London 2012 Paralympic Games Opening Ceremony

Exactly. Starting with Sydney -- and that's just how things evolve -- nearly all the Paralympics operations were folded into the main Organizing effort. The Paralympics effort in Atlanta had very little promotional efforts. Their budget was separate and NOT covered by ATHOC's main expenses.

this isnt correct. i worked for SOCOG in Sydney and although we shared a little, the Paralymics had their own organising committee.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may not be relavent, but Im British and as far as I can tell from people who ive been speaking to (who normally are not interested in sprts at all) they are genuinly looking forward to the paralympics!!

Is this normal being the host country that people embrace the paralympics? Or are they really becoming more popular? From what ive read the paralympics were a huge success in Beijing, which is fantastic! But are they relly that bothered now?

Also, in Britain the paralympics are being shown on channel 4 (not the BBC), who im sure will have great coverage ( I love their current billboards all over Britain saying 'thanks for the warm up'). But what is the coverage like in other countries? Is it even shown in the USA?

I think it's more something to hang onto after the main event has finished and the host city inhabitants are feeling a bit empty and deflated. It's something to still look forward to, even though you know the best of the Olympic experience has passed.

That said, they can be great to attend and help relive some of the games experience. But nobody should kid themselves that they are a substitute for the real Olympics.

I think it's more something to hang onto after the main event has finished and the host city inhabitants are feeling a bit empty and deflated. It's something to still look forward to, even though you know the best of the Olympic experience has passed.

That said, they can be great to attend and help relive some of the games experience. But nobody should kid themselves that they are a substitute for the real Olympics.

I agree and they also provide an oppportunity for people to get involved who missed out or did not have the experience required to be involved in production, logistic and management roles. Using them as a stepping stone to the main event.

I've got paralympic tickets and I'm really pleased I get to see the park and some of the venues - I think a lot of talk about Britain being the spiritual home of the paralympic movement is fanciful, a nice fairy tale. The tickets are being snapped up because a lot of people couldn't get olympic tickets, or suddenly have caught olympic fever, and want to say they went to the park in 2012.

I'm really looking forward to the ceremonies too.

The tickets are being snapped up because a lot of people couldn't get olympic tickets, or suddenly have caught olympic fever, and want to say they went to the park in 2012.

I'm really looking forward to the ceremonies too.

Yeah, a lot of people told me that was the exact reason they went for tix. My Brighton friend, for example, just really wanted something that would get her into Olympic Park (the only thing she got for the actual Olymnpics were at Lords and Excel)

Superb drama on BBC2 this even calling 'The Best of Men' about the treatment of patients at Stoke Mandeville and the first ParaOlympics in 1948.

Would recommend to anyone who can get access to BBC iPlayer

I watched it, thought it was superb. But the Wikipedia entry for Dr Guttmann on how he got the job at Stoke Mandeville was a little different to the film. I wonder who is telling the truth...

Anyway, considering (near) London is where the Paralympics were brought into being, and its significant "homecoming", which I think is very important to the organising committee to emphasise, I don't see how they would take the event lightly. I would wager that the whole opening will be grander than people envisage, and will probably honour Dr Guttmann and the very first paralympians in some way. Not long to go!!!!

It appears this may also be the moment for those who jizz over the orbit to have their moment of satisfaction. A zip wire has been seen which links the tower to the stadium. For the opening ceremony I would assume???

My LOCOG source, with whom I am working on a post-Games project, has said that the Paralympics Opening will be very beautiful. Not officially associated with the Para ceremonies, she worked with the regular O Opening mostly, she will be viewing the Para Opening strictly as a viewer. That's just what she said.

Paralympics volunteers denied tickets for opening ceremony rehearsals

The organisers of the Paralympic Games have apologised to 3,000 volunteer cast members for not allowing them to invite friends and family to dress rehearsals for Wednesday's sold-out opening ceremony.

Volunteers who appeared in Danny Boyle's opening ceremony for the Olympics were given two tickets each to allow loved ones to watch them perform in full dress rehearsals. Performers in the Paralympic equivalent have been upset not to receive the same opportunity.

http://www.guardian....s?newsfeed=true

This is a bit of a non-story; those in the Paralympic Ceremonies were told back in early July that there would be no Paralympic public dress rehearsals (just as there was none for the Olympic Closing Ceremony) and that was why they had been given tickets for the Olympic Opening dress rehearsal so they could at least go to the Stadium in advance. But it obviously wasn't clear to everyone since we all got that email the other day to explain why again.

Personally, I prefer having at least one rehearsal with an audience so they can test the participation elements more effectively!

Was there today.

Can confirm the zip wire from the Orbit to the stadium is still there. Though more of a lifting devise like they used to bring in Mary Poppins or the rings - rather than a zip wire for a person.

Don't expect to see Stephen Hawkin flying in.

A few tidbits from The Independent:

All those involved in the ceremony are under strict orders not to give away secrets, but The Independent can reveal that double Mercury Prize-winning singer PJ Harvey has been working with disabled artists who will premiere their music with her during the ceremony.
There will be an athletes’ parade and a speech by Lord Sebastian Coe, and Thomas Heatherwick’s beautiful cauldron, with new copper petals on its stems, will be re-lit using the Paralympic flame.

There will be an athletes’ parade and a speech by Lord Sebastian Coe, and Thomas Heatherwick’s beautiful cauldron, with new copper petals on its stems, will be re-lit using the Paralympic flame.

Wow -- that research must have been pretty difficult for the Independent author. Who would have thought that there's an athletes' parade, a speech by Coe and the cauldron being re-lit? ;)

And this is also interesting:

We also know that the Paralympics opener has, like the Slumdog Millionaire director’s show, been influenced by William Shakespeare’s The Tempest. That is purely coincidence, Sealey and Hemmings insist.

Mmmm... yeah - just like it was "purely coincidental" (according to the ceremonies team) that the broad line on the stage of the Pandemonium and the later segments of the opening ceremony looked like the Thames.

GamesBids.com EXCLUSIVE!!!

Woh, an exclusive?!

That's right!

So I was walking through the village today, I could see the stadium from where I was. Suddenly a plane flew over, completely lit up in blue and with fireworks- or kind-of big sparklers - flying out from each wing.

There was a helicopter following it and was clearly filming the plane.

Then the plane appeared to do a loop.

It all looked very impressive and no doubt part of the opening ceremony. Maybe rehearsal or filming to be shown on the night.

GamesBids.com EXCLUSIVE!!!

Woh, an exclusive?!

That's right!

So I was walking through the village today, I could see the stadium from where I was. Suddenly a plane flew over, completely lit up in blue and with fireworks- or kind-of big sparklers - flying out from each wing.

There was a helicopter following it and was clearly filming the plane.

Then the plane appeared to do a loop.

It all looked very impressive and no doubt part of the opening ceremony. Maybe rehearsal or filming to be shown on the night.

DId u see the part where Prince Philip was supposed to jump out in a wheelchair? :blink:

DId u see the part where Prince Philip was supposed to jump out in a wheelchair? :blink:

Of course not, everyone knows he is going to zip wire in from the Orbit.

But really, I did take a photo but as I only had my phone on me...it's not the best photo.

BUT

After a little search on Twitter, it turns out someone else managed to get a better picture.

A1QGv0HCMAAj9ol.jpg

Credit to 'StarlightTess'

The black bit above the plane is the helicopter filming. It's just a bit blurred.

Archived