Sign in to follow this  
Steve10086

What was wrong with the Closing Ceremony?

When Boris brought the Olympic Flag into the arena via flying fox and got stuck half way..

Actually, scratch that... that part was awesome!!!

It was pretty funny. A memorable moment.

It was kind of good fun during the late Juan Antonio Samaranch's reign when Organising Committees would hang out for his verdict during the Closing Ceremony.

He would proclaim in his speech "These Games were the best ever " or something similar and the audience would go off like a firecracker.

In a deliberate change of style, Dr Rogge seems to have shied away from these sorts of 'best ever' proclamations and and goes for something that does not promote the one-upmanship between successive Games, eg "exceptional Games, etc".

A couple of days ago, Dr Rogge was reported to have said this about London's Games:

"All in all, I would say these are really very good games, and a I'm a very happy man,"

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/48570683/ns/sports-olympic_sports/

I'm so glad the "best ever" speeches have stopped. One very specific, definitive compliment is all that is needed. The comparative ranking is really pretty pointless.

• Like 1

I'm so glad the "best ever" speeches have stopped. One very specific, definitive compliment is all that is needed. The comparative ranking is really pretty pointless.

Totally agree!!!! It's sort of disgusting when comparing Games and ceremonies, since Beijing has nothing to do with UK culture, for instance. Both ceremonies were awesome in their own ways,. Of course, don't expect to watch better version of Fou drummers in London or a better Glastonbury version in Rio. Nothing to do at all. All games are unique and fantastic... Although Atlanta's OC was truly spectaular, they made the big mistake to follow the exact same line than Barcelona's and, of course, in front of the world eyes, it was a Barcelona American version... Don'y forget Barcelona ceremonies innovated in more than one way...

I also totally agree that Games are too short and two weeks are not enough to enjoy them.... But I supossed the games got too expensive and giant to be longer.

Closing ceremonies are always a time to celebrate, and the time for athletes, host city and media to say "We did it!"...

Anyway, Beijing CC was truly spectacular, as enjoyable as the OC...

But the best CC ever, according to me, was Salt Lake 2002. It really seemed an OC....

For Summer Games I think it was Beijing, although Salt Lake's had the "wow!" factor...

Most boring CC ever had been Vancouver and Athens, despite they had great OC...

And London? I really do not spect too much... But I do not want to see a concert either, at South Africa FIFA WC OC Style....

What really get me anxious is the Rio handover...

I have any doubt Rio will top those greatest ceremonies of Olympic history.

Totally agree!!!! It's sort of disgusting when comparing Games and ceremonies, since Beijing has nothing to do with UK culture, for instance. Both ceremonies were awesome in their own ways,. Of course, don't expect to watch better version of Fou drummers in London or a better Glastonbury version in Rio. Nothing to do at all. All games are unique and fantastic... Although Atlanta's OC was truly spectaular, they made the big mistake to follow the exact same line than Barcelona's and, of course, in front of the world eyes, it was a Barcelona American version... Don'y forget Barcelona ceremonies innovated in more than one way...

I also totally agree that Games are too short and two weeks are not enough to enjoy them.... But I supossed the games got too expensive and giant to be longer.

Closing ceremonies are always a time to celebrate, and the time for athletes, host city and media to say "We did it!"...

Anyway, Beijing CC was truly spectacular, as enjoyable as the OC...

But the best CC ever, according to me, was Salt Lake 2002. It really seemed an OC....

For Summer Games I think it was Beijing, although Salt Lake's had the "wow!" factor...

Most boring CC ever had been Vancouver and Athens, despite they had great OC...

And London? I really do not spect too much... But I do not want to see a concert either, at South Africa FIFA WC OC Style....

What really get me anxious is the Rio handover...

I have any doubt Rio will top those greatest ceremonies of Olympic history.

I actually think vancouver and athens closing ceremonies were not that bad, I think the title for most boring closing would have to be Sydney's , The formal elements, anthems and handover were good, and the comedy intro was fun and the fireworks were the best I've seen..... But the actual closing ceremony ughhh, maybe would have been awesome in the audience, but on the broadcast. the only saving grace was that the athletes looked like they were having such an awesome time...... I suppose though, maybe thats what the closing is all about.... the athletes... so whatever..

Sydney boring? Seriously? It was a melange of Aussie and Sydney culture! Where the Opening Ceremony showed class, history and multiculturalism, the Closing Ceremony showed the icons of Australian culture, in TV, Film, Music, Sport and more!

Edited by Lord David

I enjoyed Barcelona's closing ceremony for its cultural presentations, but, they did however lacked the party atmosphere that is common in closings of recent times - of course , the very end of the closing had the party thing covered.

I gotta say I loved the Athens closing ceremony. I guess it's a downer in alot of peoples eyes because of the entirely Greek cast of performers, but I think it mixed the perfect amount of heart warming celebration, Greek tradition, and party.

The cast clinking glasses to the spectators, the clicking camera tourists, Anna Vissi belting out misirlou, the beautiful wheat field at the start - was well produced.

Never really cared for Closings. But the 2 standouts are certainly LA-1984 for its UFO and I think the VERY HEAVY closing of Beijing. I mean Beijing had to go out with a BANG, so why not lay it on heavily one more time??

