Sign in to follow this  
runningrings

(serious) predictions for 2020/22/24/26

No way. Bulgaria is way to unsafe for me. Know that sounds harsh but i would definitely not travel there. I'd love Harbin to host

Bulgaria unsafe? Sure there was the terrorist attack on Israeli a few weeks ago, but every countries has unfortunately know the same things.

I spent 2 weeks in Bulgaria and i never felt in danger day or night, i was in Sofia's city center and the countryside.

I went to Belgrade, Sofia, Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius, Warsaw, Krakow, Prague, Bratislave, Budapest, Zagreb, Istanbul, sometimes alone and i never had any trouble or felt unsafe.

Of course i assume Eastern Europe must have been way different and much more unsafe 25 years ago, but i don't get why it still has that bad reputation nowadays.

I think that Eastern Europe is safe, but 25 years ago, indeed, for a visitor, it was very safe (this was still the Soviet block, and the criminality was therefore quite low).

Coming back to Winter Games in China, there is always talk of Harbin, but I remember that Changchun hosted the Winter Asian Games in 2007. Is there something which would prohibit Changchun to be the Chinese applicant city ?

I think that Eastern Europe is safe, but 25 years ago, indeed, for a visitor, it was very safe (this was still the Soviet block, and the criminality was therefore quite low).

Coming back to Winter Games in China, there is always talk of Harbin, but I remember that Changchun hosted the Winter Asian Games in 2007. Is there something which would prohibit Changchun to be the Chinese applicant city ?

Interesting point about Changchun. THe ski resort is 3 hours away shorter then Harbin. It also hosted the more recent Asian Winter Games and I think its the better bet for China to go with. The snow area hosts freestyle skiing world cups every year so experience is there.

Alternatively they can go with Jilin City. That actually is there best.

2020 - Tokyo

2022 - Munich, Switzerland (St Moritz), or Finland (Helsinki)

2024 - North Americia (Toronto or USA City, Dallas, Chicago or Philadelphia)

2026 - Harbin, China

2028 - Africa (Cape Town)

2030 - North Amrica (country that doesn't get 2024 games)

2032 - Paris

2034 - Europe

2036 - Brisbane

2028 - Africa (Cape Town)

2030 - North Amrica (country that doesn't get 2024 games)

2032 - Paris

2034 - Europe

2036 - Brisbane

Hate to sound like a control freak - but guessing up to 2026 is sketchy as it is, so defiantly labelling Brisbane as host of 2036 is redundant.

Yes, and since 2005 there hasn't been a major terrorist attack. I do think Paris would have won if the IOC voting was the day after the bombings.

You're missing the point completely. Even before 7/7 it was no secret that London was a big terrorist target, always has been and always will be. Sad reality of the globalised society we live in - no where on earth, and more specifically, no Olympics, are immune.

Beijing is communist and South Korea is next to North Korea - but both of them have decent security in their capital and major cities.

Beijing being communist has nothing to do with this, nor does North Korea. You seem to have a very limited understanding of how the world works, which is why I find your sweeping generalisations irritating.

Now compare this to Istanbul, things are not as secure at all.

If you're such an expert on the internal security of Turkey, then please elaborate further. Back up what you claim.

I don't want anyone to read this and think I'm anti-turkey. Of course Id like to see the Olympic games in Istanbul, it would be a great opportunity for the country to show it's culture and ability to host major events. I am only discussing the topic of security because I do feel it would harm the city's chance of winning.

But what you "feel" actually has no bearing on what the reality of the situation is. Reality is that Turkey takes security seriously, it has a large military, and is quite capable of looking after itself. I can't help but feel you are anti Turkey when you're making up ridiculous assumptions as to why they can't host, and then presenting it as fact. I'm not sure what your bone is with its candidacy, but your assumption that it should not get the Olympics on the basis of security fears alone is redundant and shows your completely lack of understanding of the bigger picture.

Edited by greenandblue

Sofia not safe its right beside Istanbul? This from the person who support Doha which is in a more volatile middle East.

In 1992 Sofia was close to winning.

Well when i hear things about Bulgaria it's always shady stories someone been set up by corrupt cops etc etc. As for Doha, Qatar is becoming an up and coming nation which'll host the 2022 wc. There was bribery no doubt but it's clearly not a sh$thole if they scored almost as high as Italy on the IOC report or higher then Rio in 2016. Anyway that's off the topic.

Well when i hear things about Bulgaria it's always shady stories someone been set up by corrupt cops etc etc. As for Doha, Qatar is becoming an up and coming nation which'll host the 2022 wc. There was bribery no doubt but it's clearly not a sh$thole if they scored almost as high as Italy on the IOC report or higher then Rio in 2016. Anyway that's off the topic.

I'd rather be holed up in a Bulgarian Prison than in Qatar. Bulgaria is a member of the EU and accountable to that. Blatant corruption, labour exploitation, and human rights abuses are rife in Qatar.

• Like 1

Err

So there was one terrorist attack in Sofia. I mean there have been mass shootings in Denver .... does that make Denver unsafe?

