(serious) predictions for 2020/22/24/26

This is gone way off topic, my apologies for contributing to this.

I was well aware of the historical context of the bet. As a nation you like to 'give it large' so expect to get it back when you come up short. Add to this the gloating after Kazakstan started off quickly despite everyone knowing it would be in the sports they would succeed in.

Your rowers spent months telling anyone who would listen how they were going to own the British - if you can't step up you should learn to shut up. It was not just your press, it was your athletes too ... so it is a pleasure to rub your noses into it. But we'd have experienced the same pleasure with anyone.

I'm not twisting your words. You said "there has been a marked increase in funding allocated for London 2012" - this is not true. From Beijing to London there was a £29m increase ... between Athens and Beijing it was £165m. If you want to use facts, get them right.

Most of your national psyche appears to be American now, as the demographics of Australia has changed with immigration from Asia and Southern and Eastern Europe. I would be surprised if 50% of Australians consider themselves to have a Brtisih heritage. I would say from personal experience that NZ is far closer to Britain and Australia closer to the USA in culture and psyche. I was personally surprised at how American it was. Being a History graduate and my dissertation from Southamption University was on the history of the Commonwealth having been to Canada, India, Kenya, Australia and New Zealand, I find your attitude ill informed and patronising.

It is often a rule of thumb that the Aussie provoke and the British respond. There was a tale of how a British boat in a yachting race limped into Sydney Harbour to be met with waves of derision from the shore about how the British couldn't properly build a boat to be met with the response from the captain, that at least we properly built that ones that shipped you lot here :P

As your leader and Prime Minister, John Howard would be expected to demonstrate good sportmanship as the host even though his team lost (despite the best efforts of the referee). The fact that he can't reflects on your country.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blacksheep - I don't know how to spell this out for you any clearer...

You are basing your entire flawed argument on your personal perception, and presenting it as fact. Thats my problem here, nothing else. You would think a university graduate would understand this fundamental aspect of argument building. You keep painting these athletes are such terrible sportsmen and women, but you fail to consider the fact that there are over 400 of them. You seem to have this angelic concept of British sportsmanship, and quite frankly I don't think it exists any more than it does for any other nation. You seem like a big victim of the media portrayal, both British and Australian.

The mere fact you are deriding any athlete based on their nationality sucks, and as I said previously, speaks numbers about your character.

On Sunday night, at the Closing Ceremony of one of the best Olympics of all time, you will see a tradition born here in Australia in 1956 of athletes marching in together not as nations that divide them, but as one group. You, and your "jeering" Aussie spectator friends, could gain a lot from understand the significance of what this represents, in relation to the greater institution that is the Olympic movement.

It is often a rule of thumb that the Aussie provoke and the British respond. There was a tale of how a British boat in a yachting race limped into Sydney Harbour to be met with waves of derision from the shore about how the British couldn't properly build a boat to be met with the response from the captain, that at least we properly built that ones that shipped you lot here :P

One more thing about the above,

You can't seem to grasp the people are people, and there are below average people among the many good. What 2000 Olympic event are you specifically referring to? Hard to believe that tens of thousands of people lined the shores of Sydney Harbour specifically booing British boats. Of course, there may have been a small group of idiots to ruin it for the masses, but if the British captain really said that, then I think that in itself is pretty poor form.

The media can turn a few idiots in the crowd into something bigger than it really is, just like this probably was... London, too is not immune.

http://www.guardian....criticises-fans

One more thing about the above,

You can't seem to grasp the people are people, and there are below average people among the many good. What 2000 Olympic event are you specifically referring to? Hard to believe that tens of thousands of people lined the shores of Sydney Harbour specifically booing British boats. Of course, there may have been a small group of idiots to ruin it for the masses, but if the British captain really said that, then I think that in itself is pretty poor form.

The media can turn a few idiots in the crowd into something bigger than it really is, just like this probably was... London, too is not immune.

http://www.guardian....criticises-fans

You are putting forward the complaint of a player who was banned for 8 games last season for racially abusing another player who was black as an example of British fans being idiots? British fans boo drug cheats too

and I don't recall saying the harbour incident occured during 2000. I think it was in one of the ocean races which periodically occur

but why is it bad form? Happy to dish it out, sulk when you get it back

I would love Amsterdam to get the summer games. I think they could be similar in atmosphere to London. It's been great to see so many orange clad Netherlands supporters in London, they seem like one of the biggest groups but perhaps it is because they stick out so much, you can't miss them!

I just realized that should Istanbul loose it, would be the first time since Barcelona we get a winning bid who is niether out of the commonwealth/ english speaking countries or New frontiers combo to win.

I don't count Athens for obvious reasons, we all know it's a special city for the IOC & the world.

