Athletics (Track and Field) at the 2012 Summer Olympics

It is interesting though, since his participation in the Olympics brought up the issue of "fairness", and you would think that he would have been a bit more sensitive to throw that out there at someone else.

I strongly disagree with this point. To anyone who questions the fairness of Pistorious' blades, I suggest they chop off their own legs and get blades of their own. It is preposterous to suggest that an amputee has an advantage over able-bodied runners.

The Paralympics are extremely dependent on classification and equipment -- far more so than the Olympic Games. If Pistorious genuinely believes that the Brazilian bent the rules, he is right to voice his concern. If he is simply unhappy he lost and is grasping at straws in response -- that's a different matter. Until the matter is proved otherwise, I will assume Pistorious acted in good faith. Even if his protest is not upheld, that doesn't make him a sore loser. It may just mean he is incorrect.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IPC Media Statement – Men’s 200m T44

120902015100468_Oscar.mainpicture_612.jpgOscar Pistorius races in the 200m T44 heats on Day 3 of the London 2012 Paralympic Games. © • Getty Images

listen_en_uk.gif

In IPC Athletics rules are in place regarding prosthesis length for lower leg amputees.

Since 2010 athletes competing at IPC international competitions have been checked at regular occasions in the Call Room prior to participation.

At the London 2012 Paralympic Games all athletes competing in T42/43/44 events (above knee and below knee lower leg amputees) have had their prosthesis measured against the IPC Athletics Rules.

This evening all athletes competing in the Men’s 200m T44 final were checked by international classifiers in the Call Room ahead of the race. All were within the regulations outlined in the IPC Athletics Classification Handbook.

After the race Oscar Pistorius requested a meeting with the IPC where he voiced his concerns.

Craig Spence, IPC Communications Director, said: “Oscar raised a concern with the IPC regarding the rules on the length of prosthesis in T43/44 events.

“We agreed to meet with him at a later date so that he could raise his questions in a formal environment away from the emotion of the stadium.

“The IPC respects the significant role Oscar has played in raising the global profile of Paralympic Sport since his Games debut in 2004. Therefore we are more than willing to give him an opportunity to air his views in a non-emotional environment at a meeting to be organised at a later date.”

Pistorius apologised for his comments earlier today before receiving his silver medal.

I strongly disagree with this point. To anyone who questions the fairness of Pistorious' blades, I suggest they chop off their own legs and get blades of their own. It is preposterous to suggest that an amputee has an advantage over able-bodied runners.

The Paralympics are extremely dependent on classification and equipment -- far more so than the Olympic Games. If Pistorious genuinely believes that the Brazilian bent the rules, he is right to voice his concern. If he is simply unhappy he lost and is grasping at straws in response -- that's a different matter. Until the matter is proved otherwise, I will assume Pistorious acted in good faith. Even if his protest is not upheld, that doesn't make him a sore loser. It may just mean he is incorrect.

"Strongly Disagree" with what? I really didn't take a position on whether he can't speak out or not, but I merely questioned his timing.

Anyway, Pistorius offered an apology, so I guess he agrees with me, even if you don't. :lol:

'Blade Runner’ Oscar Pistorius offers apology for ill-timed comments after Paralympic loss

Just in case you thought otherwise... I also agree that it was right for him to compete in the Olympics.

There was no "bending the rules" from Brazilian athletes. We can discuss how fair are 'da rulez', but not we can not say Brazilian athlete did something wrong.

Pistorius can start a campaign to make the blade measurements be the same height of the athlete before it got amputee, or how high the athlete would be. That's would be a fair campaign. And probably his blades would be reduced as well.

It is interesting though, since his participation in the Olympics brought up the issue of "fairness", and you would think that he would have been a bit more sensitive to throw that out there at someone else.

I disagree with your implication that Pistorious questioning the fairness of another Paralympic athletes blades merits ANY comparison to an able-bodied Olympic athlete questioning the fairness of Pistorious' blades.

