Sign in to follow this  
runningrings

(serious) predictions for 2020/22/24/26

Oi, Baa Baa. Everywhere I've been in the games here in London, the Brits have been welcoming and gracious and even supportive of the Oz team - any rivalry's ben very friendly banter. You're about the only nasty Pom with a chip on their shoulder I've come across. Everone else has been wonderful and the UK has staged a great games. What's up, pissed off because we keep picking holes in your pet bidding fantasies?

Also, for the record, Australia NEVER predicted we'd smash Britain here - we were aiming at 6th on the table at highest, thought that would even be tough, and well expected GB to finish 3rd or 4th. I think the insecurities showing are your own.

Well sadly we also get loads of whining Aussies constantly criticising Britain at the slightest hint of underperformance.

We had this sort of nonsense from the Australians about how Team GB were being beaten by Team Borat in the medal table

http://www.news.com.au/sport/london-olympics/borat-knows-best-when-it-comes-to-winning-gold-medals-team-gb-take-note/story-fndpu6dv-1226440264291

Funny how the Aussie press have now gone very quiet about this and tried to find other ways to criticise.

I leave the comments of Mark Cavendish as evidence of the Aussie inferiority complex - better not attempt to try, than do anything that might let the 'Pommie' win

As a nation (Australia) you are constantly belitting the UK, and actually the Aussies came out again saying that you'd beat us in the medal table and what we see is an enormous fail. Even your government ministers join in. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

On a personal note, it's actually quite amusing and typical that you try to change the topic on to something else as if to think I really care whether you like my bidding suggestions or not. It would actually be quite pathetic if it wasn't so funny.

I'm not the one who's made a name as the chief forum dummy spitter.

and you actually believe I am bothered what you and your mates think?

Rather than address comments made, and realise that after dishing out for years (Ashes, Athletics, Rugby etc) what goes round comes around, you now wish to make it personal. How typical.

I'm not the one who started attacked Oz, nor have I belittled or done anything but congratulate Britain on their games and results here.

I'm not the one who started attacked Oz, nor have I belittled or done anything but congratulate Britain on their games and results here.

Aussies have been attacking the lack of sporting prowess in the UK for 25 years. Live with it.

Aussies have been attacking the lack of sporting prowess in the UK for 25 years. Live with it.

At least both are better then their Commonwealth buddy Canada (in summer sports) :lol:

Oi, Baa Baa. Everywhere I've been in the games here in London, the Brits have been welcoming and gracious and even supportive of the Oz team - any rivalry's ben very friendly banter. You're about the only nasty Pom with a chip on their shoulder I've come across. Everone else has been wonderful and the UK has staged a great games. What's up, pissed off because we keep picking holes in your pet bidding fantasies?

Also, for the record, Australia NEVER predicted we'd smash Britain here - we were aiming at 6th on the table at highest, thought that would even be tough, and well expected GB to finish 3rd or 4th. I think the insecurities showing are your own.

I thought it was just me! I have a British friend in real life and gonna admit i had a joke around saying where's your gold after what was it 3 days of no gold and then when we had not many gold he said some jokes too but from what he's been saying on here yowza

I thought it was just me! I have a British friend in real life and gonna admit i had a joke around saying where's your gold after what was it 3 days of no gold and then when we had not many gold he said some jokes too but from what he's been saying on here yowza

Like what? I teased the Aussies about the rarity of gold after gloating about how you would beat us, and it seems you can't take it.

I've an Aussie colleague who has taken banter with good grace admitting how she's enjoyed being boastful and gloating and now realises what its like to be on the receiving end. Even she's admitted that her home country can be one of the most boastful

Well sadly we also get loads of whining Aussies constantly criticising Britain at the slightest hint of underperformance.

We had this sort of nonsense from the Australians about how Team GB were being beaten by Team Borat in the medal table

http://www.news.com....v-1226440264291

Funny how the Aussie press have now gone very quiet about this and tried to find other ways to criticise.

