London 2012 Paralympic Games Opening Ceremony

BBC News are reporting the Paralympic Torch Relay is 2 hours behind schedules. - Perhaps they didn't account for the people taking part going a bit slower with all the disabilities maybe?

However they have lit a 'splinter' flame from the Torch to make sure tonight will go ahead as planned.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got paralympic tickets and I'm really pleased I get to see the park and some of the venues - I think a lot of talk about Britain being the spiritual home of the paralympic movement is fanciful, a

Superb drama on BBC2 this even calling 'The Best of Men' about the treatment of patients at Stoke Mandeville and the first ParaOlympics in 1948. Would recommend to anyone who can get access to BBC iP

DId u see the part where Prince Philip was supposed to jump out in a wheelchair?

Bring back the BBC, Channel 4 is k r @ p p on stilts. But I find the OC is more in keeping with traditional OCs. I hope they're going to sell off the dresses being worn by the placard carriers; I've got my eye on a few (not for me though :lol:)

I really liked the Opening Ceremony :)

It's good to see these games growing in stature, although 2012 is a 'home games'.

NZ does well in this. (actually better than an Olympics :huh: )

Started a bit unsure and the parade of athletes seemed to take longer to go by, despite having 40 delegations less and less than half of the athletes overall...

BUT!

... the cultural segment, the anthems, and the cauldron lighting were PHE-NO-ME-NAL!!! B) Dare to say, better than the Olympic counterpart.

• Like 1

One word: Beautiful!!

Absolutely beautiful. So full of meanings and full of heart.

I had to work yesterday so I could only watch what I recorded from the GermanTV.

So first a big F*** you to GermanTV. The broadcast started when Brasil walked into the stadium.

WTF?! Is it so difficult start the program 30 minutes earlier?

But what I say after the athletes parade and the speeches was so brilliant.

Very good job so far!

In case anyone fancies watching the Opening Ceremony again - the IPC Smart Player enables a HQ replay!

One word: Beautiful!!

Absolutely beautiful. So full of meanings and full of heart.

I had to work yesterday so I could only watch what I recorded from the GermanTV.

So first a big F*** you to GermanTV. The broadcast started when Brasil walked into the stadium.

WTF?! Is it so difficult start the program 30 minutes earlier?

But what I say after the athletes parade and the speeches was so brilliant.

Very good job so far!

I heartily second your dissatisfaction about German TV channels screwing up the coverage - I watched some of it here in the Netherlands and was somewhat annoyed about them cutting the first part of the ceremony.

If you examine the German Paralympic TV schedule, you will see that they have put most of the coverage in the afternoon and the late evening, when most Germans are either at work or getting ready to go to bed. No primetime coverage - if you don't give people the option (and make assumptions about their viewing habits), it's no wonder the Paralympics won't gather meaningful viewing figures.

Just watching the part with Birdy singing. Amazing voice!

Absolutely!

In case anyone fancies watching the Opening Ceremony again - the IPC Smart Player enables a HQ replay!

I heartily second your dissatisfaction about German TV channels screwing up the coverage - I watched some of it here in the Netherlands and was somewhat annoyed about them cutting the first part of the ceremony.

If you examine the German Paralympic TV schedule, you will see that they have put most of the coverage in the afternoon and the late evening, when most Germans are either at work or getting ready to go to bed. No primetime coverage - if you don't give people the option (and make assumptions about their viewing habits), it's no wonder the Paralympics won't gather meaningful viewing figures.

Absolutely!

Thank you! So I can watch the first 20 minutes. :D

Didn't see it this morning but watched a bit on YouTube and I have to say it's sensational, if not, better than the Olympic Opening Ceremony.

I'll second that. It was spectacular in an understated way, graceful and entertaining, educating and persuading.

I wonder what the religious freaks made of the Big Bang part though - I hope it infuriated them :P

• Like 1

Danny, as amazing as he is, had nothing to do with this ceremony - or the closing for the Olympics infact.

Each ceremony has a separate artistic team, with I think Kim Gavin doing both closings.

• Like 1

Great narrative they had and Sir Ian McKellen couldn't be more epic. Camerawork was flawless, although it shifted a little too fast between Miranda on her umbrella boat and the flaming skirt dancer. Many artists with disabilities through the entire show made it an inclusive ceremony without looking too forced. I Vow to Thee My Country was so beautiful I even felt proud to be british!!!!! And that was the best rendition of God Save the Queen in all London 2012 related performances (2008 handover included).

I'll second that. It was spectacular in an understated way, graceful and entertaining, educating and persuading.

I wonder what the religious freaks made of the Big Bang part though - I hope it infuriated them :P

HAHA! Not really. Big Bang as a theory was first proposed by a priest!

HAHA! Not really. Big Bang as a theory was first proposed by a priest!

Well you don't have to be a priest to be a religious freak - there are parts of the world where saying the Earth's older than 6000 years is still heresy!!!! :blink:

Here's hoping.

On a similar note, I wonder how many Americans now realise Stephen Hawking is in fact British. ;)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/12/hawking_british_and_alive/

Here's hoping.

On a similar note, I wonder how many Americans now realise Stephen Hawking is in fact British. ;)

http://www.theregist...tish_and_alive/

Ha yeah! I once read a reply to an American blog who said Stephen Hawking couldn't be British because his accent was too American-sounding. Of course about 40 replies pointed out in varying degrees of sarcasm that it was his speech machine that had that accent, not him!!!!

Didn't see it this morning but watched a bit on YouTube and I have to say it's sensational, if not, better than the Olympic Opening Ceremony.

I third it! It was far better...very easy to follow and enjoyable to watch... :)

Just look at the Queen, she's enjoying herself and Princess Anne waving the Team GB flag around just proves it! :)

An awful ceremony IMO. It was very much the wrong decision to delay the main part until after the two hour athletes parade (and the ratings prove that - they halved during the parade!) and the ceremony felt more like a lecture than a celebration of sport. It was also missing that crucial British humour which carried the Olympic ceremonies (umbrellas don't count!).

The flying Paralympians and entrance of the flame was rather cool though - though hated the actual lighting as the flame didn't even appear to touch the cauldron, while an 84 year old Paralympian (even though she was Britains first) just went against the whole "Inspire a Generation" idea.

So all in all they're gradually getting worse - but I think I'm just all ceremonied out!

Yeah BrekkieBoy have to admit I didn't watch the OC live but on Youtube...Hence clicking to when NZ came out and the GB. Viewership always drops off during the Parade'.

I did enjoy the Science theme as for some reason the event relates due to science's connection with disabilities (cures, problem solving, mind over matter etc...). and of course the greatest living scientist at the moment, Steven Hawking. Sir Iain Mckellan was a brilliant touch as he always fights for disabillities. I enjoyed that aspect of it...as usuall the Cauldron lighting was just as underwhelming but hey it still looks good. :)