Sports that should be removed of the Summer Olympic program.

1) Table tennis - 20/24 golds have been won by China. In London 4/6 medals so far have went to the Chinese.

2) Badminton - 8 countries majority in Asia have won medals. A more world dominant sport should be switched in.

3) Synchronized swimming - Top 3 untouchable ever. Medals are predictable. Definition of a sport=unpredictable. Move 52 out of 104 athletes to add 12 teams in women's water polo.

Thoughts, suggestions?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw something about Sir Chris Hoy saying how he was limited from competing in all the cycling events he had won in Beijing in a rule change for London. He noted how it was unfair that a similar rule had not been applied to swimming as that sport was also dominated by one athlete, Michael Phelps.

I saw something about Sir Chris Hoy saying how he was limited from competing in all the cycling events he had won in Beijing in a rule change for London. He noted how it was unfair that a similar rule had not been applied to swimming as that sport was also dominated by one athlete, Michael Phelps.

I agree. Maybe they could add more events in track cycling (like 2-6) and expand competition days but not add athletes.

Synchronized Diving. Anything relating to Diving.

Also, Trampoline and Rythmic Gymnastics.

Diving's dominance by China could lead it to being dropped. Trampoline as well. But they are not separate sports so highly doubtful.

Table Tennis

Badminton

Sailing

Then there's other sports I could care less for because its not really popular here such as Fencing, Handball, Archery but they would probably never be removed from the Olympic program.

Table Tennis

Badminton

Sailing

Then there's other sports I could care less for because its not really popular here such as Fencing, Handball, Archery but they would probably never be removed from the Olympic program.

A sport that doesn;t add a significant amount of athletes and does not an expensive venue. Karate or squash with table tennis or taekwondo being dropped.

I agree. Maybe they could add more events in track cycling (like 2-6) and expand competition days but not add athletes.

Re add the Individual pursuit that was scrapped. The veledrone is expensive stadium to put together so they need to make proper use of it. Re-introduce the points race, kilo time trial as well

Take out equestrian, modern pentathlon, sailing, and golf. Rugby Union to stay beyond 2016.

Also, I don't like the U-23 plus 3 max O-23 squad format for the football men's tournament. They should just allow full national squads for both the men's and women's tournaments. Otherwise, just scrap the whole thing.

I don't think national dominance is grounds for dismissal. Lack of international interest is.

I also think that a big part of the IOC's decision to eliminate softball/baseball was the fact that those sports automatically seem to create white elephant venues in most countries. Table-tennis may be dominated by the Chinese, but it's not expensive to stage.

If table-tennis can't demonstrate sufficient international enthusiasm, it should still go -- even if it isn't a pricey sport. Diving, by contrast, may be dominated by the Chinese (at the present anyway), but it still has a huge international following with world-class competitors from many countries and continents. Therefore, it should stay.

Countries should never be punished for their success by the removal of a sport.

Were the baseball and softball stadiums used at past Games permanent structures? Athens' obviously was, but how about Sydney's and Beijing's?

Really, after London, you can argue that most, if not all, venues at the Games on the current program could be temporary or mostly temporary. So the likelihood of the venue becoming a white elephant shouldn't be THAT big of a reason from removing a sport in the future.

Countries should never be punished for their success by the removal of a sport.

This is the most reasonable point so far in this thread.

That said, I think any sport that requires the construction of unique/white elephant venues should be considered for removal, but only if there's a significant lack of international interest. Such venue become a burden to the host city. Of course baseball in Athens comes to mind, as has been mentioned before, as an example. Another one might be the white water events, but there is still international interest in the sport. Table tennis and badminton, though dominated by certain countries, can be hosted just about anywhere.

Goodell is making a push for American football...

Not gonna happen. Very limited appeal. I mean, how many int'l teams can be fielded? How many athletes & support staff per team, 50? W/ 12 teams that's ANOTHER 600 bodies for the Village. No female component. NOT going to happen.

Were the baseball and softball stadiums used at past Games permanent structures? Athens' obviously was, but how about Sydney's and Beijing's?

Really, after London, you can argue that most, if not all, venues at the Games on the current program could be temporary or mostly temporary. So the likelihood of the venue becoming a white elephant shouldn't be THAT big of a reason from removing a sport in the future.

Sydney's Baseball stadium was permanent. It became the outdoor venue during the Royal Easter Show and occasionally used for concerts. Now it's been converted to an ad-hoc AFL stadium for the Greater Western Sydney team and is known as Skoda Stadium.

The warm up baseball fields in Bankstown remain. Though the temporary baseball and softball venues no longer remain.

I think venue capacities should be lowered dramatically, to allow for smaller 2,000 or 3,000 seater arenas to be used for various sports. Emphasis on temporary for sports that don't need a permanent location (unless there's a pre-existing one), should be considered. By lowering capacities overall across all venues, allows for a greater number of bidders and potential hosts.

Think everyone has there own opinions. Countries dominate in certain sections. Look at America in the pool, should that be cut because they dominate in many events no. Yes swimming has many events and gold opportunities but look at how many the evidence speaks for itself. Swimming 16 8 6 30

I like all the events but the one i think that should go is Equestrian it is so boring!

I have been very vocal on this many times. I despise shooting and the almost constant controversy surrounding boxing needs to go.

In many ways I think football should be eliminated as well and would like lacrosse as a team sport. Lacrosse may not have as many countries as handball, but at least it has competative teams from three continents.

Think everyone has there own opinions. Countries dominate in certain sections. Look at America in the pool, should that be cut because they dominate in many events no. Yes swimming has many events and gold opportunities but look at how many the evidence speaks for itself. Swimming 16 8 6 30

I like all the events but the one i think that should go is Equestrian it is so boring!

Equestrian? Boring? But what would the British Royals compete in then? And what about them fence designers? What would they do?

I have been very vocal on this many times. I despise shooting and the almost constant controversy surrounding boxing needs to go.

In many ways I think football should be eliminated as well and would like lacrosse as a team sport. Lacrosse may not have as many countries as handball, but at least it has competative teams from three continents.

Scrap Football in favor of Lacrosse? Just want another Canadian gold don't you? :P

I think capacities like stated earlier should be downsized, to allow for maximum use of existing venues and readily available venues that may not necessarily need expansion or upgrading.

What's with all the sport hate? What would the athletes feel if you wanted their sport to go? Especially if the Olympics is what they aim for and prepare much of their sporting career on.

That's like arguing Curling being a sport when it's essentially brooms on ice.

There's significant grounds for Synchronized Swimming being a sport, especially since it uses an already existing venue (it can use it's own, but using the diving pool or secondary pool is more than sufficient). That being said, there should be a men's version!

I've given it some thought and now that the applicant books clearly require a brief description on post Olympic use of venues, then that should be clear indication on how to avoid white elephants.

Archived