Taking a look at the current medals table, a few countries are performing noticeably poorly.

Key: G/S/B - Total

10th - Russia:
3/12/8 - 23

Are Russia looking at their worst Olympic games performance in modern times?

19th - Australia:
1/9/4 - 14

The Aussies being outperformed by New Zealand who sit in 12th place.

21st - Brazil
1/1/4 - 6

With a population of over 200million, Brazil should have more than 1 gold at this point.

35th - India 0/1/1 - 2

with such a large population, 1 silver and 1 bronze is a major under performance.

46th - Greece 0/0/1 - 1

The birthplace of the Olympics has only picked up 1 bronze so far.

Stats correct as of 04/08/2012

Russia shows up bad here. Long gone are the good ol days of subjegated nations propping them up...But are they focussing on the Winter Games this time round?

Australia - well, with a respectible silver haul - IN MORE HIGH PROFILE EVENTS - should still be happy...I have to admit the predictable swimming results have now turned towards China, USA and Europe.

Australia is just going through a drought...The build up from the late 80's through the 90's leading to 2000 was impressive, but people do get old and retire. The Commonwealth Games in 1994 stunned the rest of us and forced a rethink of funding around the world...Australia will easily bounce back by 2016.

Brazil? - well we are still only half way yet.

Russia normally picks up in Week 2. India hugely underacheives relative to its population, but that's always been true so no shock there. Greece has cut all funding to its athletes and it's a great thing many have managed to even get to London.

It's really only the Ozzies whose performance has shocked me so far. Is there much chance Hugh Robertson will be dribbling a hockey ball in the Australia hockey kit at this rate?

Worst thing the world ever did was giving the games to China - they're now turning up everywhere as a dominant force.

I think Hugh Robinson (our Sports Minister) will be sitting pretty with his bet with his Aussie counterpart - very poor from Australia so far after a disapointing Beijing too.

Worst thing the world ever did was giving the games to China - they're now turning up everywhere as a dominant force.

Why???...It's good. It keeps those showboating Americans in check! :P

Oh, they would've clawed their way in, Games or no Games. It's just a total obsession with them.

But if just going by population, then Indonesia of course is a total failure -- with 243 million, right bet the US' 310 million and Brazil's 196 million. But then again, Indonesia was never, ever a factor.

Oh, they would've clawed their way in, Games or no Games. It's just a total obsession with them.

But if just going by population, then Indonesia of course is a total failure -- with 243 million, right bet the US' 310 million and Brazil's 196 million. But then again, Indonesia was never, ever a factor.

Agree with said about Indonesia - the most corrupt and dodgy of the ASEAN group - I can say that cause I work there for a year.

Spain.... Really poor.

Yeah... :unsure: I hope we can get at least 8-10 medals during the second week. We have good chances in canoeing, synchronized swimming, triathlon, sailing, taekwondo and some team sports, but it appears we'll do worse than in Beijing.

India seems to do well in the Commonwealth Games, finishing in the top 4 in the last few games, but has no luck with the Olympics

The Commonwealth Games are really not a good indicator since a lot of the sports (such as shooting, wrestling and weightlifting) in which India does okay have really shallow fields.

Anyway, first time since I've been old enough to follow the Summer Olympics (Sydney 2000) than Canada has actually performed well in the first week. Generally we'd fit right into this thread at this time of the week :P

Australia's dominance in the pool was replaced by China.

It's not China that has been taking those golds we expected, like Magnussen or the relays. Mostly the US has been the ones pipping us. And Britain in the rowing etc. We've been just unlucky in some, and our silver haul is impressive - if only one or two of those had been gold we wouldn't be so gloomy (people forget that in the past few games, the pool's only got us three or four golds really). But the competition has been fierce, and team Britain has been developing and investing in exactly the sports that used to snare us many of ours.

We've still got some good chances - athletics with Sally Pearson and co, ironically, could potentially net us more gold than the pool this year. Then we still have some fancies in cycling and the sailing.

Still, I expect we may come in at less than the 10 gold benchmark I personally always hope fr, and miss the top 10 on the table.

There's gonna be debate in AOC and government circles about funding now, I expect.

Ouch, Austria has no medals, we haven't done this badly since no medals in Tokyo, and realistically there aren't many more chances, perhaps in shooting. Although winter sports get most of the funding it is a disappointment, not least because the Swiss and the old Donaumonarchie countries are all on the table.

Archived