I didn't find Beijing's closing ceremony "heavy" at all. I think that after the lavish opening ceremony, it was a huge letdown. It somehow looked pretty cheap and tacky, especially with that "memory tower" and the lacklustre musical entertainment after the flame was extinguished. Or do you remember any stunning effects at their closing ceremony?

I didn't find Beijing's closing ceremony "heavy" at all. I think that after the lavish opening ceremony, it was a huge letdown. It somehow looked pretty cheap and tacky, especially with that "memory tower" and the lacklustre musical entertainment after the flame was extinguished. Or do you remember any stunning effects at their closing ceremony?

There was that Memory Tower and then when Domingo was singing, they had those fabrics come flaring out to fill all the empty air space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuU-AXa3tYo

By 'heavy,' look at the choreography of the Bell belles (starting around 1:50 of that clip). Can't find a clip of Memory Tower, but that I found a little over-the-top as well. In terms of "tacky and trashy," I thought Vancouver's was done pretty well, on purpose, in that regard.

What's wrong with the Closing Ceremony?...

...It's over! That's What!

Well done London...totally Epic!

What I wanted to see.

• Like 1

What was wrong with the closing ceremony? Absolutely nothing.

Never expected to say something like this, but this closing ceremony really stunned me. A complete surprise, since I've always felt that previous closing ceremonies were pretty much a letdown.

The London Games end on a high note - and I'm almost regretting now that I haven't called the London Games the best ever. Their closing ceremony certainly was the best ever, and it embodied a lot of the philosophy of these Games: warmth, humaneness, humour, fun.

• Like 4

Too much "music concert", too much psycodelic-like stuff, and weird perfomances at some points...

The UK top models segments... WTF?

Not my favorite... Liked Beijing more...

But I can see the Closing Ceremony was a party for British.

Again, if British are happy, that's fine... They paied for it.

Altough, International Audience would be a bit more happy with more "deep" artistic perfomances.

8.5/10

Too much "music concert", too much psycodelic-like stuff, and weird perfomances at some points...

The UK top models segments... WTF?

Not my favorite... Liked Beijing more...

But I can see the Closing Ceremony was a party for British.

Again, if British are happy, that's fine... They paied for it.

Altough, International Audience would be a bit more happy with more "deep" artistic perfomances.

8.5/10

me too i was thinking like that too....

I think it was one of the best closing ceremonies ever, up there with Sydney and Los Angeles, and probably better. I don't remember Beijing and I was ashamed and embarrassed by Vancouver's but most of the others have been low key and clearly a sideshow to the opening act. But London has to be the first Closing Ceremony where I thought it put the Opening to shame. Vibrant, energetic, colourful and a rich tapestry of Brit Pop. The epitome of what the fun, laid back, celebratory closing ceremony should be.

Now...for what I didn't like, or would change...

The protocol stuff seemed a bit out of whack and rushed and Rio de Janeiro's cultural presentation wasn't as expressive as I thought it would be. It wasn't the worst (I still think London itself takes that prize), but it wasn't my favourite either (that I give to Sydney in Atlanta).

To each their own, of course, but I loved the London 2012 Closing Ceremony and now totally regret my original plan to attend the second half of the Games.

• Like 1

The only major criticism I can make is that they seemingly didn't account nearly enough time for the athletes entering the stadium. I think they were expecting everyone to be in place by the end of Elbows two songs, but they ended up replaying nearly all the music we'd just heard in the opening section!

That was an AMAZING Closing Ceremony, much better than the London Opening even. It had the mood and rhythm that was beyond perfection for a Closing Ceremony, and the Closings also usually feel like afterthoughts but this certainly didn't! I also have to emphasize the absolutely brilliant flow of the Closing Ceremony, especially compared to the Opening Ceremony. I also loved how they moved the speeches/cauldron extinguishing/official handover protocol to the end, it flows better for the Closing Ceremony and keeps you watching....whereas in the past, with the big concert segments held only after the handover/speeches/cauldron extinguishing is done, the concerts felt like they were loosely added onto the show program. London's felt otherwise.

It was, the best Closing Ceremony ever!

I didn't have any issue with the drawn-out musical elements of the show, I thought it was all brilliant.

CLOSING CEREMONY RANKINGS:

1) London

2) Beijing

3) Salt Lake

4) Athens

5) Sydney

6) Vancouver

7) Torino

NOTHING!! It was f***ng awesome! :D I really liked it... Perhaps the only part I dislike was the calourdon extinguishing moment... It lacked of emotion... But this was better than Beijing, Sydney or Athens...

My only complaint was when NBC time-delay version cut to Boris Johnson gyrating to the Spice Girls! :blink:

Otherwise, this ceremony was freaking brilliant!!!!! While I was expecting Rio to have some sort of video clip, it was a decent handover. I rewatched the Beijing one in between the NBC live feed and the time-delay, and it lacked anything memorable. Many may have loved London's closing, like myself, because they played songs that many people know and will easily conjure up some great memories of London 2012. Awesome job!!!

No Brazilian tourist kids. :(

Well we can only presume they were deported for not listening to the tour guide and instead rushing to the window to look at a typical London taxi, despite there being hundreds of them around the city.

Sign in to follow this