What was wrong with the Closing Ceremony?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The inclusion of Imagine was certainly understandable (and probably could've been prophesied 7 years ago without too much risk). Honestly, the giant death mask (while a very cool technique) was bizarre and seemed creepily out if place. So many famous Brits were passed over completely and Lennon got a giant death mask. It seemed very out of place and a bit macabre.

I thought so, too. I guess it was either that and/or Yoko again appearing in lieu of her hubby?? :wacko: If they were going to do the ghoulish thing, then I would've thrown in something similar for Amy Whinehouse.

It still didn't seem complete without Sir Elton John and the Rolling Stones who were also celebrating their 50th anniversary...and still together!!

err, hasn't it occured to people that some musicans had contractual obligations elsewhere and therefore couldn't play at the closing ceremony?

For example, Coldplay are on tour in the USA

No Adele, no Coldplay, no Mumford and Sons, no Madonna, no Rolling Stones, no Peter Gabriel, no Elton John, no Duffy, no La Roux, no techno/dance/house music at all when London is the center of the scene right now. G-d the Queen had a better concert.

No Adele, no Coldplay, no Mumford and Sons, no Madonna, no Rolling Stones, no Peter Gabriel, no Elton John, no Duffy, no La Roux, no techno/dance/house music at all when London is the center of the scene right now. G-d the Queen had a better concert.

Idiotic post

err, hasn't it occured to people that some musicans had contractual obligations elsewhere and therefore couldn't play at the closing ceremony?

For example, Coldplay are on tour in the USA

It's not just music acts I'm thinking of. There are many other great figures in Britain's storied history that weren't referenced in either of the ceremonies. Elizabeth I, Dickens, Newton, Handel. But we got a death mask of Lennon..... Seemed an odd thing to focus on.

Madonna? I think they were just trying to depict well-known British performers!

John Lennon was the Cycladic Head of the London Games.

I've heard some people complain that some acts were not included. Did you want a 7 hour concert ceremony of every single British musician in history? They have about 2 hours to fill and they have to deal with a lot of egos and contracts and commitments to get everyone there. Yeah, there was no Coldplay and no Rolling Stones. But maybe they didn't want to play.

London's closer was a damn sight better than that **** show those Aussies put on in Vancouver. Bad jokes and Nickleback and Avril singing about unhappy endings?

I've heard some people complain that some acts were not included. Did you want a 7 hour concert ceremony of every single British musician in history? They have about 2 hours to fill and they have to deal with a lot of egos and contracts and commitments to get everyone there. Yeah, there was no Coldplay and no Rolling Stones. But maybe they didn't want to play.

Yeh, each artist/band got paid literally £1 - so maybe Coldplay or Rolling Stones are all dicks who won't perform for anything less than 1 million or whatever those greedy guys demand.

Yeh, each artist/band got paid literally £1 - so maybe Coldplay or Rolling Stones are all dicks who won't perform for anything less than 1 million or whatever those greedy guys demand.

Probably the same with Elton John. I guess they don't want the token 1 pound, or probably might have considered their regular fee, only to be paid to charity, something of course the organizing committee couldn't afford.

My thoughts exactly, felt like it was just continuing from where the opening concert ceremony left off.

That was the title of the show: ‘A Symphony of British Music’, or are you just on here to belittle what was a splendid show? To be honest, I watch the openings and closings religiously, and I can't for the life of me remember much about the last 4. And nor will most ordinary people in their homes. But they will always, always remember Mr Bean, Bond & HM the Queen from the opening and from the closing, Eric Idle and the Bhangra dancers, the huge Union Jack in the middle, and the splendid music. Or did that all pass you by? What did you expect? We don't do pretention. If you wanted that, you should have gone to Paris.

That was the title of the show: ‘A Symphony of British Music’, or are you just on here to belittle what was a splendid show? To be honest, I watch the openings and closings religiously, and I can't for the life of me remember much about the last 4.

Then it's hard to believe you watch them religiously.

Then it's hard to believe you watch them religiously.

There's a difference between making a point of watching something when it's on and being obsessed with it, watching repeats and taking notes, making comparisons to previous sections, giving marks and recording every performer on paper with different colours whether they sing, dance or speak, which is why I can't remember much of previous ones. I happen to be happily married and have a social life away from my computer with real people with whom I can speak and laugh.

