CBC wins rights to 2014, 2016 Olympic Games

CBC/Radio-Canada has won the Canadian media rights for the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, and the 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro.

"CBC/Radio-Canada has been an unwavering champion of amateur sport and our nation's best athletes," said Marcel Aubut, president of the Canadian Olympic Committee Wednesday. "They have unparalleled experience in broadcasting major multi-sport events, most notably the Olympic Games."

For almost 60 years, and on 19 different occasions, CBC had broadcast the Olympic Games, most recently during the 2008 Olympic Summer Games in Beijing.

"This is excellent news for Canadians across the country who will once again experience the Olympic tradition with their public broadcaster," CBC president Hubert Lacroix said in a statement.

"We've promised Canadians signature events on all our platforms that create opportunities to connect with each other and the country."

The deal comes more than a month after CBC and Bell Media announced they would no longer submit joint bids for the Canadian media rights for the games.

The two media organizations, which had formed a partnership last September, had submitted two joint bids for the package, but both were rejected by the International Olympic Committee.

Canada's Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium, made up of a partnership between Bell Media and Rogers Communications, had the broadcast rights for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics and currently have the rights for the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Source

I wonder how many commentators/personalities that jumped ship after 2008 will go back to CBC from TSN.

I am also assuming that there will be a deal between CBC and TSN like there was between 2000-2008.

Brian Williams is the most interesting he had a nasty split with CBC.

Who else jumped?

And if anything the Score will team with CBC

I don't know much about CTV so I won't criticise them much. But I guess the CTV haters must be very happy with those news.

I liked CTV and its gonna suck having one channel (as opposed to as much as 4 at one time) covering the games.

I liked CTV and its gonna suck having one channel (as opposed to as much as 4 at one time) covering the games.

Didn't CTV also have four channels in Beijing? IIRC they had CBC, TSN, SportsNet and Bold.

Anyway, as long as they partner up with a few other channels I'll be happy. I generally like CBC's coverage better than CTV's.

Didn't CTV also have four channels in Beijing? IIRC they had CBC, TSN, SportsNet and Bold.

Anyway, as long as they partner up with a few other channels I'll be happy. I generally like CBC's coverage better than CTV's.

Yea thats what I meant. CBC covered Beijing and didn't have 4. OLN is the otheer channel.

Archived