Bulgaria has a significant and expanding skiing tourism sector and Sofia as a city would be more than capable of hosting a games. It is shockingly naive to state otherwise.

As for Brisbane in 2036 I think the money would be better spent on investing in sports and athletes ....... :P

Changchun, hosts of the 2007 Asian Winter Games is an interesting shout. (7million+ inhabitants)

The Alpine events were held at Beida Lake which has a vertical of 822m and is 165km (rather than 240km from Harbin to Yabuli)

They have a 25,000 seat soccer stadium which could be expanded for the ceremones, and a 11,500 seat arena which has already held ice events. There is another older arena big enough for curling at the very least.

Jilin City (4million+) in the same province of Jilin is even closer to Beida Lake at 65km only - there are an additional four ski resorts close by and could service as a base for all the Alpine and outdoor events

Actually, everyone doesn't know this. The US has no city making even the first steps towards a bid, and the economic conditions that kept RSA's government from supporting a 2020 bid are still around. Each could come up with a strong bid, but there's a ton of uncertainty.

Should Tokyo lose to Madrid, Europe gets knocked out for 2024 and suddenly 2024 could start to look *very* good for Tokyo.

Of course there's uncertainty. Conventional wisdom would still suggest SA, USA and Europe will be clamoring for their chances in the next few cycles. No, we don't know who will bid when for what, but there have been enough quotes from Ramsamy and the USOC (plus Europe is always a safe bet), that I think my reasonably open-ended statement (in terms of timeline) is totally fair.

Plus, if you read my post, I said Tokyo could come back for 2024/28 and be a favorite. I wasn't ruling them out. I was questioning their argument that 2020 is their "last chance."

Of course there's uncertainty. Conventional wisdom would still suggest SA, USA and Europe will be clamoring for their chances in the next few cycles.

That's something *you* believe. Fine. You may be right. You may be wrong. Let's hear why you believe it. But don't try and claim that everyone just automatically agrees with you.

That's something *you* believe. Fine. You may be right. You may be wrong. Let's hear why you believe it. But don't try and claim that everyone just automatically agrees with you.

I would never claim everyone agrees with me. Obviously you don't.

If you read these boards consistently, most of us do seem to expect that SA, USA and Europe are gunning for Summer Games. Not sure what you find offensive there. It's a pretty broad statement.

You asked me to explain myself:

Why SA?

Frequent quotes expressing desire from Ramsamy, SASOC and others. Successful WC. IOC is pleading for Games in Africa. Almost bid for 2020.

Why USA?

Last hosted Winter Games. Last 2 bids for SOGs. Have been working hard to curry favor with IOC and signed unfavorable revenue deal. Passed on 2022 though they could have bid. Announced plans to explore 2024 and 2026. As an athletic and economic power that bankrolls much of the Olympic Movement and is heading into one of its longest periods without hosting the Games, it seems likely they will want to host soon.

Why Europe?

As many have pointed out, Europe doesn't seem to go more than two cycles without hosting. There are many capable cities in Europe wanting to host such as Rome, Madrid and Paris -- all of whom have previously bid for SOGs and lost.

Disagree to your heart's content.

Yes, Bulgaria is an EU member... one that was explicitly kept out of the Schengen Area for at least 5 years both to keep it's inhabitants from flooding into Western Europe and because the Bulgarian passports are easily purchased from corrupt officials.

Err

So there was one terrorist attack in Sofia. I mean there have been mass shootings in Denver .... does that make Denver unsafe?

Bulgaria has a significant and expanding skiing tourism sector and Sofia as a city would be more than capable of hosting a games. It is shockingly naive to state otherwise.

As for Brisbane in 2036 I think the money would be better spent on investing in sports and athletes ....... :P

It's not about medals but if we are talking about that lets look at our next host. Rio Brazil current medal tally Brazil 25th 2 gold 1 silver 7 bronze. Australia 5 gold 12 silver 9 bronze. coming 11th. Tell me more about how we are doing that crap. Anyway what i've heard of Bulgaria has been negative i'm sure it's a lovely place. Not being naive. Now go back to your idiotic pipe dream of Philadelphia winning 2024.

Back to medal tally. Bulgaria didn't even win ANY medal in 2010. Even Australia (A country which is NOT a winter olympic powerhouse got 2 gold and 1 silver. So stfu

I know i said medal tally doesn't matter but you said Australia did crap so i was showing others that do worse

It's not about medals but if we are talking about that lets look at our next host. Rio Brazil current medal tally Brazil 25th 2 gold 1 silver 7 bronze. Australia 5 gold 12 silver 9 bronze. coming 11th. Tell me more about how we are doing that crap. Anyway what i've heard of Bulgaria has been negative i'm sure it's a lovely place. Not being naive. Now go back to your idiotic pipe dream of Philadelphia winning 2024.

Back to medal tally. Bulgaria didn't even win ANY medal in 2010. Even Australia (A country which is NOT a winter olympic powerhouse got 2 gold and 1 silver. So stfu

I know i said medal tally doesn't matter but you said Australia did crap so i was showing others that do worse

e

I believe the Aussie Sports Minister made the usual arrogant bet about how the Pommies will be stuffed in the medals table by the Australians and have been even more humiliated than Beijing with you conceding defeat barely into Week 2. And unlike Sydney 2000 we are likely to exceed your medal total and not do so with the lesser medals. A new vintage of 'Aussie Whine' is about to be uncorked.