I leave the comments of Mark Cavendish as evidence of the Aussie inferiority complex - better not attempt to try, than do anything that might let the 'Pommie' win

As a nation (Australia) you are constantly belitting the UK, and actually the Aussies came out again saying that you'd beat us in the medal table and what we see is an enormous fail. Even your government ministers join in. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

On a personal note, it's actually quite amusing and typical that you try to change the topic on to something else as if to think I really care whether you like my bidding suggestions or not. It would actually be quite pathetic if it wasn't so funny.

It's an ongoing feud, a funny one however. After that happened correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't there a front page on the sun saying wanted gold: Australia. http://www.businessinsider.com/the-sun-britains-biggest-newspaper-is-laughing-at-australias-lack-of-gold-medals-2012-8

In the article it even said "must didgeri-DO better" how tacky. But still we have rebounded and i find the feud funny but you wow

Like what? I teased the Aussies about the rarity of gold after gloating about how you would beat us, and it seems you can't take it.

I've an Aussie colleague who has taken banter with good grace admitting how she's enjoyed being boastful and gloating and now realises what its like to be on the receiving end. Even she's admitted that her home country can be one of the most boastful

I never said we would you beat you in your home ground that's just downright stupid. You had a go about Brisbane 2036 and saying we should spend our money on training athletes when we are going great for a country of our size

Mate, watch yourself. That chip on your shoulder could do your back in!

I have no chip on my shoulder, but I understand that the government in Canberra are going to make humility part of the national curriculum after results from the last couple of Olympics ;)

Blacksheep -

I'm wondering how old you are because it appears you have a very limited understanding of the context of whats going on. Firstly, in terms of a bet between sports ministers, this is something that first occurred during the 1992 Barcelona Olympics - when both nations were vying for the 2000 Olympics You cannot call us "arrogant as usual" when this is something that has been going on for over 20 years.

British performance at the 2012 Olympics is astonishing and something for the nation to be extremely proud of. Our media has actually reported this very clearly (duh, we're not a police state) and has been quite positive about. In fact, if there is any enduring savagery in our media its towards the AOC and what was seen as the failure of our swimming team. People really couldn't care less about how well Team GB does, its the host nation, success is (usually) a given. Any smack given to Team GB is part of the banter - and if you don't understand this then you fundamentally fail to understand the immense good-natured historic sporting rivalry between the two nations. I understand that you were fighting fire with fire (thats you, Olympic fan darcy), but to put down Australia's sporting efforts is bad sportsmanship on your part.

Our AIS is something that became a model for the rest of the world. And the British Lottery system is something that the media has raised as a possibility to renew the AIS. Australia has actually done extremely well at these Olympics. We currently rank 9th on the medal tally, and for a nation with a population a fraction of the others in the Top 10, and indeed one that has always been told it has relied on swimming (when we only attribute one gold medal to that sport), this is quite impressive.

I'm not sure why you're so angry and seemingly bitter at us, when your own media is world famous for heaping dirt on the efforts of other nations (ask any Canadian how they felt about the wrath of the British media during Vancouver 2010, "the worst games, ever"). Every nation has sensationalist media, especially the UK. Just calm down, enjoy the Games, and get over it.

We'll see you in Rio. ;)

Edited by greenandblue
  • Like 1

I have no chip on my shoulder, but I understand that the government in Canberra are going to make humility part of the national curriculum after results from the last couple of Olympics ;)

Oh god you have got to be the dumbest person on these forums. This is not our best olympics but we are nowhere near as bad as Great Britains pathetic effort at 1996. Suck it up, your country has been at a sh!tter point in time then we have been. SHUT UP

Blacksheep -

I'm wondering how old you are because it appears you have a very limited understanding of the context of whats going on. Firstly, in terms of a bet between sports ministers, this is something that first occurred during the 1992 Barcelona Olympics - when both nations were vying for the 2000 Olympics. You cannot lump call us "arrogant as usual" when this is something that has been going on for over 20 years. British performance at the 2012 Olympics is astonishing and something for the nation to be extremely proud of. Our media has actually reported this very clearly (duh, we're not a police state) and has been quite positive about. In fact, if there is any enduring savagery in our media its towards the AOC and what was seen as the failure of our swimming team. People really couldn't care less about how well Team GB does, its the host nation, success is (usually) a given. Any smack given to Team GB is part of the banter - and if you don't understand this then you fundamentally fail to understand the immense good-natured historic sporting rivalry between the two nations. I understand that you were fighting fire with fire (thats you, Olympic fan darcy), but to put down Australia's sporting efforts is immensely ignorant on your own part. We are an extremely consistent team at the Olympics, and are even starting to grow as a small force at the Winter Olympics too. Our AIS is something that became a model for the rest of the world.

