(serious) predictions for 2020/22/24/26

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russia. Canada.

What the? Two countries who hosted the most recent and next WOG for the 2026 WOG?

Rogge did suggest it in an interview with CBC.ca news and at a certain point I have no doubt the mountain solution will be resolved

He suggest everything! It would be diplomatically incorrect for him to say no this city sucks and can't bid.

What the? Two countries who hosted the most recent and next WOG for the 2026 WOG?

He suggest everything! It would be diplomatically incorrect for him to say no this city sucks and can't bid.

If the two previous winter games were to be held in Europe, then they would be the only choices. That is if the US isn't interested and the 2028 games are in an far east asian country.

I always wondered if rather than look for a higher mountain, what they might look to do is reclaim some land from the St Lawrence seaway ... this would give you a 806m vertical and as in Kvitfjell where the Olympic course went over the railway line, and then have a run off area on reclaimed land. I mean the Dutch, East Asians and those in the Middle East have been reclaiming land from the sea for centuries.

I always wondered if rather than look for a higher mountain, what they might look to do is reclaim some land from the St Lawrence seaway ... this would give you a 806m vertical and as in Kvitfjell where the Olympic course went over the railway line, and then have a run off area on reclaimed land. I mean the Dutch, East Asians and those in the Middle East have been reclaiming land from the sea for centuries.

OK, may be logistically feasible...but will the Federation for skiing approve it? They may NOT necessarily do so.

/\/\ Le Massif - how far is that from Quebec City? Does it even have the right atmospheric conditions to produce snow, if even by fake snow machines? So with the added altitude, will it be big enough to absorb the end-of-the-line crowds and other logistical support? With Montreal/ the province of Quebec's past hosting record, I don't think that puts Quebec in good stead.

OK, may be logistically feasible...but will the Federation for skiing approve it? They may NOT necessarily do so.

Agreed but looking at Le Massif, it is a tough mountain with 35% of its runs marked extremely difficult. Whilst lengthening the course might be tricky it could be possible to track across the cliff face as appropriate and as with both Kvitfjell and Wengen allow the bottom section to be more a long run into the finish line. If land is reclaimed and they still can't fashion a challenging enough course I'd question their abilities.

Spot on. Rogge is a gigantic "YES" man. One quality I hope to see in the next Olympic president is a bit more caution, while still maintaining diplomacy. I feel that Rogge underestimates the power of his words (Governments can take it as gospel praise, exclusive to them), and has given false hope to many cities over the past decade.

Has he really? We don't have too many ridiculous cities coming forward to bid based solely on Rogge's words. If anything, there's been a drying up of interest in bidding for the Games in the last four cycles.

I think so, it seemed particulary noticable in the 2012 race, with the higher amount of Applicant cities. IIRC I first noticed it in relation to his praising of the German Olympic Committee's selection of Leipzig as a 2012 candidate; and twice in relation to Delhi, firstly I vividly remember not long after him coming into office reading about him encouraging a Delhi 2012 Olympic bid, and then brought it up again during the 2010 Commonwealth Games preparations (although I'm sure this was before the true extent of their organisational errors became apparent).

Rogge has to...because otherwise, the IOC (and the world as a consequence) will be left with just those pesky Gulf states, Doha and Dubai, to stage their beloved spectacles. So I'd give Rogge more credit than people here give him. He has tried to save the (Olympic) world from more than just another Lawrence of Arabia redux. Qatar 2022 didn't happen on his watch.

IIRC I first noticed it in relation to his praising of the German Olympic Committee's selection of Leipzig as a 2012 candidate;

Really? I don't remember that. But like it's been mentioned, what's he suppose to say? "Sorry DOSB, but you picked a real 'dud' as your candidate. Your not going to have make candidate stage with this joke of a bid". He's a diplomat, & diplomats always have a tendency of providing great lip-service, even though if they secretly know that certain efforts are futile.

*You're not going to even make, that's suppose to read.

Really? I don't remember that. But like it's been mentioned, what's he suppose to say? "Sorry DOSB, but you picked a real 'dud' as your candidate. Your not going to have make candidate stage with this joke of a bid". He's a diplomat, & diplomats always have a tendency of providing great lip-service, even though if they secretly know that certain efforts are futile.

*You're not going to even make, that's suppose to read.

I have no desire to be IOC president (and it's a good thing because it will never happen). I can imagine it's tough balancing diplomacy and truth. In my opinion, however, Rogge has gotten the balance wrong too often. When you say something like "Leipzig is a great choice," you're just telling people to pay absolutely no attention to anything that comes out of your mouth because you will always say what people want to hear whether it is truthful or not.

A diplomatic answer would have been, "We are absolutely delighted to have another bid from Germany. Germany has been a superb partner for the Olympic Movement and we know Germany is capable of organizing magnificent Games. We look forward to working with them in this exciting bid process."

If the USA does not bid for 2026, then you're North American option is Canada.

It can be argued I think quite convincing that Quebec is a completely different culture than the rest of North America and the IOC could readily consider Canada again if that pesky 30m at Le Massif can be addressed.

It just doesn't make sense for Canada to get a third WOG. Three sliding tracks in one country? Not necessary at all. Rene Fasel the president of the IIHF wasn't even open to Canada for the 2026 games.

I agree. I don't think they'll have any problem going back to back in Europe, especially if 2024 is outside of Europe (and probably even if it is).

It just doesn't make sense for Canada to get a third WOG. Three sliding tracks in one country? Not necessary at all. Rene Fasel the president of the IIHF wasn't even open to Canada for the 2026 games.

Ski jumps are a bigger issue. It is now possible to build temporary sliding tracks. I mean, Germany has 4 sliding tracks.

Germany has more then twice Canada's population. Luge is like a religion there.

Oh I agree.

But then with the exception of Lake Placid, there is no sliding track on the east coast.

At some point any country including the USA will build more tracks unless there is a plan to simply use existing hosts. With the opportunity to build a temporary track this should be a way out of that conundrum

Archived