Who will light to 2014 cauldron?

msp2032

Any thoughts on who may light to cauldron in Sochi?

I think the favorites in my opinion should be:

Vladslav Tretiak(The great Soviet Goalie from the 1970's to late 80's

Sergei Federov

Irina Slutskaya

The "co-gold medalists" from 2002 Lobacheva/Averbukh

I was about to say Maria Sharapova, then quickly remembered that this is the Winter Olympics.

Steve Nash was one of the cauldron lighters in Vancouver, and he isn't a winter athlete, so there is precedent.

My guess, maybe someone from either hockey or figure skating, since those are big winter sports in Russia.

Ekaterina Gordeeva.

Just a thought.

I'd love to see Klimova and Ponomarenko do it. No Olympic performance has ever affected me quite like theirs.

What about the cauldron lighter 2018? Just kidding. As if there's any doubt......

I agree with Katia Gordeeva. That just seems to be the easy choice to my mind.

Yeah, Klimova and Ponomarenko were great, but not really cauldron lighting material. I know. I just like them.

Seems perfect cauldron lighters if Sochi puts in ice on the field for their ceremonies. They can skate in to receive the torch and light the cauldron.

A highly symbolic choice as they got bronze in 1984, got silver in 1988 and got gold in 1992, competing for a new democratic and open Russia. Have other well known athletes just bring the torch in or carry the flame prior to the dramatic lead up.

Ivanetta Weirskaya

Who are you talking about? https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Ivanetta+Weirskaya+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a ;)

Speaking of the Cauldron, I was quite pleased to see that the design for the Olympic Stadium there has two open ends, so that's two possible obvious areas for a Cauldron that can be seen from both inside and outside the stadium.

I'm also encouraged to see that the Fisht Olympic Stadium will be an outdoor venue with very nice views. My favorite opening ceremony settings for a Winter Games are still the horse show grounds @ Lake Placid and the ski jumps @ Lillehammer.

Anastasia Romanova - the real one of course - will return from her frozen stasis to light the cauldron.

If we can bring back the good ones from the dead, then Rasputin, Ivan the terrible & Joseph Stalin should be much more in contention than Anastasia!

Archived