What was wrong with the Closing Ceremony?

I enjoyed watched the CC. It felt like one big concert, but I guess that's OK for a closing ceremony. Artistic pomp and circumstance are cool, but I liked the music they highlighted, especially since I was pretty much familiar with most of the musicians.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got done watching them. N while I kinda enjoyed the Rio handover, I was kinda disappointed, with Brazil being such a multi-racial & cultural melting pot, much like the U.S., that it didn't reflect that much in this small presentation in London. Hopefully they'll do a much better job when their real time to shine comes in 2016.

Just got done watching them. N while I kinda enjoyed the Rio handover, I was kinda disappointed, with Brazil being such a multi-racial & cultural melting pot, much like the U.S., that it didn't reflect that much in this small presentation in London. Hopefully they'll do a much better job when their real time to shine comes in 2016.

Agreed. Somehow, IOC should allow next host to do a bigger show (15 minutes for example).

In 8 minutes, you can't do much... Still, I was very proud to see Rio presenting something in a Olympic Ceremony! WOW< what a moment!

No Brazilian tourist kids. :(

Well we can only presume they were deported for not listening to the tour guide and instead rushing to the window to look at a typical London taxi, despite there being hundreds of them around the city.

hehehehe

But, somehow, this makes me even more grateful to British...

So, they choose Brazilian kids to make a tribute to Brazil. The Queen has always been so kind with us.

Agreed. Somehow, IOC should allow next host to do a bigger show (15 minutes for example).

In 8 minutes, you can't do much.

I don't think though how long, or in this case, how short the presentation was had anything to do with what I mentioned. Even in the 8 minutes they still coulda had more inclusion to represent all the different kind of people in Brazil, IMHO, while still not changing much, if any, of the handover presentation.

I don't think though how long, or in this case, how short the presentation was had anything to do with what I mentioned. Even in the 8 minutes they still coulda had more inclusion to represent all the different kind of people in Brazil, IMHO, while still not changing much, if any, of the handover presentation.

True enough...

It's not an excuse for Rio presentation. But with more time, some video could have been showed and the presentation could have been better created.

Still, proud of it.

You know...it really doesn't make sense to sing the English words of the Olympic Hymn at the Closing Ceremony.

They talk about the Games about to start - 'this momentous day', 'these ascending Games' 'tomorrow's new champions now arise' - not really the Games that are closing.

I enjoyed the CC but the problem is it's a ceremony I only want to watch once and that's it. It is essentially just one big concert. Thinking back there were no defining moments for the CC, and sorry that phoenix ballet was a big wtf moment for me. Rio's handover was also meh...

Still better than Beijing's though.

I've never just loved Closing Ceremonies. London put on a fun dance party, but I'm mystified by the rave reviews. Many of the performances were badly off-pitch. The opening was yet another baffling, non-sensical hodge-podge.

I liked the Union Jack stage a LOT. Great way to get the athletes in amongst the action. More dynamic use of LEDs in this ceremony. Certainly effective.

I LOVED Rio's theme of embracing the world. If that is the overall tone of Rio 2016 it will be fantastic. London has seemed very self-conscious to me all the way through these Games. If Rio offers a jubilant welcome with just the right dose of "self-forgetfulness" the Games will be MAGICAL.

I LOVED Rio's theme of embracing the world. If that is the overall tone of Rio 2016 it will be fantastic. London has seemed very self-conscious to me all the way through these Games. If Rio offers a jubilant welcome with just the right dose of "self-forgetfulness" the Games will be MAGICAL.

Well, our biggest icon is statue of a "guy" with open arms...

And ths history of the Christ The Reedmer statue is really this.

Carioca changed the design of original sacre Reedemer Jesus image from this:

cristo-redentor-proposta-1924.jpg

To this:

f002.jpg

Just to send a big welcome all ships entering Guanabara Bay.

It's a true history.

I get nothing done during the Olympics, so it is probably a good thing they are not any longer.

Amen. My university advisor must really hate me, as I have yet to turn in a draft of my final paper. I have a lot of catching up to do, but there is nothing to distract me now.

I think Rio will be very similar to Athens in this aspect.

It will be a party from the host city to the world, celebrating the mankind in our lands, just like Athens did...

It's composed by John Barry- who also wrote the music for many of the James Bond films throughout the 90s.

Yes, I know. Out of Africa. Somewhere in Time.

I love the score for "Dances with Wolves", but it still sounds ultra-American to me (though Barry isn't).

Well, I just learned that Danny Boyle did not direct the closing ceremony. Which is a relief because I spent the last 18 hours wondering how on earth could he churn out a lazy production like that.

Here's a scathing review and analysis of the closing ceremony, which some of you might be interested to read: Not just ****, but dangerous

Well, I just learned that Danny Boyle did not direct the closing ceremony. Which is a relief because I spent the last 18 hours wondering how on earth could he churn out a lazy production like that.

Here's a scathing review and analysis of the closing ceremony, which some of you might be interested to read: Not just ****, but dangerous

Yeah, but Boyle still had a hand in the show because they lay out the land when they first sit down. OK, what are we going to do for the Opening? "B" ideas can go to Closing. Oh wait, we can use that for the Paralympic Opening. Anything left for the Paralympic Closing? I'm sure that's how it goes when they plan these things. So, you judge what's there by process of elimination -- what was left for Gavin to work with. And Boyle being the OVERALL Creative Director, certainly critiqued and vetted the Closing, if only in broad strokes.

Wow -- that review. And I thought I was vitriolic?? Read the comments as well. SUrprising how many agree with that reviewer.

Wow, powerful stuff. Maybe he's got a point. I found myself agreeing with the overplay of Emily Sande and he was spot on about Liam Gallagher's voice! What the hell has happened to it?? It sounded so whiny, reedy and nasal. It wasn't even a shadow of its glory days when he first sang Wonderwall with Oasis! In fact I couldn't quite believe it was him at first and thought it was some guy trying his best to impersonate him....and failing miserably! :wacko:

Why was Timothy Spall wasted on that tedious impersonation of Churchill growling out those lines from The Tempest? Why indeed couldn't Kate Bush sing in person? Why was Annie Lennox wasted on that weird, vampire-film segment? Why couldn't The Who sing 'Pinball Wizard' instead of the Kaiser Chiefs (especially bizarre as they actually came on later). Who cares about the ageing Spice Girls who were naff even in their heyday and are just as naff now?. Why couldn't Heather Small come on and sing 'Proud' to the athletes and volunteers which would have been so appropriate?

Rant over! ;)

The thing that is bizarre about this review is that the reviewer sees such a vast difference between the Opening and the Closing. I thought they were very similar in quality.

The inclusion of Imagine was certainly understandable (and probably could've been prophesied 7 years ago without too much risk). Honestly, the giant death mask (while a very cool technique) was bizarre and seemed creepily out if place. So many famous Brits were passed over completely and Lennon got a giant death mask. It seemed very out of place and a bit macabre.

Archived