The Next IOC President

Being elected Nawal El Moutawakel, the IOC would be doing what is called politically correct. I'm sure she'd open new frontiers for new cities and countries to host the Olympic Games, above all on African or muslim soil.

Nawal would be a fantastic IOC president but i think you are giving a little too much power at the IOC president for the city choice.

Even Samaranch who was incredibly subjective in the build up for the city choice couldn't force the voters to go his way with Beijing the first time.

An African or a Muslim bid would need to be fantastic and really good mark by the IOC inspection to win this, no matter who is the president.

Besides, even if the president is a european, a new frontiers bid can still win, the IOC menbers are not against the idea, it just need to be good enough like Rio's

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That was just a tradition that Samaranch started. Rogge is merely reverting to the norm. Could be!

This guy is ABSOLUTELY NO FUN to be with!!

just to clarify...

If the term is 12 years then how did Samaranch serve for 20 from 1981-2001??

IOC President was for life or resignation until 2001. Following the SLC bid scandle, term limits and I believe age limits for President were instituted as part of the reforms.

It was either that or the US Congress was threatening to revoke the IOC's tax exempt status. That was the only thing that finally got Samaranch and the IOC moving on reform. After Hodler was forced out and Sion lost out to Torinio, of course.

Here is another potential candidate: Rene Fasel (SUI)

"When the International Olympic Committee reassembles about a year from now, exactly who will be replacing Jacques Rogge as the IOC’s chief croupier? The behind-the-scenes political wrangle might constitute London’s 303rd gold medal, and hockey people think René Fasel, the Swiss dentist who is a two-term member of the IOC executive board and longtime president of the International Ice Hockey Federation, has a chance. (Coincidentally, that would allow Hockey Canada’s Bob Nicholson to take over the IIHF throne)."

Fasel is European, one of the prime factors for IOC leadership, but still is a long shot because winter sports often lack the constituency of the summer sweats. It’s worth watching, though. Leaders in the clubhouse might be Swiss Dennis Oswald, head of the London co-ordinating commission, and German Thomas Bach, a former fencer.

It is somewhat intriguing that, despite that Switzerland has all those sporting IF HQs in the country and have so many present and past IOC members in its history, it has not have one becoming IOC President yet.

Bach, Coe on IAAF/IOC Presidency

IOC vice president Thomas Bach and Sebastian Coe spoke to the ARD German television channel Sunday during which they exchanged thoughts about each other’s ambitions in the Olympic Movement.

Bach is one of the presumptive candidates to run for the post of IOC president when Jacques Rogge steps down. The election is scheduled for the IOC Session in Buenos Aries in September 2013.

Coe told the TV station that Bach “would be a very good president”.

“He has the abilities, the intellectual capability and he has the heart to do it. And this will be a competitive post.”

For his part, Bach suggested Coe would make an “extraordinary [iAAF] president”.

“He proved this with the Games he organized. If anyone had any doubts about his abilities, they would have vanished by now,” he said.

http://www.aroundthe...w.aspx?id=40934

Edited by Michelle

Really? I never heard of that saying before.

Yeah, it's an old saying. But not necessarily true as several 'popes' have gone in and come out as 'popes' including the most recent one!

I agree that the next president should use more superlatives when calling the Games at the CC. Not necessary calling it the best ever every time but you know the world is hanging onto their seats for a few seconds wondering if the president is going to say it or not.

"Friendly and Excellent" or "Happy and Glorious" just don't have the same impact.

I agree that the next president should use more superlatives when calling the Games at the CC. Not necessary calling it the best ever every time but you know the world is hanging onto their seats for a few seconds wondering if the president is going to say it or not.

"Friendly and Excellent" or "Happy and Glorious" just don't have the same impact.

That was just a tradition that Samaranch started. Rogge is merely reverting to the norm.

you mean.. the candidate from Germany ;)

Could be! ;)

• Like 1

Strongly disagree. The IOC pat themselves on the back quite enough as it is. Keep the speech short. Say something concise, specific and affirmative and move on.

