NBC should have shown the "moment of silence" segment!

NBC did not show the tribute to the terror victims of the 2005 bombings but instead cut to the Micheal Phelps interview. I think this was totally inappriate on NBC;s part. Their excuse:"Our broadcast is tailored to American audiecences?" Hey, this is not the Superbowl or Final Four. Their needs to be a demand for a apology by NBC. What are they going to do next? New York hosts the games in the the future and they do a tribute to the victims of 9/11 and that is cut out. Shame on you Ebersol!!

NBC snobs...it truly is shameful, although I have to say that I really didn't understand nor could appreciate the theatrics of the segment.

It reminds me of how they showed half of the Vancouver Closing Ceremony, then spent an hour advertising one of their future shows by showing everyone the pilot, and only after that was done did they show the rest of the Closing Ceremony...while most Olympic viewers probably went WTF when they stopped halfway, thinking that was it for Olympic coverage. Totally tasteless...

I watched the nbc coverage and i saw them pause during the loud satanic mills section. the music continued but everybody stopped doing what they were doing. one of my fav parts actually cause the music just was so amazing

I'm not condoning NBC's action at all, but there is one point that hasn't been made with respect to this controversy.

That is, the "Memory Wall" segment of the ceremony was not explicitly about 7/7 victims. Rather, it was about lost loved ones of everyone in the audience.

So, NBC's decision is not akin to, say, editing out a 9/11 tribute.

Again, not saying it was the right decision, but it certainly wasn't a sign of disrespect to 7/7 victims or anything like that.

Edit: even the OC media guide says nothing about 7/7.

Although not a direct memorial to the 7/7 victims (it should have been!), this was supposedly the point in which broadcasters would point that out and perhaps even the Munich Massacre.

No disrespect intended, but what exactly does a tribute to lost loved ones have to do in an Olympic Opening Ceremony?

I "understood" how everything tied back to London and the UK but not this. Anyone care to explain?

No disrespect intended, but what exactly does a tribute to lost loved ones have to do in an Olympic Opening Ceremony?

I "understood" how everything tied back to London and the UK but not this. Anyone care to explain?

I have absolutely no idea what that segment was supposed to be about. It was truly bizarre and awkward. It was darn right inappropriate consider all of Jacques talk of the OC being a happy time and inappropriate for a Munich moment of silence.

I guess audience members were asked to submit photos via their smart phones? I would have snuck in photos of the Munich massacre victims.

NBC mentioned the terror attacks twice very sympathetically. It is commonplace for them to cut a segment out of the ceremonies. I can't remember for the life of me what they cut from Athens (I only have the official DVD -- not the NBC broadcast), but I remember learning that they had cut something.

The reality is that they paid BILLIONS for the privilege to broadcast the Games. That money is funding NOC's, enabling athletes to compete who otherwise couldn't be there. Surely that investment entitles them to make decisions they believe to be in their best interest. They must air a certain number of commercials. They must create the most entertaining, attention-getting broadcast they can. As it is, London's ceremony was often slow, difficult to follow and many people tuned out part way through because it had lost their interest.

I didn't see the 7/7 segment in real life. I don't know if I would have made the same decision or not. I certainly don't like all of NBC's choices. But I think their huge financial stake in the Games entitles them to make those choices -- right or wrong.

I watched the nbc coverage and i saw them pause during the loud satanic mills section. the music continued but everybody stopped doing what they were doing. one of my fav parts actually cause the music just was so amazing

That's not the segment in question. There was a section of the show that was dedicated to victims of terrorism. Read about it here: http://deadspin.com/5929778/heres-the-opening-ceremony-tribute-to-terrorism-victims-nbc-doesnt-want-you-to-see

I actually wrote to NBC on this matter.

Everyone else should write them too.

Questions about the Olympics?

Email to:

nbcolympicsfeedback@nbcuni.com

It was a way of acknowledging the victims of 7/7 which occured the day after London winning the bid without making it explicitly about them. Officially it was more open than that, but we all knew exactly what the moment was all about, and unlike the Munich anniversary it was crucial there was a moment within the ceremony when 7/7 was remembered.

It was a way of acknowledging the victims of 7/7 which occured the day after London winning the bid without making it explicitly about them. Officially it was more open than that, but we all knew exactly what the moment was all about, and

"We all knew"? Who, exactly? And how did you "know"? I watched it live on the BBC and I had no idea the segment was about 7/7 victims. I could have had the media guide open in front of me and I still would have had no idea.

unlike the Munich anniversary it was crucial there was a moment within the ceremony when 7/7 was remembered.

Again, why? Just because you say so? The fact remains that the 7/7 bombings had nothing to do with the Olympics (the attack was planned well before London was awarded the Games so its timing does not mean anything), whereas Munich was the worst tragedy in the history of the modern Games.

I don't begrudge the organizers for wanting a more solemn, reflective tone for part of the show. And frankly, I don't begrudge the IOC for prohibiting a Munich commemoration on the grounds that you don't want to risk a mass boycott by Arab nations (no matter how ridiculous that would have been). But this flies in the face of the rationale given for why there couldn't be a Munich commemoration at the OC - i.e., that it is too sad and dour for such a joyous occasion.

Munich and 7/7 were both perpetrated by Arab terrorists. Seems like if you're going to commemorate one of these attacks, and risk alienating Arab nations and sympathizers, you might as well commemorate the other.

It was a way of acknowledging the victims of 7/7 which occured the day after London winning the bid without making it explicitly about them. Officially it was more open than that, but we all knew exactly what the moment was all about, and unlike the Munich anniversary it was crucial there was a moment within the ceremony when 7/7 was remembered.

Brekkie, like the cauldron issue, this seems to be another stubborn cause celebre of yours.

#1 - You have to realize that many elements of the Games are NOT sacrosanct. How come you haven't taken Danny Boyle, etc., to task for NOT using the Olympic hymn at the Opening? How come they're no longer using real doves? Etc., etc.

#2 - I think the 7/7 is primarily a "local" event. In 2002, the IOC only allowed the little WTC memorial moment BEFORE the actual Ceremony proper. And here you are just foaming at the mouth just because a redundant (really of local resonances) moment was removed.

Give it a rest or sue NBC already. Jeez.

Fine Baron, but it's not as though you don't get prickly anytime people criticise Atlanta's efforts. As cause celebre go you've got your fair share.

While it doesn't say expressly in the media guide it was for the 7/7 victims, it was still part of the ceremony and should have been shown. I for one was looking for it as was bewildered when I couldn't find in the broadcast.

Archived