(serious) predictions for 2020/22/24/26

Welllllll....

2020 Istanbul, no question.

2022 Oslo / Zakopane -- Oslo because it's the trend to go for larger WG cities these days or Zakopane because Poland is an emerging market and the Polish half of Euro 2012 was excellent, in my opinion.

2024 A US city / Durban -- a US city like SF, I hope, but they haven't thrown their hat into the ring yet, so I reckon that old chestnut L.A., and Durban because like Poland, South Africa is another up-and-coming country we should not ignore.

2026 Santiago de Chile (South America, anyhow!) -- too much of a draw.

2028 Tokyo / Amsterdam / St Petersburg / Melbourne -- by now, time to return to a moderate climate.

<<<!!!BUT!!!>>>

2030 Aviemore-Glasgow / Falun -- yes, I think the cooling climate and the advancing technology will allow for a winter OG in Scotland by then! And Falun, because I think Sweden is another sadly ignored host nation.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welllllll....

2020 Istanbul, no question.

2022 Oslo / Zakopane -- Oslo because it's the trend to go for larger WG cities these days or Zakopane because Poland is an emerging market and the Polish half of Euro 2012 was excellent, in my opinion.

2024 A US city / Durban -- a US city like SF, I hope, but they haven't thrown their hat into the ring yet, so I reckon that old chestnut L.A., and Durban because like Poland, South Africa is another up-and-coming country we should not ignore.

2026 Santiago de Chile (South America, anyhow!) -- too much of a draw.

2028 Tokyo / Amsterdam / St Petersburg / Melbourne -- by now, time to return to a moderate climate.

<<<!!!BUT!!!>>>

2030 Aviemore-Glasgow / Falun -- yes, I think the cooling climate and the advancing technology will allow for a winter OG in Scotland by then! And Falun, because I think Sweden is another sadly ignored host nation.

2020 Agreed

2022 the issue with Poland is environmental issue and whether they may need to go to Slovakia for some skiing

2024 not Paris?

2026 I think it will be a North American or Asian city. The southern hemisphere/out of season issue remains. Possibly Christchurch/NZ could be an option as a number of training camps are held here

2028 South Africa if Amsterdam don't bid

2030 Falun cannot host as it is too far from the mountains. If Glasgow occurs it will not be Aviemore but Glencoe as Aviemore is not high enough

I have a feeling Paris may get jilted for 2024. As we approach a new century of the Olympic Games with many 'centennnials' of previous Olympics coming up, it might not be a good precident to start awarding the Olympcis to a city that marks a previous hosting, like Paris 2024 with 1924. I think with the probability of Istanbul for 2020, and then Europe in 2022, this could push back Paris' chances. I think Paris has nothing to gain from "testing the waters", so if we have Turkey in 2020, Germany/Norway in 2022, I think France should obstain from 2024 and go for gold in 2028 - even though that itself would come up against rival bids from the US or South Africa.

Poor Paris. 2012 really was that missed opportunity. I can still see them getting shafted throughout the 2020's.

I really don't see an istanbul win hindering any Western European bids. Turkey isn't "traditional" Europe, so I really couldn't see many IOC members being automatically turned off by Western European bids.

Besides, Tokyo looks like the one that has the edge in this race so far. So France &/or Germany should be following closely if they're even remotely interested on the 2024 Games.

I really don't see an istanbul win hindering any Western European bids. Turkey isn't "traditional" Europe, so I really couldn't see many IOC members being automatically turned off by Western European bids.

Besides, Tokyo looks like the one that has the edge in this race so far. So France &/or Germany should be following closely if they're even remotely interested on the 2024 Games.

Since 1988 an far Asian country has hosted the games every ten years so I don't see Tokyo winning 2020. As far a Istanbul not being a "traditional" city, who cares. Istanbul is a world city that could host the games if given the opportunity. I think that the games should go to Istanbul. A beautiful city that has never been given the opportunity. Tokyo's hosted before and Spain's economy is awful. I don't see why Istanbul should be ruled out.

Istanbul alone doesn't eliminate Europe for 2024, but I think Istanbul plus a traditional European host for 2022 tip the scales away from Europe for 2024. I'm not saying it would be impossible for them to win, just less likely.

I think that Istanbul is somewhat like Moscow, technically a European city, but with a foot half in the door and another out. It could go either way. Although admittedly, I can't see the reverse happening - eg/ Tokyo getting backlash on a 2024 bid because a quarter of Istanbul 2020 was held on the Asian side ! :D

Since 1988 an far Asian country has hosted the games every ten years so I don't see Tokyo winning 2020. As far a Istanbul not being a "traditional" city, who cares. Istanbul is a world city that could host the games if given the opportunity. I think that the games should go to Istanbul. A beautiful city that has never been given the opportunity. Tokyo's hosted before and Spain's economy is awful. I don't see why Istanbul should be ruled out.