Strongly disagree. The IOC pat themselves on the back quite enough as it is. Keep the speech short. Say something concise, specific and affirmative and move on.

I guess I don't see it as IOC patting themselves on their own backs. To me it's more of showing the appreciation to the organizing committee and give the hosting nation and its people something tangible from the IOC to cheer for and be proud of (if deserved). I will always remember Samarach's "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!" and the Australian crowd going wild from Sydney, as oppose to the lukewarm "yay~~" from Vancouver where you know the Canadian crowd would cheer at anything (see Furlong's closing speech).

It seemed to me London was warmly praised and thanked by all. Not sure what you think is missing.

I'm just specifically talking about the 'moment' of the verdict delivered by the IOC president at his/her closing ceremony speech should be more grand if deserved. London definitely deserved it.

Here is another potential candidate: Rene Fasel (SUI)

"When the International Olympic Committee reassembles about a year from now, exactly who will be replacing Jacques Rogge as the IOC’s chief croupier? The behind-the-scenes political wrangle might constitute London’s 303rd gold medal, and hockey people think René Fasel, the Swiss dentist who is a two-term member of the IOC executive board and longtime president of the International Ice Hockey Federation, has a chance. (Coincidentally, that would allow Hockey Canada’s Bob Nicholson to take over the IIHF throne)."

Fasel is European, one of the prime factors for IOC leadership, but still is a long shot because winter sports often lack the constituency of the summer sweats. It’s worth watching, though. Leaders in the clubhouse might be Swiss Dennis Oswald, head of the London co-ordinating commission, and German Thomas Bach, a former fencer.

Dennis Oswald would be the far more likely Swiss to obtain the presidency. Fasel is respected and well-liked, but the IIHF does not have a lot of power within the wider IOC, though when it comes to matters of the Winter Olympics it does. And a Canadian would not become IIHF president. Hockey Canada, the CHL and the larger North American hockey infrastructure are usually at odds with their European counterparts. And even if it was a Canadian, it would be more likely to be Murray Costello. And the next in line are Shoichi Tomita and Kalervo Kummola.

Anyways this might be a very competitive election, if lots of candidates declare it could cause a surprise. I just hope Samaranch Jr doesn't jump in.

Dennis Oswald would be the far more likely Swiss to obtain the presidency. Fasel is respected and well-liked, but the IIHF does not have a lot of power within the wider IOC, though when it comes to matters of the Winter Olympics it does. And a Canadian would not become IIHF president. Hockey Canada, the CHL and the larger North American hockey infrastructure are usually at odds with their European counterparts. And even if it was a Canadian, it would be more likely to be Murray Costello. And the next in line are Shoichi Tomita and Kalervo Kummola.

Anyways this might be a very competitive election, if lots of candidates declare it could cause a surprise. I just hope Samaranch Jr doesn't jump in.

I don't think Shoichi Tomita will become president. It should go to a country with a respectable hoceky team.

Ng Ser Miang tipped to become the next IOC chief

International Olympic Committee (IOC) Vice-President Ng Ser Miang has emerged as a strong candidate for the top position in the IOC.

President Jacques Rogge is set to step down from his post next year in Buenos Aires due to term limits.

And Mr Ng, who is shaping up as a strong candidate to replace the 70-year-old Belgian, is widely tipped to become the next IOC chief.

The 62-year-old has been an IOC member since 1998, and is currently one of the four vice-presidents of the governing body.

Candidates are required to put in their Presidential bids three months prior to the IOC session in Buenos Aires in September 2013.

A strong candidate for the post, he could also be the first Asian to lead this prestigious organisation.

Mr Ng remained guarded on that possibility.

Mr Ng said: "The IOC is a world body, so you are looking at someone who is leading an international organization. Whether (the person) is an Asian, European or others, (the person) has to be a world leader."

He added: "As far as I am concerned I think, I will be among those who are discussing the leadership succession. I am not ready to answer the question as to my potential yet."

One of Mr Ng's major achievements was to help Singapore win the bid to host the Youth Olympic Games and successfully staging the inaugural event.

http://www.channelne...1220530/1/.html