2020 - Istanbul

2022 - Munich

2024 - Durban

2026 - Almaty

2028 - Paris

2030 - Habin

2032 - Toronto

2036 - Tokyo

2038 - Queenstown

2040 - New York

2042 - Chamonix

2044 - Berlin

2046 - Oslo

2052 - Shanghai

This is my wish/predict right now they day after the 2012 closing.

Covering my projected lifespan.

2020 - Istanbul

2022 - Munich

2024 - Durban

2026 - Almaty

2028 - Paris

2030 - Habin

2032 - Toronto

2036 - Tokyo

2038 - Queenstown

2040 - New York

2042 - Chamonix

2044 - Berlin

2046 - Oslo

2052 - Shanghai

This is my wish/predict right now they day after the 2012 closing.

Covering my projected lifespan.

No Auckland or Brisbane? How dare you ;):P

No Auckland or Brisbane? How dare you ;):P

At this point in time, OFD, at this point in time...Brissy would get 2036 or '40 if they went for it...Looking at the superb effort London put on, I'm finding that a minimum population of 6million can support a bid. NZ only has 4.5mil. But a winter games in Queenstown/Christchurch is do-able in the time above.

Future summer games.

2020: Tokyo

2024: New York City

2028: Paris

2032: Durban

2036: Shanghai

2040: Rome - Cancelled due to World War 3

2044: Cancelled due to World War 3

2048: Guangzhou

2052: Shantou

2056: Tianjin

2060: Nanjing

2020: Tokyo

Turkey will get the Euro then.

2022: Oslo

It's Europe's turn. I guess that Munich won't bid due to elections (in Germany, Bavaria and those of the IOC president). I think Oslo will have a stronger bid than St. Moritz, Barcelona and whoever will bid.

2024: New York City

I think 2024 will be in the US, 28 years after Atlanta, 22 after SLC. Hard to predict which city the USOC choose but I'd love to see the games in New York.

2026: Munich

If the US gets 2024 there out of the race for 2026. So that could get a Europe-Asia battle.

2028: Durban or Cape Town

2030: China

Here are my predictions for 2020 thru 2030:

2020 Summer Olympic Games

Will win: Tokyo

Should win: Istanbul

2022 Winter Olympic Games

Will win: Oslo

Should win: Oslo

2024 Summer Olympic Games

Will win: Paris (this is just a guess)

Should win: USA!!! :D (either Chicago or NYC)

2026 Winter Olympic Games

Will win: TETT (too early to tell)

Should win: Almaty

2028 Summer Olympic Games

Will win: TETT

Should win: Africa

2030 Winter Olympic Games

Will win: TETT

Should win: Munich

I have no idea why you people all love Almaty so much

I kinda liked them too. Seemed very sincere. Helped me catch their vision. Liked their logo. Kazakhstan did well in London. Disappointed they didn't make the shortlist. They captured my imagination. I'd like to see more of them.

Last winter I watched a nordic combined competition on tv because I wanted to see what Almaty is like and I was not impressed. All in all there were not more than 50 spectators and everything looked very amateurish...

I just looked up some statements and the athletes weren't impressed either. Seemingly the cross-country ski run was terrible because there were lots of stones in it and they criticized the bad air conditions and the smog.

I have no idea why you people all love Almaty so much

Thank u! Me neither!

Must... resist.....

<--

Please enlighten. What R u 'resisting'. :P

It's not like an Almaty is a PyeongChang, Sochi or a Harbin. I don't really understand the immense love affair with them. I can maybe C an interest, like a Sofia or Zakopane, but podium attention on these boards with them just boggles the mind.

Why Almaty?

Well in the 2014 bidding process it came 4th with a compact bid. Of course there would need to be an upgrade with facilities but if we are looking at 2026/2030 then there is no reason why this might not occur.

If 2022 goes to Europe and 2026 back to North America if they bid - but if not then its Asia and a compact bid in Almaty v a money funded Chinese bid

Why Almaty?

Well in the 2014 bidding process it came 4th with a compact bid. Of course there would need to be an upgrade with facilities but if we are looking at 2026/2030 then there is no reason why this might not occur.

If 2022 goes to Europe and 2026 back to North America if they bid - but if not then its Asia and a compact bid in Almaty v a money funded Chinese bid

I chose Almaty for 2026 for these reasons:

• Asia has not hosted the Winter Games since 1998 in Nagano;
  • No country in Asia outside of Japan or South Korea has ever hosted or will host the Winter Games;
  • Since the USA is focusing on a 2024 bid, Canada has to submit a bid if North America wants to bid; and
  • I already believe that Oslo has the best chance of getting 2022, meaning that Munich will have to wait until 2030 to bid again.

Archived