Asia getting alternating Summer & Winter Olympics every 10 years since 1988 is merely a coincedence, & not a "rule". For 1988, the IOC only had two Asian contenders to choose from for those Games, so it was obvious that those Olympics were going to Asia, regardless. This trend is bound to be broken sooner or later. It's almost happened twice in the past. I can't see IOC members voting on the simple N trivial premise that "oh, Asia has to wait 10 years between Games bcuz that's the way it's been since 1988". That's a bit naive, TBH.

Plus, I'm sure the Japanese aren't spending millions & millions of Yens on yet another expensive & exhaustive bid just to be told "no, you have to wait 'til 2028, cuz that's the way it's been for Asia since 1988". The Japanese R in it to win it. Not to prove some imaginary rule. Tokyo did host already, but that was over half a century ago, & they are also the capital of the 3rd largest economy in the world. They know how to orchestrate high-profile events. They have the know-how & money to do it. The IOC would know that they would be getting a very competent partner. That alone is worth a lot, & not to be simply dismissed, again, on some imaginary rule. Japan is an interesting & intriguing culture that would also make a great host.

Istanbul would be great, too. With it's exotic appeal & new experience. But I'm still not convinced with their spread-out, logistically challenged project, which they really haven't improved upon much from their 4 previous failed attempts. The Turks R still uknown waters, as far as the IOC is concerned. They also don't have much clout in the organization. And if Rio's 2016 preperations run into bigger problems come next year closer to vote time for 2020, that's not gonna do the Istanbul 2020 bid any favors. The IOC will then want to focus on the most reliable partner of the 3 candidates.

And what I meant about 'traditional' (which you took outta context) as far as Istanbul, is that as far as other European bids for 2024 are concerned, an Istanbul 2020 win wouldn't have that much of an impact on those other bids since Turkey is not a "traditional" Western European country. That was in response to some that say Istanbul 2020 would impede Europe for 2024, which is what I disagree with. NOT to be confused that Istanbul is "ruled out" & couldn't win 2020 bcuz they're not a traditional Western European country. That's not what I meant.

Asia getting alternating Summer & Winter Olympics every 10 years since 1988 is merely a coincedence, & not a "rule". For 1988, the IOC only had two Asian contenders to choose from for those Games, so it was obvious that those Olympics were going to Asia, regardless. This trend is bound to be broken sooner or later. It's almost happened twice in the past. I can't see IOC members voting on the simple N trivial premise that "oh, Asia has to wait 10 years between Games bcuz that's the way it's been since 1988". That's a bit naive, TBH.

Plus, I'm sure the Japanese aren't spending millions & millions of Yens on yet another expensive & exhaustive bid just to be told "no, you have to wait 'til 2028, cuz that's the way it's been for Asia since 1988". The Japanese R in it to win it. Not to prove some imaginary rule. Tokyo did host already, but that was over half a century ago, & they are also the capital of the 3rd largest economy in the world. They know how to orchestrate high-profile events. They have the know-how & money to do it. The IOC would know that they would be getting a very competent partner. That alone is worth a lot, & not to be simply dismissed, again, on some imaginary rule. Japan is an interesting & intriguing culture that would also make a great host.

Istanbul would be great, too. With it's exotic appeal & new experience. But I'm still not convinced with their spread-out, logistically challenged project, which they really haven't improved upon much from their 4 previous failed attempts. The Turks R still uknown waters, as far as the IOC is concerned. They also don't have much clout in the organization. And if Rio's 2016 preperations run into bigger problems come next year closer to vote time for 2020, that's not gonna do the Istanbul 2020 bid any favors. The IOC will then want to focus on the most reliable partner of the 3 candidates.

And what I meant about 'traditional' (which you took outta context) as far as Istanbul, is that as far as other European bids for 2024 are concerned, an Istanbul 2020 win wouldn't have that much of an impact on those other bids since Turkey is not a "traditional" Western European country. That was in response to some that say Istanbul 2020 would impede Europe for 2024, which is what I disagree with. NOT to be confused that Istanbul is "ruled out" & couldn't win 2020 bcuz they're not a traditional Western European country. That's not what I meant.

If 2020 games do go to Istanbul, I think that they will affect 2024 games tremendously. 2022 are going to Europe unless Canada bids for them. I understand that winter and summer games are different, but I doubt the IOC will have the olympics in Europe 3 times in a row.

If 2020 games do go to Istanbul, I think that they will affect 2024 games tremendously.

This might affect Paris especially if the Winter Games in 2022 ends up in Munich (or Switzerland). Canada's next Olympics will be in the summer and in Toronto. I'm not sure that they will try to host another Winter Games anytime soon. It seems that both the U.S. and Canada are more interested in the Summer Games at the moment.

