Athens 2004 Venues - 8 Years on.

paul92

:blink: By whose standards? It was a deeply flawed ceremony. For its few high points, it also had severely low points. Perhaps you should read the proper context in which I judge it.

Perhaps you could back up your sweeping generalisations. It was your statement I was rebutting.

From a theatrical design perspective, it was an object lesson in stadium theatre not ever seen before, and not really seen since. It was pace consistent, it was modern, it thought outside the square - it also considered both the television audience and live audience. It wasn't cluttered. It was an absolute case of "less is more".

Perhaps you could back up your sweeping generalisations. It was your statement I was rebutting.

From a theatrical design perspective, it was an object lesson in stadium theatre not ever seen before, and not really seen since. It was pace consistent, it was modern, it thought outside the square - it also considered both the television audience and live audience. It wasn't cluttered. It was an absolute case of "less is more".

I put as much of my thesis about the show (and entirely my view) in some posts in another thread yesterday--until your pretentious, ignorant, bothersome fellow Downsider stuck its snotty nose in...and the moderators deleted some of those intertwining posts. I have also said that the show had some stunning high points, etc., etc. I don't know why that statement doesn't register.

You could either (i) buy the book (it is now available in eBook format, less expensive than the print version) (ii). it is available on a 'lend' basis on both amazon & nook; (iii) maybe ask your local library to purchase it; or (iv) sample some pages on amazon.com (I don't know if you can pick and choose Chapter 6 which is about the Athens show).

Almost every post I've seen you write about London2012 has been negative. And the second somebody expresses dislike to Athens. (which you obviously have a great affection for) you start whining.

You're reading very selectively then.

My posts are analytical -- not intended to inflame. There are positives and negatives for London just as there were with Athens. Athens failed in spectacular ways (bureaucratic waste of time, lack of legacy, terrible PR management, very low ticket sales). Athens' strengths and weaknesses were just very different from London's.

It's reasonable to evaluate London as it is taking place -- not because I'm trying to provoke British posters (I'm not), but because Olympic analysis is WHAT THESE BOARDS ARE FOR.

In the cauldron thread, I write about the cauldron. In the OC thread, I write about the OC.

Making a blanket negative statement with no support about the Athens opening ceremony in a thread that is supposed to be about disused venues is blatantly antagonistic. That is not the type of posting I practice.

It's partly true, some of the venues are abandoned but some of the pictures are misleading.

The OAKA even if not perfectly organized is continuously used at least as much as before the games. But they could have done much more and turn this architecture jewel to a great tourists attraction like the Munich olympic park.

The venues at Hellenicon are abandoned. The reason is that since then the Greek Government(s) fight about the use of this huge area. Many plans have been unveiled all of them have been rejected or forgotten. The reason is that this is a extraordinary big area. Locals want this are to become a Metropolitan Park that is totally bullish*t, others want this to become a business district but investors are skeptical because in Athens there is a height limit to build so at this moment you cant build Skyscrapers there. Its a complicated situation for a very long time and I partly understand the complexity. So pictures like those of the baseball venue are true.

The area of Faliron with the taekwondo veneu which is in use, the Peace and Friendship Stadium which is also in use and the Volleyball Venue (not in use) is undergoing a complete renovation, and this is how it going to look in a view years:

439ec77184a1741c995a737346082b5d_XL.jpg

The Stavros Niarchos Foundation is financing the whole project and at this moment the New National Opera, New National Library and New National Cultural Park designed by Renzo Piano is on the way:

Image00001.jpg

and a lovely presentation video of this project:

That's good news Savas :). This is really a breathtaking area!

Pardon my ignorace, but is this foundation "donating" all this money to these new venues for these public organisations? That's some immense philanthropy.

Yes, SNF is donating this Centre to the people.

More Info:

http://www.snf.org/snfcc/snfMain_en.html

Actually this Foundation and the Onassis Foundation are spending a lot of money on culture. The Onassis Foundation build a view years ago the Onassis Cultural Centre in Athens:

http://www.sgt.gr/en/

The tragedy for Greece is that so many of its young people are having to leave and so many of its pensioners are destitute. All the rest is a side-show.

It is sad that so many venues are in disrepair, but Athens used to be a vile place to travel around - 40c, air pollution, terrible roads, crappy bus system, rip-off taxis. The olympic 'legacy' changed all that - the games spurred the building of the Athens metro, extensively used, planning expansion and just about saving Athens from becoming a shanty town.

The tragedy for Greece is that so many of its young people are having to leave and so many of its pensioners are destitute. All the rest is a side-show.

It is sad that so many venues are in disrepair, but Athens used to be a vile place to travel around - 40c, air pollution, terrible roads, crappy bus system, rip-off taxis. The olympic 'legacy' changed all that - the games spurred the building of the Athens metro, extensively used, planning expansion and just about saving Athens from becoming a shanty town.

If you 've been to Athens before 2004 you can tell the huge difference. The money was not spent only on white elephants...

Big, big mistake giving the games to a country like Greece, they are similar to Portugal in economy and demographic terms, but are more corruptible, and no one in their right mind would give the games to Portugal, so it's mind boggling that the IOC gave the games to Greece. I wonder what would the IOC had done if the birthplace of the games had been in Albania or some former soviet republic like kirgystan.

Archived