I'm not sure why you're so angry and seemingly bitter at us, when your own media is world famous for heaping dirt on the efforts of other nations (ask any Canadian how they felt about the wrath of the British media during Vancouver 2010, "the worst games, ever"). Every nation has sensationalist media, especially the UK. Just calm down, enjoy the Games, and get over it.

We'll see you in Rio. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist the jab he made.

But amazing post!

Oh god you have got to be the dumbest person on these forums. This is not our best olympics but we are nowhere near as bad as Great Britains pathetic effort at 1996. Suck it up, your country has been at a sh!tter point in time then we have been. SHUT UP

You see, this is exactly the type of response I would expect from your sort. You desperately drag up history of 16years past to try to make a point whilst most intelligent people live in the present and in the future and all you can do is resort to personal attacks. Pathetic.

No, Kernob ... err, Baaa Baaa Blacksheep's bleetings.

More evidence of your arrogance here Sir Rols eh

You see, this is exactly the type of response I would expect from your sort. You desperately drag up history of 16years past to try to make a point whilst most intelligent people live in the present and in the future and all you can do is resort to personal attacks. Pathetic.

More evidence of your arrogance here Sir Rols eh

Personal attacks um? "government in Canberra are going to make humility part of the national curriculum after results from the last couple of Olympics" Your bringing up our past even though this is our only bad games. Everyone has there off games like Great Britain as i clearly said earlier. That wasn't a personal attackm you have attacked our country as your comment that Australia should instead spend money on improving athletes then bidding Brisbane 2036. That's a personal attack. Pot kettle black. There is and always will be an ongoing fun rivalry between Great Britain and Australia and right now GB is on top.

Sorry couldn't resist the jab he made.

But amazing post!

Thanks for the compliment but don't act like such an idiot.

You're both ruining this thread. Be gone, both of you... back to the playground.

Edited by greenandblue
  • Like 1

Blacksheep -

I'm wondering how old you are because it appears you have a very limited understanding of the context of whats going on. Firstly, in terms of a bet between sports ministers, this is something that first occurred during the 1992 Barcelona Olympics - when both nations were vying for the 2000 Olympics. You cannot lump call us "arrogant as usual" when this is something that has been going on for over 20 years. British performance at the 2012 Olympics is astonishing and something for the nation to be extremely proud of. Our media has actually reported this very clearly (duh, we're not a police state) and has been quite positive about. In fact, if there is any enduring savagery in our media its towards the AOC and what was seen as the failure of our swimming team. People really couldn't care less about how well Team GB does, its the host nation, success is (usually) a given. Any smack given to Team GB is part of the banter - and if you don't understand this then you fundamentally fail to understand the immense good-natured historic sporting rivalry between the two nations. I understand that you were fighting fire with fire (thats you, Olympic fan darcy), but to put down Australia's sporting efforts is immensely ignorant on your own part. We are an extremely consistent team at the Olympics, and are even starting to grow as a small force at the Winter Olympics too. Our AIS is something that became a model for the rest of the world.

We'll see you in Rio. ;)

GreenandBlue, I am well aware of the history of the bet. And whilst you might try to call it good natured, a lot of the rivalry by certain fans has gone beyond this. After Beijing, it is somewhat offensive to call it the 'home factor' - for the last 16 years proper investment and support has finally been given to our competitors and this has been reflected in our improving performances in 2000, 2004 and 2008 yet many are still suggesting its somehow a flash in the pan. Yet we still have uninformed comments of how we are somehow investing like the Chinese do - the vast majority comes via the National Lottery and anyone who can use google could immediately find this out rather than implying that somehow we've given our athletes an unfair advantage.

As for 2010, a lot of that wrath was due to the death of the Georgian luge competitor. Overall most of the press was positive, and shared the relief of Canada when the home nation finally won a gold and then proceeded to excel.