This might affect Paris especially if the Winter Games in 2022 ends up in Munich (or Switzerland). Canada's next Olympics will be in the summer and in Toronto. I'm not sure that they will try to host another Winter Games anytime soon. It seems that both the U.S. and Canada are more interested in the Summer Games at the moment.

I think if at least 20 years go by, with the US staging the Summer Olympics in the 2020's, we might just see a third Canadian Winter Olympics instead of a second Summer. The temptation to bid might build up too much, and given that Vancouver and Calgary are some of the most memorable Winter Games, a successful Canadian Winter bid in the 2030's is not entirely unlikely, with a potential USA Summer Games in the 2020's.

Talking of a future Canadian Olympics, with Toronto aside, is interesting in terms of where a third Canadian winter Games could most likely happen? Quebec City, if possible, would be my favourite, and would be a brilliant contrast to Vancouver and Calgary to show how truly amazing and diverse Canada is. Or could we see a second Calgary Olympics?

I think if at least 20 years go by, with the US staging the Summer Olympics in the 2020's, we might just see a third Canadian Winter Olympics instead of a second Summer. The temptation to bid might build up too much, and given that Vancouver and Calgary are some of the most memorable Winter Games, a successful Canadian Winter bid in the 2030's is not entirely unlikely, with a potential USA Summer Games in the 2020's.

Talking of a future Canadian Olympics, with Toronto aside, is interesting in terms of where a third Canadian winter Games could most likely happen? Quebec City, if possible, would be my favourite, and would be a brilliant contrast to Vancouver and Calgary to show how truly amazing and diverse Canada is. Or could we see a second Calgary Olympics?

Most likely a second Calgary Games. They likely will get a new arena and stadium by the end of the decade and besides the oval all other venue built for 88 are to an extent obsolete (such as the ski jumping hill).

If 2020 games do go to Istanbul, I think that they will affect 2024 games tremendously. 2022 are going to Europe unless Canada bids for them. I understand that winter and summer games are different, but I doubt the IOC will have the olympics in Europe 3 times in a row.

An Istanbul 2020 win would be the most neutral & ambiguous to any potential 2024 applicants. I really don't see Istanbul 2020 effecting 2024 "tremendously". Since they wouldn't cancel Asia out, like Tokyo would, or Western Europe, like Madrid would (which is what I meant when I said that Turkey is not a 'traditional' Western European country, & it could also be viewed by the IOC as not really being an exclusive European Games).

Istanbul 2020 would pretty much leave the door open to whomever might want to try for 2024, barring geopolitics. Of course, Western Europe could still wind-up not winning 2024, but that would more likely be bcuz there was a more compelling bid like from South Africa, or another good Asian bid coming from Japan again or maybe even China, etc rather than it being bcuz of Istanbul.

To host the Summer Olympic Games:

2020 - Istanbul (the favourite I think)

2024 - Toronto

2028 - Cape Town

2032 - Brisbane or Melbourne

2036 - US city (Chicago or New York)

(......)

2048 - LONDON

To host the Winter Olympic Games:

2022 - Oslo

2026 - Anchorage

2030 - Nanjing

2034 - Sion or Bern

2024 - Toronto

2028 - Cape Town

(......)

2048 - LONDON

More Anglophiles? Boring.

2022 - Oslo

2026 - Anchorage

2030 - Nanjing

2034 - Sion or Bern

The fact that Nanjing and its region is relatively flat and there is a lack of any suitable mountains within it, might pose a tiny issue when bidding. Why not

The fact that Nanjing and its region is relatively flat and there is a lack of any suitable mountains within it, might pose a tiny issue when bidding. Why not

Need I remind you more then 50% of Toronto's population does not speak English as its first language. But off course I get your anglophone point because it is Canada after all.

You´r right...sorry :)....I was thinking about Nanjing maybe because of the Youth Games...but a chinese city to host the Winter Games would be very interesting...

2024 - Toronto

2028 - Cape Town

(......)

2048 - LONDON

2022 - Oslo

2026 - Anchorage

2030 - Nanjing

2034 - Sion or Bern

2020 and 2022 both held in Europe?

2024 and 2026 both held in North America?

That's not happening.

That's not happening.

Probabily not, but we don´t know...it is just a scenario!! So from your point of view, Tokyo has no chances to host the 2020 Games??

Those bids could be very strong...

And Istanbul is in Europe and Asia...

That's not happening.

The back-to-back in North America i agree with. But why can't there be 2 straight in Europe? Happened plenty of times before, recently too. At this point, I don't see how the 2022 Winter Olympics would be anywhere other than Europe. Doesn't seem like there's anyone in Asia likely to bid. We know the United States is out. Too soon for Canada. So unless you think they're going to avoid Europe for 2020, 2022 might be a given for Europe.

Archived