The Next IOC President

Nemo

Not to get into a religious discussion again on GB - but do you really think the IOC would put a "one or the other" situation relating to a Muslim President, and the 2020 Olympics in a predominantly Muslim country? Aside from her faith, which has not interfered with her ability to do her job, the two are completely separate (Nawal and a potential Istanbul Olympics).

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's in the same session, then yes. It's almost akin to the 2001 session, where Dick Pound of Canada was running for president & Toronto 2008 was bidding for the Olympics (the same was more or less said with Rogge from Belgium & Paris 2008), but both weren't walking away from Moscow with the two biggest prizes in the sport world. It's not so much the "faith", but the intangibles associated with any direct link of somekind. Just like more or less the Bach & Munich debate. And how often does anyone or anything get elected or what have you, by the "strict" capabilities on how good they perform their job. It's almost like the "best technical bid" argument. Like the old saying, 'its not what you know, it's who you know'.

Not to get into a religious discussion again on GB - but do you really think the IOC would put a "one or the other" situation relating to a Muslim President, and the 2020 Olympics in a predominantly Muslim country? Aside from her faith, which has not interfered with her ability to do her job, the two are completely separate (Nawal and a potential Istanbul Olympics).

They're cut from the same cloth. Why are you so easy on muslims? They are the cause of most of the problems in the world today. WAKE UP and OPEN YOUR EYES, running.

They're cut from the same cloth. Why are you so easy on muslims? They are the cause of most of the problems in the world today. WAKE UP and OPEN YOUR EYES, running.

What??!!!

I hope you're just being your usual capriciously provocative self. I hope you don't actually believe that.

Why Ser Miang or the Taiwanese guy will NOT become IOC president: the current UN Secty-Gen is Korean/Asian; the papacy is in South American hands; so the IOC presidency will stay a Euro domain

The IOC president will most likely remain European but that has NOTHING to do with the UN or the pope. Your suggestion to the contrary drastically over estimates the importance of a two-week sporting festival and presupposes a level of mutual attention and respect between the three aforementioned bodies that is pure fiction.

The IOC president will most likely remain European but that has NOTHING to do with the UN or the pope. Your suggestion to the contrary drastically over estimates the importance of a two-week sporting festival and presupposes a level of mutual attention and respect between the three aforementioned bodies that is pure fiction.

This guy is ABSOLUTELY NO FUN to be with!! :(

Wow, you have an incredible vocabulary.

Taiwan’s Wu confirms he’ll enter running to become International Olympic Committee president

TAIPEI, Taiwan — World amateur boxing association chief C. K. Wu of Taiwan has confirmed his intention to run for president of the International Olympic Committee.

Wu told a packed news conference in Taipei on Thursday that he is declaring his candidacy to succeed Jacques Rogge to “positively impact society.”

“The thought and concept to develop the IOC and Olympic movement ... is the core principle of my candidature,” he said. “The IOC and the Olympic Games have more power to positively impact society than any other organization and project in the world.”

Rogge steps down in September after 12 years at the IOC helm.

Wu, a 66-year-old architect, joins IOC vice-presidents Thomas Bach of Germany and Ng Ser Miang of Singapore, and Richard Carrion of Puerto Rico as declared candidates in the race to replace Rogge.

Sergei Bubka of Ukraine is also expected to declare as a candidate.

Wu, an IOC member since 1988, has been president of the International Amateur Boxing Association since 2006.

He was elected to the IOC’s policy-making executive board last year and was a member of the IOC coordination commissions for the 1998 Winter Games in Nagano, Japan, and 2008 Beijing Olympics. He currently sits on the coordination panel for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

Wu notified Rogge last Friday that he will be a candidate to succeed him as head of the IOC, The Associated Press reported last week.

Last month, Wu hosted numerous IOC members in Tianjin, China, for the opening of a museum he designed to honor the late IOC President Juan Antonio Samaranch.

Earlier this week, AIBA’s executive committee recommended that Wu run for IOC president.

The IOC election will be held on Sept. 10 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Wu’s native Taiwan competes in the Olympics under the name Chinese Taipei, to distinguish it from mainland China, now a mainstay of the Olympic movement. Taiwan and China split amid civil war in 1949, and while both participated in the 1952 Summer Games in Helsinki, Finland, China subsequently withdrew to protest Taiwan’s inclusion in the Olympics.

China returned to the Winter Games in 1980 and the Summer Games four years later after the IOC formally adopted the Chinese Taipei moniker to describe Taiwan.