The UK is no longer just about the Stones or the Beatles. There was a bit of everything in there, but a lot about the present too: Elbow, Jessie J and the like.

I wanted to be entertained, and I was, thank you. Royally. It obviously takes a lot more than a good old-fashioned singalong for some.

I can't bealive NBC didn't show MUSE!!! ..

And how it made us wait one hour to show us the finale!

I saw te BBC version of the Opening Ceremony and then again NBC cutting lots of material bit to mention delay!

Over all CC was just Ok..

1. Athens

2. London

3 Beijing

There was no medal ceremony for te marathon ? Or did NBC cut it too?

On other threads and blogs, NBC have been really getting it...Surely America, home of garbage saturation television, had a pay per view channel that showed it live and uninterupted?

There's a difference between making a point of watching something when it's on and being obsessed with it, watching repeats and taking notes, making comparisons to previous sections, giving marks and recording every performer on paper with different colours whether they sing, dance or speak, which is why I can't remember much of previous ones. I happen to be happily married and have a social life away from my computer with real people with whom I can speak and laugh.

The UK is no longer just about the Stones or the Beatles. There was a bit of everything in there, but a lot about the present too: Elbow, Jessie J and the like.

I wanted to be entertained, and I was, thank you. Royally. It obviously takes a lot more than a good old-fashioned singalong for some.

I was entertained too. It was an entertaining concert, not an entertaining Olympics Closing Ceremony. Yeah it's called a Symphony of British Music but they could've incorporated the protocol part much better.

For example, instead of music, music, music, athletes walk in to live music, music music, Rio handover, music, music, music, music, music, music, music, music, music, speech, cauldron, music, bye; they could have mixed up the music part more. By the time the speech and extinguishing the cauldron it really felt like an afterthought.

Agreed, best closing ceremony I've seen, right along side Athens I think.

There was always a danger where the ceremony could turn into a show with a boring stage plonked down and various singers trucked out. They did manage to weave some great pop culture and iconic moments through it, and hey, they never hid from the fact that music would be the basis of the concept and theme.

Aswell as that though, I was impressed at the general design of the ceremony, again, up there with the look and feel of the Athens closing.

I was entertained too. It was an entertaining concert, not an entertaining Olympics Closing Ceremony. Yeah it's called a Symphony of British Music but they could've incorporated the protocol part much better.

For example, instead of music, music, music, athletes walk in to live music, music music, Rio handover, music, music, music, music, music, music, music, music, music, speech, cauldron, music, bye; they could have mixed up the music part more. By the time the speech and extinguishing the cauldron it really felt like an afterthought.

So you didn't notice the London landmarks, the huge Union Flag in the middle, the phoenix, the actor reading from the tower of Big Ben, the cars and such? Were you listening to it on radio??!!

It's London. They don't do things like other cities. It's different. London doesn't copy; it is copied. If you want cliché, watch the last 4 CCs. They're all so similar in their nature, I get confused which is which!

People who can't see the magic obviously don't believe in it in the first place. Take the evening like it was. Don't expect a huge sound-and-light extravaganza with serfs banging drums or locally renowned features on unicycles. London doesn't need to flaunt itself with some dazzling tourism advert. It's not some middling provincial city desperate to drum up some trade. It's London. Furthermore, there's an economic crisis going on, and I think this was a very wise way to spend UK taxpayers' money.

For a couple of seconds' TV time, large elaborate props are a decadence too far in a crisis.

But for some who don't see the magic, for Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, read "that hussy who shacked up with seven little guys". I was in Greenwich Park watching on the big screen with thousands of others from all over the world. It entertained us, it made us spontaneously applaud, and it made a couple of billion people at home see London through different eyes.

I didn't say London should copy others and make weird avant garde theatrics with unicycles.

The props and set pieces looked great but it is still secondary to all the musical act. The musical acts were terrific, but the way the CC went down it made the protocols seemed secondary. London can do whatever they want to show off their culture, which in this CC is focused of music. That is perfectly fine. I was greatly entertained too. I just wished they made the protocols more seamlessly into the whole event.

I'm entitled to my opinion that it was a great entertaining concert but not a great ceremony because it made the protocols feel awkward and secondary which IMHO shouldn't.

Archived