For those interested the humiliating spectacle of the Aussie Sports Minister rowing at Eton Dorney is due to be held at 8am GMT on Monday 13th August

Oh wow one person said that therefore it's true wrong. Australia still has more medals and we are tied for silver. + Not only does Great Britain have nearly triple our population (Don't bother with the if population matters then why isnt bangladesh etc going well because Great Britain would've pumped money like China and like many countries do into there sports) but it is also made up of 3 different countries. Good on them that they got more golds then us but for a small country like Australia top 10 is freaking amazing. 5 Many were dissapointed after swimming but we rebounded strongly and are now looking at a top 10 finish.

Anyway all of this is irrelevant as Australia clearly does not need more investment as for our country size (52nd in the world) a top 10 finish since 1988 is pretty damn good and i am proud of my country.

Oh wow one person said that therefore it's true wrong. Australia still has more medals and we are tied for silver. + Not only does Great Britain have nearly triple our population (Don't bother with the if population matters then why isnt bangladesh etc going well because Great Britain would've pumped money like China and like many countries do into there sports) but it is also made up of 3 different countries. Good on them that they got more golds then us but for a small country like Australia top 10 is freaking amazing. 5 Many were dissapointed after swimming but we rebounded strongly and are now looking at a top 10 finish.

Anyway all of this is irrelevant as Australia clearly does not need more investment as for our country size (52nd in the world) a top 10 finish since 1988 is pretty damn good and i am proud of my country.

Great Britain pumping money into sports like China? ... UTTER UTTER UTTER NONSENSE. In fact if anything it is the total reverse. Most of our top athletes are funded by the national lottery only and receive ZERO GOVERNMENT HELP and many have had their funding withdrawn so have had to rely on friends and family only because in previous years they'd not achieved high enough results.

Proportionally, Australia spend far more on sports and their athletes than the UK does.

Where do you get your drivel from? If you can't be bothered to do some research don't comment

Great Britain is made up of 3 different countries? So is Quebec a seperate country in Canada, Texas a seperate country in the USA, Catalonia a seperate country in Spain, Bavaria a seperate country in Germany ............... there is no difference !!! The only reason why there are seperate football and rugby teams is because of historical reasons.

Australia are globally renowned as the most boastful and gloating of sporting nations but of course its clever to lower your aspirations when you fail to meet them.

Waiter to customer: "How would you like your steak?"

Customer; "Like an Aussie Gold Medal".

Waiter, "Rare it is then sir".

No no no and no. Ok well i'll start telling people England is hosting the 2014 games or Great Britain and NOT Scotland. I'm still very happy with how Australia has gone compared to our population. And i'm pretty sure Great Britain is pretty darn boastful too. I do remember after Beijing seeing news reports with Great Britain saying Australia where the hell were you (reference to our old tourism slogan)

Still very pleased :)

No no no and no. Ok well i'll start telling people England is hosting the 2014 games or Great Britain and NOT Scotland. I'm still very happy with how Australia has gone compared to our population. And i'm pretty sure Great Britain is pretty darn boastful too. I do remember after Beijing seeing news reports with Great Britain saying Australia where the hell were you (reference to our old tourism slogan)

Still very pleased :)

Because the Commonwealth is completely different - the Queen due to historic convention is the Queen of both Scotland and England and her son the Prince of Wales ... the Scottish monarchy took over in England in 1603 and the two countries became officially united in 1707 before the modern idea of nationhood took place - people bore allegiance to a monarch not a particular geographical area. And because of this anachonism you get the seperate home nations. Where is Scotland and Wales's seats in the United Nations? Don't they teach you anything in school? :huh::o

As for the GB comments AFTER the Beijing Games, this was in response to Australia telling us how they would thrash us BEFORE the Games started - oh dear more pregames boasting followed by postgames humiliation.

Meh i really don't mind, i'm proud of our Aussies and i do think it was stupid if anyone thought we would do better then Great Britain in there own home country. Anyway off to celebrate the gold we just won :D

Meh i really don't mind, i'm proud of our Aussies and i do think it was stupid if anyone thought we would do better then Great Britain in there own home country. Anyway off to celebrate the gold we just won :D

Congrats ... we are celebrating the 25 we have won (Australia only won 16 at Sydney)

Oi, Baa Baa. Everywhere I've been in the games here in London, the Brits have been welcoming and gracious and even supportive of the Oz team - any rivalry's ben very friendly banter. You're about the only nasty Pom with a chip on their shoulder I've come across. Everone else has been wonderful and the UK has staged a great games. What's up, pissed off because we keep picking holes in your pet bidding fantasies?

Also, for the record, Australia NEVER predicted we'd smash Britain here - we were aiming at 6th on the table at highest, thought that would even be tough, and well expected GB to finish 3rd or 4th. I think the insecurities showing are your own.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2