AP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/taiwans-wu-confirms-hell-enter-running-to-become-international-olympic-committee-president/2013/05/23/4525fb30-c376-11e2-9642-a56177f1cdf7_story.html#

/\/\ It's really strange how that Juan Samaranch Museum came to be. So of all the IOC members, JAS deeds it to someone in Tapieh. And then this guy, doesn't even put the Museum in Taiwan, but in his country's foremost rival, mainland China. And then since I guess he couldn't get funding in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou or Hong Kong, it ends up in like the #5 or #6 Chinese city. It's just so bizarre. And the Fascist that JAS was, his life's collection ends up in a Communist state?!?! Totally ironic isn't it???

Also, just realized that the Taiwanese delegation is the only nation using its capital as its Olympic name...Chinese Taipei, not Chinese Taiwan. I mean the sh* t that that big bully, China, pulled on its tiny rival. As if there was a Catalan, Greek or Scandinavian Taipei?!?! :wacko: MONDO BIZARRO!!! :wacko:

/\/\ It's really strange how that Juan Samaranch Museum came to be. So of all the IOC members, JAS deeds it to someone in Tapieh. And then this guy, doesn't even put the Museum in Taiwan, but in his country's foremost rival, mainland China. And then since I guess he couldn't get funding in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou or Hong Kong, it ends up in like the #5 or #6 Chinese city. It's just so bizarre. And the Fascist that JAS was, his life's collection ends up in a Communist state?!?! Totally ironic isn't it???

Also, just realized that the Taiwanese delegation is the only nation using its capital as its Olympic name...Chinese Taipei, not Chinese Taiwan. I mean the sh* t that that big bully, China, pulled on its tiny rival. As if there was a Catalan, Greek or Scandinavian Taipei?!?! :wacko: MONDO BIZARRO!!! :wacko:

That was the agreement back in the late 70's /early 80's by both the Republic of China (Taiwan) and China proper which allowed both countries to compete at the Olympics.

That was the agreement back in the late 70's /early 80's by both the Republic of China (Taiwan) and China proper which allowed both countries to compete at the Olympics.

I KNOW that. It just occurred to me today HOW bizarre the results of that Agreement were--very humiliating for the Taiwanese.

Of course, it's your, Canada's. country's fault that that happened. In 1976, chicken Canada buckled under Big China's threats and did NOT allow Taiwan to participate in Montreal as the Republic of China because of pressure from PRC. Up until that point, I never realized what a size queen Canada was!! :lol:

I KNOW that. It just occurred to me today HOW bizarre the results of that Agreement were--very humiliating for the Taiwanese.

Of course, it's your, Canada's. country's fault that that happened. In 1976, chicken Canada buckled under Big China's threats and did NOT allow Taiwan to participate in Montreal as the Republic of China because of pressure from PRC. Up until that point, I never realized what a size queen Canada was!! :lol:

No Canada did not chicken -__- Trudeau who happened to be PM and close to the Chinese regime decided that only one China should be recognized.

Oswald to "communicate decision" on whether he will stand for IOC President after St PetersburgMay 24 - Denis Oswald will announce whether or not he will be running in the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Presidential election following the conclusion of the SportAccord International Convention taking place in St Petersburg next week, the International Rowing Federation (FISA) leader has confirmed.

"I will communicate my decision immediately after SportAccord [international Convention]," Oswald told insidethegames.

The Swiss 65-year-old former chief of the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations (ASOIF) claimed earlier this year that he would only enter the race to replace incumbent Jacques Rogge if he is sure he has enough support to launch a proper challenge.

However, with fellow European Thomas Bach having already confirmed his candidacy for the most powerful position in world sport it remains to be seen if IOC members will back Oswald over fears that he might spark a split in the European vote if he stands against the German Olympic Sports Confederation (DOSB) President.

If Oswald, an Olympic rowing bronze medallist and an IOC member since 1991 who was the chairman of the London 2012 Coordination Commission, runs he will also be the only candidate with French as his first language.

full article

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/1014338-oswald-to-communicate-decision-on-whether-he-will-stand-for-ioc-president-after-st-petersburg

Dennis Oswald becomes 5th candidate in race for IOC presidency

LONDON - Denis Oswald has declared his candidacy for IOC president, becoming the fifth member to enter the race to succeed Jacques Rogge.

The 66-year-old Swiss lawyer sent a letter to IOC members Friday announcing he will stand for election.

Oswald says "with great honour and humility" he has decided to run for the top job of the International Olympic Committee.

Oswald notes that he competed as a rower in three Olympics, was head of the international rowing federation FISA and has served in several high-profile IOC positions.

Oswald joins a race that already includes Thomas Bach of Germany, Ng Ser Miang of Singapore, Richard Carrion of Puerto Rico and C.K. Wu of Taiwan.

Sergei Bubka of Ukraine is expected to announce his bid next week.

Rogge steps down in September after 12 years as president.

AP

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/dennis-oswald-becomes-5th-candidate-in-race-for-ioc-presidency-1.230127

Archived