The latest on the Ostapchuk positive drug test:

Belarus shot putter Nadzeya Ostapchuk has been handed a one-year suspension, the country's anti-doping agency (NADA) said today.

The Belarusian was stripped of the Olympic gold medal last month after testing positive for a banned anabolic steroid, with the medal being awarded to New Zealand's Valerie Adams.

Ostapchuk, 31, was given a lesser sentence than a standard two-year ban after her coach Alexander Yefimov admitted intentionally spiking her food with the steroid.

"Yefimov confessed he had put the banned drug metenolone into Ostapchuk's food without her knowledge because he was worried by her performances in the lead-up to the London Games," NADA head Alexander Vankhadlo told a news conference.

Yefimov has received a four-year suspension for his part in the doping case.

"He had admitted his guilt," added Vankhadlo.

Ostapchuk has denied any wrongdoing, saying she was tested twice before competing in London and both tests returned negative results.

"In total, I've been tested 16 times since April. You must be a complete idiot to take doping just before the competition especially such an outdated drug as a steroid, knowing you're going to be tested not once but probably several times," Ostapchuk said last month.

Ostapchuk, who had won the Olympic gold with a throw of 21.36 metres, was world champion in 2005 and European champion two years ago. In July, at a meeting in Minsk, she threw 21.58, the best outdoor distance in the world since 1998.

Disgraced drug cheat Nadzeya Ostapchuk has returned her tainted Olympic gold medal and it will be presented to London 2012 champion Valerie Adams in a public ceremony at The Cloud in downtown Auckland next Wednesday night.

Governor General Sir Jerry Mateparae will be the man to put the medal around Adams' neck in what is the first-ever Olympic gold ceremony on New Zealand soil.

The New Zealand Olympic Committee confirmed the ceremony has been added to a pre-existing function already scheduled at The Cloud, worked in conjunction with sponsor ANZ and Adams' management.

The night event will also feature the biggest fireworks displays New Zealand has ever seen with simultaneous displays in Auckland and Wellington.

"It's exactly what I wanted," Adams said this morning.

"A public celebration on the night I arrive back home is wonderful. I'm looking forward to celebrating the gold medal with the people of New Zealand, as well as my family and members of the New Zealand Olympic team."

Adams will be joined at the event by fellow gold medallists Mahe Drysdale, Eric Murray, Hamish Bond, Jo Aleh and Olivia Powrie and other medallists and members of the 2012 Olympic team.

The NZOC has elected to giveaway more than 2000 public tickets through radio competitions.

We've been working with Valerie to create a memorable event and are delighted to invite the people of New Zealand to share it," said NZOC secretary general Kereyn Smith.

"It will be a wonderful occasion that honours her achievements on the world's stage, as well the success of our proud London Olympic team.

"This is the very first time an Olympic gold medal will be presented in New Zealand and is an incredible opportunity for Kiwis to be proud and get involved."

Its great to see that Valerie will finally get her gold medal! It will be a special evening for the presentation. Its still a shame that she was not given the opportunity to be presented her gold medal inside the olympics stadium in London!

• 4 weeks later...

Double Olympic champion Mo Farah wins best European men’s athlete award for 2012

Double Olympic champion Mo Farah has won the men’s athlete of the year award from the European Athletics federation for a second straight year.

The British distance runner, who completed a 5,000-10,000-meters double at the London Olympics in August, beat two Frenchmen to the European honor. Olympic pole vault champion Renaud Lavillenie finished second and sprinter Christophe Lemaitre was third.

Farah also successfully defended his European 5,000 title at Helsinki six weeks earlier.

Last year, Farah received the European body’s season-ending award after winning the 5,000 world title.

Britain completed an awards double after Olympic heptathlon gold medalist Jessica Ennis won the women’s accolade on Thursday.

European Athletics polled national federations, fans, media and a panel of experts.

AP

http://www.washingto...b71a_story.html

• 2 months later...

