Sign in to follow this  
paul92

London 2012 Paralympic Games Opening Ceremony

Someone took this photo on Instagram with the caption: "Wow. Rehearsal for the Paralympic ceremony outside @wmc."

http://instagram.com/p/OzexD4pDR8/

Is that outside the Olympic stadium? (and I'm not even sure that's the stadium). Can someone weigh in?

Yep Millennium Centre is right. it's not in London, but a wonderful building nevertheless. It's in Cardiff Bay. Each of the UK capitals has a ceremony/festival to welcome the paralympic flames. The lettering on the building reads Creu Gwir Fel Gwydr O Ffwrnais Awen / In These Stones Horizons Sing.

Unfortunately it was tipping down when the flame arrived:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19391153

Hopefully better weather when the 24 hour relay starts. I'm hoping torchcam will make another appearance, although I think that was a BBC thing (intellectually stolen from Vancouver 2010/ CBC? of course)

Here's a picture taken inside the Stadium just before yesterday's dress rehearsal. Doesn't reveal much, but there's that odd umbrella hanging in mid-air, and you can spot the location of the cauldron for the OC.

A1VAqT1CIAA21Td.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/timthejab/status/240169250751389696

Sorry wrong URL:

ImlM4.jpg

And some new details from The Guardian:

The ceremony, directed by Jenny Sealey and Bradley Hemmings, will feature more than 3,000 volunteers including 50 disabled performers who have been learning circus skills from scratch. The athletes will come in earlier than during the Olympics opening ceremony, sitting on the track to form part of the audience.

Coe said the show, titled Enlightenment, was more thoughtful than the action-packed opening hour of Danny Boyle's rapturously received Isles of Wonder extravaganza. "I really like it. It focuses on that extraordinary period in European history and the great intellectual revolution that took place between 1550 and 1720. Everything from Newton making sense of gravity and motion to Napier with logarithms and Harvey with blood circulation.

"It's really about ceilings, about human understanding, about limitations and the importance of knowledge. Within that period some quite profound things were being said about the rights of man. You can probably gather what it's trying to say."

The same Thomas Heatherwick-designed cauldron used during the Olympics will be used for the Paralympics, but only 166 of its 205 "petals" will be inscribed, reflecting the smaller number of competing countries.

Locog has produced 20 films to describe the various Paralympic sports and an overarching introduction to the classification system that underpins them. Coe estimated that 80-90% of people watching Olympic or Paralympic sport were doing so for the first time, and said it was important to set it in context.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/27/paralympics-tv-deals-ticket-rush

The umbrella? Wow. Citigroup/Travellers' Insurance is getting a lot of free publicity in this Ceremony.

citigroup_logo.jpg

Oh, and it looks like the cup-like 'petals' are already in place.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Locog has produced 20 films to describe the various Paralympic sports and an overarching introduction to the classification system that underpins them. Coe estimated that 80-90% of people watching Olympic or Paralympic sport were doing so for the first time, and said it was important to set it in context.

Have any of the LOCOG videos they produced for the sports at the OIympics made it onto YouTube yet?

Im so looking forward to the Para OC. I'm in block 246 which is at the opposite end to the flame :)

Paralympic Opening Ceremony - Tonight

Duration: 3 hours

Time: 8:30 pm (London)

Featuring a cast of more than 3,000 volunteers, 100 children and over 100 professional artists.

Yup; it's at 8.30... a month on from the Olympic Opening and it gets darker just that little earlier!

Preshow starts at 8 again for those in the Stadium; the request is to be seated (at least initially) by 7.30pm.

The official schedule says 8:30 p.m. - and that's what I've read also in most articles.

http://www.london2012.com/paralympics/schedule-and-results/day=29-august/list.html

German TV channel ARD, however, has chosen not to start its broadcast of the opening ceremony before 9 p.m. London time. I'm pretty angry about that, especially after they broadcasted all the Paralympic opening ceremonies since at least Torino 2006 in their entirety and are now praising themselves for doing an unprecedented number of 37 hours of broadcasting from the Paralympics.

Yup; it's at 8.30... a month on from the Olympic Opening and it gets darker just that little earlier!

Oh yeh, didn't even think of that.

+ May help to see the aerobatics show - I presume featuring that illuminated blue plane + more.

Found this in Facebook.

523466_10151007558550976_1043607455_n.jpg

Will the chairs be where the athletes will be sitting during the Opening Ceremony tomorrow morning Perth Time?

So... does Prince Harry have any involvement in the ceremonies, or is he still busy on the set of The Hangover Part III?

I don't know whether one can listen to this also in foreign countries - but here's a report of ARD radio about the opening ceremony where you can hear some snippets of the ceremony in the background. So apparently there was some rehearsal for the media or they simply distributed clips of the rehearsals to the media:

http://olympia.ard.de/london2012/paralympics/audios/audio126383.html

It doesn't reveal much about the ceremony, though. The reporter says that the ceremony will start with the Big Bang and the big questions of mankind: Who are we? Where do we come from? And where are the limits of universe? And then you can hear the computer voice of Stephen Hawking.

You can also hear how they introduce the Queen and Philip Craven and how they sing the national anthem - a very calm, pensive and beautiful arrangement for a choir, apparently.

Then they interview some German Paralympic athletes.

• Like 1

Will the chairs be where the athletes will be sitting during the Opening Ceremony tomorrow morning Perth Time?

I presume there will be a few disabled athletes who are unable to stand for hours at a time.

Quite cool to have the chairs surrounding the stage area like that.

I presume there will be a few disabled athletes who are unable to stand for hours at a time.

Quite cool to have the chairs surrounding the stage area like that.

Was wondering about why were there chairs in the set for the Para Games OC.

Really looking forward to it tomorrow morning at 5.30AM EST.

Weather wise in London. It is cloudy and we have had the odd spot of rain.

However the good news is that it is expected to be dry from 4pm onwards and clear skies from 6pm onward.

So good news there, looks like everything will be going ahead as planned with no trouble from above.

Awesome. Looking forward to the Paralympic Opening Ceremony but no live coverage here in Oz :(

It's being covered live on ABC1 (replay on ABC2) from 5:30am, AEST.

BBC News

Apparently this will be happening tonight:

The crowd will be urged to take part in the world's largest "apple crunch", as each spectator is given an apple to bite simultaneously

Can anyone explain what this is or what it means?

An 'apple crunch'????

Can anyone explain what this is or what it means?

An 'apple crunch'????

Since largest 'flash mobs' has already been taken, how about another gimmick...just to get into the Guinness Book of somethings... Hope nobody's overbite gets displaced.

And what do they do with the apple cores? Toss them at the athletes??

The opening ceremony will be broadcast here via Tves. It will be the second time in history the paralympics are actually broadcasted in our country since Beijing 2008 (as much as I despiste Tves at least they innovated with bringing us the paralympics here)

Sign in to follow this