The Next IOC President

Nemo

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her rise in the ranks has already been faster than the average IOC members. I've no doubt she's been groomed to take a high profile. But I'm not convinced she's put in enough time there yet to make prez. She's only been on the Executive Board since 2008. Electing her would be a great gesture by the IOC, but I think her time will be next time around.

It's called 'balance of power.' It's hard to explain 2 those who don't see it.

Balance of power? Condescension aside, the Roman Catholic Church is the largest and oldest body of organized religion, the UN is a political institution of limited influence formed post WWII and the IOC is a group that oversees a two-week sporting event every two years.

Do you think the papal conclave gives two hoots about which continent holds the presidency of the UN or the IOC? No. Similarly, does the IOC pay attention to the UN or the Roman Catholic Church? No.

They are totally separate bodies made up of totally separate individuals who are focused on totally separate issues.

• 1 month later...

Hadn't realised he was that old actually! I guess he'll focus on the Lillehammer YOGs instead. Shame as I think he would have been an excellent president. Although I think it speaks volumes about the IOC that there are a fairly decent number of creditable presidential candidates.

AP Source: Singapore member Ng Ser Miang to announce candidacy for IOC president

LONDON — Singapore's Ng Ser Miang is set to become the second declared candidate for president of the IOC.

An official with knowledge of the decision tells The Associated Press that Ng will announce his candidacy in Paris on Thursday. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement hasn't been made yet.

Ng, an IOC vice president, chaired the organizing committee of the inaugural Youth Olympics in Singapore in 2010.

German IOC vice president Thomas Bach announced his candidacy last Thursday.

IOC President Jacques Rogge steps down on Sept. 10 after 12 years at the helm of the International Olympic Committee.

Richard Carrion of Puerto Rico, C.K. Wu of Taiwan and Sergei Bubka of Ukraine are among other potential contenders for the presidency.

AP

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/9e33a6b2ec82450d9ecc557a575f38a7/OLY--IOC-Ng-Candidacy

Singapore's Ser Miang enters IOC presidential race

Singapore's Ng Ser Miang entered the race for IOC president on Thursday, seeking to become the first Asian to hold the most powerful job in the Olympic movement.

The 64-year-old Ng announced his candidacy at the Sorbonne in Paris, a highly-symbolic venue where the IOC and modern Olympics were founded in 1894 by Pierre de Coubertin.

Ng, an IOC vice president, became the second declared candidate for the top job after Germany's Thomas Bach announced his candidacy last week in Frankfurt.

At least three other members are expected to run to succeed Jacques Rogge, who steps down in September after 12 years as president of the International Olympic Committee.

Ng is a strong representative from Asia, a continent with growing economic, political and sporting influence on the world stage. All but one of the IOC's eight presidents since 1894 have come from Europe, with Avery Brundage of the United States the only exception.

"I come from Singapore, a multi-racial, multi-cultural society whose success is based on teamwork,'' Ng said. "I am proud to be Asian, but I am also a global citizen. This gives me a unique perspective as an IOC member.''

Another Asian member, C.K. Wu of Taiwan, is also expected to enter the race soon. Wu is head of the international amateur boxing association.

Ng chaired the organizing committee of the inaugural Youth Olympics in Singapore in 2010. He has been an IOC member since 1998 and has served on the policy-making executive board since 2005 and as a vice president since 2009.

Ng has also been Singapore's non-resident ambassador to Norway since 2001 and is a former vice president of the international sailing federation.

As an ambassador, Ng said he understands European values. As an IOC member, he said, he has also worked closely with African and South American cities.

"I understand the strength of the movement lies with its diverse interests and perspectives,'' he said.

Ng notified Rogge of his decision to run earlier this week and said he was sending his manifesto to all IOC members on Wednesday. Bach, by contrast, said he would wait until June to release his platform to the members.

"The Olympic movement faces a new and rapidly changing world,'' Ng said. "The IOC will require a leader with a universal perspective and an inclusive, cooperative-leadership style.''

"The world is changing and the movement must change with it,'' he added. "I believe that we can do more and that we must do more.''

At a time of economic problems around the world, Ng said, the IOC must review the size and cost of the Olympics.

Ng said he would also focus on the role of youth in the Olympics and would "empower' IOC members to work with sports federations and governments to strengthen the movement.

"This will require a leader with an inclusive leadership style and world view based on collective input and decision making,'' Ng said. "I humbly believe that I have the experience in consensus building, the understanding of the Olympic movement and a deep passion for the Olympism that qualifies me to be that leader.''

Rogge suggested recently that his successor should be paid, a break from IOC tradition where the presidency is a volunteer position. But, like Bach, Ng said if elected he would choose to remain a volunteer with no pay.

Ng said he also supported a proposal for the presidential candidates to present their manifestos in person at the IOC general assembly in Lausanne, Switzerland, in July.

Wu, Richard Carrion of Puerto Rico and Sergei Bubka of Ukraine are expected to announce their candidacies in the next two weeks. Swiss member Denis Oswald is also weighing his options.

The official deadline for candidacies is June 10, exactly three months before the election in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

AP

I'm not so sure that continental affiliation impacts voting for the IOC president in the same way it affects voting for host cities. Isn't the real issue whether or not you respect the candidate and share his or her vision for the Olympic Movement? Does it really help you if you're from Korea and you vote for a guy from Singapore?

Well, she could be the dark horse. And/or she's laying low so as not to upset Is-tanbu-lam's chances (i.e., concurrent Istanbul and nawal victories are unlikely).

Nawal is Moroccan, not Turkish. And its not like she is blindly supporting Istanbul - she has remained neutral, and in fact was part of the committee that rejected its application to bid for the 2012 Games.

Nawal is Moroccan, not Turkish. And its not like she is blindly supporting Istanbul - she has remained neutral, and in fact was part of the committee that rejected its application to bid for the 2012 Games.

Yeah, but both would be Muslim candidates. Plus, not surprising really, she's probably not coming all out for Istanbul 2020 bcuz Morocco could look into a possible 2024 or 2028 bid. So an Istanbul 2020 win would put a halt on such ambitions on her country in the near-term, much like it would do the same to Doha & Dubai. And also most likely why she really wouldn't come out in favor for another African bid, either. It's scenario's like these where those 'voting bloc' theories really go out the window, cuz they're really not as black-&-white as they appear to be on the surface.

Archived