Speaking of Jessica Ennis, she won second place in the 2012 BBC Sports Personality of the Year just a couple of days ago in London. (Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins, who also won gold in London, won first place) However, it was what happened when she accepted the award from Kate Middleton onstage that sparked outrage in Britain. Apparently, Ennis refused to shake Kate's hand. But, as you look closely, she had her hands full trying to find where to place the trophy as the two were talking and thus couldn't shake her hand at that moment; Ennis doesn't really deserve all that pilloraging. Just bad timing.

http://deadspin.com/5968912/brit-olympics-hero-jessica-ennis-leaves-kate-middleton-hanging-on-awards+show-handshake-sparks-national-outrage

...that sparked outrage in Britain

Ennis doesn't really deserve all that pilloraging

Eh? This is news to me! I didn't even know Ennis had been accused of snubbing Kate, and I'd have thought if there was "outrage in Britain" I might've at least have heard about it. :huh:

So, thanks deadspin.com for informing me about this important matter and the outrage it has caused in my country! :lol:

• 1 year later...

Report into poor Kenyan performance at London 2012 blames athletics federation

February 24 - A long-awaited report into Kenya's poor performance at London 2012 has put the blame on Athletics Kenya (AK).

Kenya won 11 medals at London 2012, but only two of them were gold, widely seen as a disappointment after Beijing four years earlier when they claimed six gold medals.

The team's Chef de Mission Jonathan Koskei and Stephen arap Soi, a senior official with the National Committee of Kenya (NOCK), have now handed in a damning report to the Government which blames Athletics Kenya.

The large majority of Kenya's team at London 2012 was made up of track and field athletes.

They provided the outstanding performance of London 2012 when David Rudisha set a world record in the 800 metres, while Ezekiel Kemboi won the 3,000m steeplechase for the second time in three Games, but otherwise it was disappointing.

"The team did not perform to the expectation of Kenyans due to divided loyalty, technical aspects especially in coaching and negative publicity," said Koskei in the report, according to The Standard in Nairobi.

"Some athletes did not know who was in charge between AK and NOCK,"

They are particularly damning about an alleged row over where the team should base itself in the build-up to the Olympics.

The NOCK signed a deal with Bristol but it is claimed in the report that AK arranged their own base in Bedford.

"It was as a result of various change of goalposts and persistent refusal by the chairman of AK, Isaiah Kiplagat, that we discovered that indeed in June 2010, he signed an MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) with the City of Bedford to have pre-Olympic training camp and was therefore against Team Kenya training in Bristol, claiming that it was unsuitable because it was low altitude," said Koskei.

"Bristol and Bedford are both in the same altitude and would have provided same benefits.

"Kenyans should judge for themselves who between NOCK and AK misguided or denied the athletes acclimatisation opportunities.

"As a result of non-cooperation by Athletics Kenya and the athletes, the team did not perform to our expectation."

There is also criticism in the report of Vivian Cheruiyot, winner of the Olympic bronze medal in the 10,000 metres and silver in 5,000m, who is accused of indiscipline after demanding that her husband be allowed to stay with her at the Olympic Village without prior arrangement.

According to a separate report handed to the Government, Kenya's participation at London 2012 cost $2.7 million (£1.5 million/€1.9 million), including $142,000 (£86,000/€104,000) for the training camp in Bristol.

Kiplagat denied that he had been involved in entering into a separate agreement with Bedford.

"I have never seen [the] report and I don't know its contents," he told The Standard.

"The report was sent to the Ministry [of Sports] and has not been released to the public.

"We never signed anything with the city of Bedford."

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2012/1018569-report-into-poor-kenyan-performance-at-london-2012-blames-athletics-federation

• 1 year later...

Tyson Gay case costs 2012 US Olympic men's sprint relay team its silver medal
Anonymous officials confirm that entire team will lose medals after Tyson Gay returned his own and accepted a one-year doping suspension

> http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/may/13/olympics-2012-mens-relay-silver-medal-tyson-gay-doping

Archived