(serious) predictions for 2020/22/24/26

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Zealand with the introduction of slopstyle and halfpipe can start to build a tradition....

That's the hope. If one or more f the possible southern hosters - NZ or Chile or Argentina - can start to build a tradition in winter sports, start getting results, and thus be able to present a decent case for it, then the IOC and winter IFs may start to consider the notion seriously.

That's the hope. If one or more f the possible southern hosters - NZ or Chile or Argentina - can start to build a tradition in winter sports, start getting results, and thus be able to present a decent case for it, then the IOC and winter IFs may start to consider the notion seriously.

And then the question comes, does Australia have a venue? (I honestly do not know hence why I am asking :lol:)

And then the question comes, does Australia have a venue? (I honestly do not know hence why I am asking :lol:)

No. We have resorts, but they're all in National Parks. To get any run up to the required 800m vertical drop would be politically and environmentally fraught ... or impossible. Quite rightly so - I'd campaign against having our fragile alpine habitats wrecked just for a two week festival of little interest to the majority down here (the WOGs are so not a big deal here). Considering we've been consistently winning golds at the past three WOGs, if we could possibly do it, I've no doubt we would have tried.

Maybe I'm coming off a bit strong in dismissing the southern WOGs idea. But I've been banging my head against a wall trying to work out a way it can be achieved for years now. Eventually, reality has to be faced. I wish it were otherwise.

No. We have resorts, but they're all in National Parks. To get any run up to the required 800m vertical drop would be politically and environmentally fraught ... or impossible. Quite rightly so - I'd campaign against having our fragile alpine habitats wrecked just for a two week festival of little interest to the majority down here (the WOGs are so not a big deal here). Considering we've been consistently winning golds at the past three WOGs, if we could possibly do it, I've no doubt we would have tried.

Maybe I'm coming off a bit strong in dismissing the southern WOGs idea. But I've been banging my head against a wall trying to work out a way it can be achieved for years now. Eventually, reality has to be faced. I wish it were otherwise.

If it was possible Australia could bid as they are the only ones atm winning constantly. In Sochi I heard Australia was aiming for 6 medals which is a good amount.

If it was possible Australia could bid as they are the only ones atm winning constantly. In Sochi I heard Australia was aiming for 6 medals which is a good amount.

I hope so. The Chinese have been giving us a run for our money in freestyle aerials lately, though.

Korea was a top 5 nation due to one sport... which you hold anywhere... Tulsa even. They have no history in traditional winter Olympic sports. They've never won a single medal on snow, or even one outdoors. They are using the Olympics to introduce these sports to the country and hopefully create a legacy.

And while Russia has strong winter sporting traditions, it's a vastly ginormous place. Sochi, with it's palm trees and beaches is a summer resort far away from those traditions. Like Korea, the Olympics are *creating* winter sports traditions, not rewarding a region for previously having them.

I have no idea if a Southern Hemisphere country could host a WOG. Could you make the calendars work? Are any SH countries willing to spend the money Russia and Korea ate to build infrastructure where it doesn't exist?

But of all the possible problems, I don't think a lack of tradition or prior Olympic success is what's holding them back.

Korea was a top 5 nation due to one sport... which you hold anywhere... Tulsa even. They have no history in traditional winter Olympic sports. They've never won a single medal on snow, or even one outdoors.

The ice sports are still winter sports - their medals don't count for less because they weren't on snow. Australia's first winter medal was in short track as well - we don't discount it because it wasn't on snow.

I think tradition's a BIG factor. Without that, the only reason to go south for the WOGs is because some people like the novelty of the idea. And that's a pretty weak reason to justify all the scheduling turmoil it would cause.

I think you shouldn't rule out the Southern Hemisphere for the Winter Olympics in general - I was aware when I did the list, that the Santiago de Chile 2026 Winter Olympics are very - let's call it: "racy", but I think when the IOC want to give the Winter Olympics one day to the Southern Hemisphere Chile or New Zealand (I have my doubt about Argentina).

I extended my list to the "next" 10 Summer and Winter Olympics, since I wanted to get a "fair" continental rotation into the list - you can exchange the cities of the same continent with each other or you can take a city of the same continent, which isn't on my list right now...

e.g. the following cities could be on the list, too:

# Moskva, Rossija / Sankt Peterburg, Rossija

# Madrid, España

# Salzburg, Österreich

# Annecy, France

# Barcelona, España

# Chicago, United States / New York, United States / etc. etc.

# Reno, United States / Anchorage, United States

# Krung Thep Mahanakhon, Prathet Thai

# Dubbay, al-Imarat al-'Arabiyyah al-Muttahidah

# ad-Dawha, Qatar

# Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

# Shanghai, Zhong guo / Guangzhou, Zhong guo / etc. etc.

# Busan, Taehan Min'guk

# Sapporo, Nihon-Koku

# Durban, South Africa

# Auckland, New Zealand

# Melbourne, Australia

If you take the top 25 largest economies of the world, the only one never to have hosted are: India, Turkey, Indonesia, Poland, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.

If you take the top 10 largest economies of the world, India and France are the only ones never to have hosted since WWII.

Yes, Nai Dilli is New Delhi / Bharat is India in Hindi

Indeed! Although using the English name would be perfectly fine as well, since English is one of the country's two principal official languages!

It would be interesting to see if the hosting countries were among the top 10 largest economies of the world in the year of their hosting or if the hosting country reached later after they had hosted the top 10 (lets say e.g. Germany was not in the top 10 in 72 but reached in 80) - or I think we should look onto the top 20...

And I do not mean the time after WWII, but from 1896 until 2018/2020...

^yeah, I can't C South Korea being too much on the financial, global scale back in 1980/1 when they were bidding. But then again, they were only bidding against Japan, which had already hosted the Games. N the same could be said for the Japanese back in the early 60's.

^yeah, I can't C South Korea being too much on the financial, global scale back in 1980/1 when they were bidding. But then again, they were only bidding against Japan, which had already hosted the Games. N the same could be said for the Japanese back in the early 60's.

It would be interesting to know if the IOC selected the countries with potential to get under the top 20 - I doubt that there is a causal connection between hosting and becoming a top 20 country - I suppose that the IOC has a nose for a country which has potential - which is good for the business since it offers a huge market, which hasn't been satisfied so far

2026 New York? What? 2028 KL? I'm just completely lost here......

Kuala Lumpur is not hosting any time soon, sorry - there are bigger markets waiting in line...and as for New York City hosting a 2028 Winter Games - that's fairly far-fetched too!

Kuala Lumpur is not hosting any time soon, sorry - there are bigger markets waiting in line...and as for New York City hosting a 2028 Winter Games - that's fairly far-fetched too!

Exactly. 2026 Winter Games in New York are no more likely than 2028 Winter Games in New York....... ;)

Archived