Personally I couldn't care less how Australia does in the games apart from the usual approach of supporting anyone before Australia as no doubt Australians do when watching an event where a British team or athlete competes.

GreenandBlue, I am well aware of the history of the bet.

Apparently not.

And whilst you might try to call it good natured, a lot of the rivalry by certain fans has gone beyond this.

Yep. You're one of them. It works both sides. Sour people ruin fun and Games by taking it too seriously. Well done.

After Beijing, it is somewhat offensive to call it the 'home factor' - for the last 16 years proper investment and support has finally been given to our competitors and this has been reflected in our improving performances in 2000, 2004 and 2008 yet many are still suggesting its somehow a flash in the pan. Yet we still have uninformed comments of how we are somehow investing like the Chinese do - the vast majority comes via the National Lottery and anyone who can use google could immediately find this out rather than implying that somehow we've given our athletes an unfair advantage.

16 years of work? Not exactly, lottery or not, there has been a marked increase in funding allocated for London 2012, and without that GB would not be in 3rd spot today... I'm not sure that this money would have been allocated had 2012 been in Paris.

"Great Britain's impressive form at the Olympics follows a massive cash injection after London won its bid to host the Games. UK Sport's funding increased from £70 million for the 2004 Athens Games to £235 million for Beijing."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/london-2012/9458510/4.6-million-the-cost-of-an-British-Olympic-medal.html

Personally I couldn't care less how Australia does in the games apart from the usual approach of supporting anyone before Australia as no doubt Australians do when watching an event where a British team or athlete competes.

Wow, what a sweeping generalisation. I'm not sure why you're so angry towards a nation thats arguably closer to the UK in culture and national psyche than anywhere else on earth. You're being mean spirited and entirely missing the point of what the Olympics are all about.

This isn't about being Australian or British or Sudanese. This is about being a nationalist fool blinded by jingoism. Grow up.

• Like 1

Wow, what a sweeping generalisation. I'm not sure why you're so angry towards a nation thats arguably closer to the UK in culture and national psyche than anywhere else on earth. You're being mean spirited and entirely missing the point of what the Olympics are all about.

Exactly, if there's one thing being in London for these games has brought home to me, is how close we and the British are in attitudes, outlook, culture, humour and, yes, a grudging affection. I've probably never felt more at home anywhere else in the world.

If there's a flip side to that, it's that we know all too well which buttons to press on each other. But I've seen little, if any, of that here. Except for some dark ovines.

Edited by Sir Rols

Apparently not.

Yep. You're one of them. It works both sides. Sour people ruin fun and Games by taking it too seriously. Well done.

16 years of work? Not exactly, lottery or not, there has been a marked increase in funding allocated for London 2012, and without that GB would not be in 3rd spot today... I'm not sure that this money would have been allocated had 2012 been in Paris.

"Great Britain's impressive form at the Olympics follows a massive cash injection after London won its bid to host the Games. UK Sport's funding increased from £70 million for the 2004 Athens Games to £235 million for Beijing."

http://www.telegraph...mpic-medal.html

This isn't about being Australian or British or Sudanese. This is about being a nationalist fool blinded by jingoism. Grow up.

1. Apparently not? You're allowing your arrogance to show. It was well reported the forfeit the British minister had to do.

2. No, I'm reminding you of your pre-games boasting - and continued needle in the first few days -to the point where it seemed the Australians were more interested in how the British appeared not to have shown up rather than how your own sportsmen were doing.

3. Yes exactly that. Maybe you should read the article properly before commenting on it.

The National Lottery was set up by Sir John Major with a direct requirement to put money into such causes as they met certain criteria.

After Sydney 2000, the National Lottery provided £70m for Athens 2004. After the significant improvement and having met that criteria there was an increase to £235m for Beijing 2008. And then having done well there, there was an increase to £264m for London 2012 - so basically an extra £29m between 2008 and 2012 compared to the £165m increase between 2004 and 2008. It is based directly on exceeding pre-games targets set in each respective sport ---- some sports had their funding cut in the run up to London 2012 !!!!

4. Closer to culture and national psyche? Now you are just being insulting. And massively inaccurate. I would wonder if you've ever been to the UK to make such a remark? - p.s. I've been to Australia and spent 3 months in Sydney.

