything, London proved things have actually gotten WORSE. The scoring systems do not work, the judges are crooked and it's all just beyond saving at this point.

So, that's my vote. After Rio, goodbye to boxing unless and until they can clean up their act.

I agree, boxing is in big trouble with judging and transparency matters, but they could resolve in some way (perhaps). The main problem, on the other side and in may opinion, is in what you said before: there are some sport that are private kingdom of a bunch of countries: why the Olympics should give teathre to 5 or 6 countries: look at fencing, table tennis, badminton, modern pentathlon, equestrian, ...... look at the podium and awarding ceremony, almost the same flags, same anthems, where is the universality etc, why should a country go there knowing that it never win anything, don't talk about medals but even 5 or 7 place....

Okay, let us study it better and make some consideration:

fencing

fencing is in Olympics since the first edition, that means 27 Olympic Games,99 countries and 3973 qualified participants.

Only 34 countries in the whole history received medals.

Among the first 10, only one is not european, among the other 10 only 3 are not european, from the 44 medals for 1st place (Italy) we arrive immediately to have only 8 medals at the 5th place (Germany).

In London only 13 countries received medals, 5 from europe, 3 from asia, 2 fron america, 1 from africa

This means in my opinion that fencing is an exlusiveli Eurocentric sport, with some exeption and, though I am Italian, I really am imbarrassed as sportman to see 3 italian flags on the podium.

Table tennis.

Only 11 countries received medals in all TT Olympic history.

22 medals to China, 3 Korea, ....one gold to sweden... The rest of the world is not present

Again, I like very much TT (badminton too) but I think the Olympics are a Universal event for the World, not for a bunch of heroes for almost the same countries. For this goal they already have their World and continental Championships.

In Olympics should be different, Olympics are not a sum of all sport World championships: look at Athletic, swimming, taekwondo, judo, cycling, rowing, they gave medals to many countries all around the world, they and others disciplines ARE the Olympic Games for the umanity

Jamains sweep the men's 200m in 2012 and the women's 100m in 2008. The US sweep the men's 400m and the men's 400m hurdles in 2008. Kenya has a history of sweeping the men's 3000m steeplechase. Should we chuck Athletics out of the Olympics?

I am sure the people of Latvia 2 Gold, Columbia 1 silver 1 bronze, Netherlands 1 bronze and France 1 gold 1 silver would all be interested in knowing they are now considered English speaking. 2 Olympics 12 medals and 7 of the 12 from NON English speaking countries.

Someone also suggested moving indoor sports like Handball or Basketball to the Winter Olympics but this wouldn’t cut costs just make the Winter Games bigger and often they are hosted by smaller cities anyway. I think the best option is to cut events within some sports like Mix doubles from Tennis, Table tennis, Badminton and team event in Fencing.

Golf should also be cut should never have been added to start with.

I mention the popularity of the events, not where the medalists come from.

For example, badminton is popular in Malaysia, but Malaysia gets only one silver medal.

Fencing is popular in France, but 0 medal in London!

For your information, there is no mixed doubles in table tennis.

Jamains sweep the men's 200m in 2012 and the women's 100m in 2008. The US sweep the men's 400m and the men's 400m hurdles in 2008. Kenya has a history of sweeping the men's 3000m steeplechase. Should we chuck Athletics out of the Olympics?

You are talking about events inside a sport, we are talking about sport (which include disciplines and every discipline includes different events) and surely I don't want Athletics out. The finals in speed events (100m, 200m, relays etc) are almost made with same countries, should we cancel speed events? NO. In acquatics is very difficult to find a coloured male/female competitor, should we cancel those events with arguments based on racism or other? NO. The whole athletic or acquatic sport give medals to many countries in all the continent.

But there are some entire sports that are the kingdom in every inner discipline/event of a bunch of countries. Where are Africa, Oceania, most of Asia and South America in fencing, table tennis, badminton, pentathlon, hockey, triathlon? You can find some rare exception, but the map is very clear.

............. Where are Africa, Oceania, most of Asia and South America in fencing, table tennis, badminton, pentathlon, hockey, triathlon? You can find some rare exception, but the map is very clear.

And I forgot equestrian, too, were very few countries are present. Besides, in a modern society with strong animalist feelings, how is possible the use of horses in sports (pentathlon and equestrian) ? I am not an animalist or vegetarian, but I can imagine how those animals are trained for years to move and act against their natural aptitudes and abilities !

If Basketball is kept as a summer sport and the NBA decides not to return for Rio, having college aged athletes for both men and women would be a good idea and may even level the playing field.

It really wouldn't though.

Archived