So maybe you should be the one to grow up.

because I've been to Olympic events when the Australians were politely aplauded and indeed cheered by the British and other events prior to the games where the 'Pommie bastards' have been jeered by the Australians.

Take the complete lack of grace with which Howard handed Johnson the Webb Ellis Trophy on 22/11/2003 as an example.

At least you know your geography though

australia.jpg

Courtesy of NBC

1. Apparently not? You're allowing your arrogance to show. It was well reported the forfeit the British minister had to do.

What arrogance? You legitimately didn't seem aware of the fact that this bet has been ongoing since 1992. You implied that this was just something thought up by the Australian Sports Minister, as if it were a one way street. For the record, she's a politician doing her job sticking by the athletes she represents... what on earth do you expect her to do? Lundy is the least arrogant politician, if there ever was one. She's given her congrats to Team GB with a beaming smile, and is going to row Eton. You seem to be unable to see this this is GOOD NATURED. It only goes wrong when people like you misinterpret it. Australians went into these Olympics, overall, knowing it would be tough due to cuts made by the current Government. We went in with heads high. You might call this arrogance, others might call it pride.

2. No, I'm reminding you of your pre-games boasting - and continued needle in the first few days -to the point where it seemed the Australians were more interested in how the British appeared not to have shown up rather than how your own sportsmen were doing.

Who are "the Australians"? The media? The people? Are you actually judging an entire nation based on the vibe you are getting from media outlets?

3. Yes exactly that. Maybe you should read the article properly before commenting on it.

The National Lottery was set up by Sir John Major with a direct requirement to put money into such causes as they met certain criteria.

After Sydney 2000, the National Lottery provided £70m for Athens 2004. After the significant improvement and having met that criteria there was an increase to £235m for Beijing 2008. And then having done well there, there was an increase to £264m for London 2012 - so basically an extra £29m between 2008 and 2012 compared to the £165m increase between 2004 and 2008. It is based directly on exceeding pre-games targets set in each respective sport ---- some sports had their funding cut in the run up to London 2012 !!!!

I get your point. You're trying to twist my words to somehow imply that I don't understand how this works.

4. Closer to culture and national psyche? Now you are just being insulting. And massively inaccurate. I would wonder if you've ever been to the UK to make such a remark? - p.s. I've been to Australia and spent 3 months in Sydney.

Ok, now you're just being silly. I'm trying to level with you and identify our common ground for the good of this thread, and you're throwing it back in my face. Yes, the UK and Australia are arguably closer in culture and national psyche than other nations. Where has Australia's national psyche mostly come from? France? For someone who calls others "arrogant", it's pretty offensive for you to refer to my comparison as insulting, given that historically Australia has stuck by the UK through thick and thin. It doesn't matter if you've been here, it doesn't matter if I've been there (FYI-I actually hold a British passport), what matters is that you show a fundamental failure to understand the historical context of what you purport to an an expert on.

because I've been to Olympic events when the Australians were politely aplauded and indeed cheered by the British and other events prior to the games where the 'Pommie bastards' have been jeered by the Australians.

You're an astounding hypocrite. While I am sure there are a few Australians behaving badly, I also don't doubt there are British fans doing the same (you actually seem like one of these people). You're using sweeping generalisations about something that cannot be measured, and I don't buy it. You need a lesson in Critical Analysis 101.

You seem to have a short memory, because during the Sydney 2000 Olympics it was noted in the international media how well every athlete was cheered by the crowds. Athletes themselves mentioned that the crowds felt more enthusiastic than previous Olympics. Similar praise has been heaped on London crowds.

Take the complete lack of grace with which Howard handed Johnson the Webb Ellis Trophy on 22/11/2003 as an example.

At least you know your geography though

What does John Howard have to do with anything? You've completely lost track what point you're even trying to make.. it's bordering on trolling. What do you honestly expect us to do? Side with you while you go on a character assassination of my country? I'm wondering what's happened to you to make you so angry. This reflects more on the state of your personality than any international sports rivalry. For someone who's just spent the day at the greatest sporting event on earth, you don't seem like you've gained anything good from it.

Edited by greenandblue