Athletics (Track and Field) at the 2012 Summer Olympics

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to believe its almost the end...When the mens Marathon begins, that hollow feeling begins to set in.

Yeah, the sadness grows in me. And what should I do now? No more sports on TV for the whole day.

Back to real life........

Decathletes Ashton Eaton and Curtis Beach receive Fair Play awards

The International Fair Play Committee has presented Special Prizes to American decathletes Ashton Eaton and Curtis Beach for the exemplary spirit they have displayed while competing.

The award ceremony took place at German House – the London 2012 headquarters of the German National Olympic Committee – and the prizes were presented by IOC Vice President Thomas Bach, IAAF President Lamine Diack and Dr Jeno Kamuti, President of the International Fair Play Committee.

The International Fair Play Committee highlighted Beach’s “act of fair play” that took place at the USA Olympic Track & Field Trails in Eugene, Oregon earlier this summer. Coming into the last event of the decathlon – the 1,500m – Eaton had a chance to break the world record. As the stronger middle distance runner, Beach was in the lead with Eaton approaching him towards the end of the race. Beach immediately moved aside to the third lane, slowed down, and cheered Eaton on. Eaton ended up breaking the decathlon world record as well as winning the 1,500m.

The International Fair Play Committee is an IOC-recognised organisation created, amongst others, by UNESCO in 1963. Since then it has provided recognition of acts of fair play through various prizes.

IOC

The crowds for the marathon are huge, through every part of the course. I expected as much but wonderful to see. London looks stunning, so much history and so many landmarks.

London has really turned it on for the Marathon. Amazing crowds, stunning course and great weather.

Congratulations London!!!

Final medal results at the men's marathon:

- GOLD: Stephen Kiprotich (Uganda)

- SILVER: Abel Kirui (Kenya)

- BRONZE: Wilson Kipsang Kiprotich (Kenya)

Link: http://www.london2012.com/athletics/event/men-marathon/index.html?v=20120813-003558877

ug-lgflag.gif

Runner without a country finishes marathon

While his competitors ran under the brightly colored flags of their countries, marathoner Guor Marial competed in a black and gray uniform, the letters "I.O.A." printed across his chest.

Independent Olympic Athlete.

When he crossed the finish line, he touched those three letters, then pounded the left side of his chest with his fist in a subtle but significant gesture to describe his Olympic experience.

The south Sudan refugee competed Sunday under the banner of the International Olympic Committee. A runner without a country, he didn't want to compete for Sudan and couldn't compete for the United States, where he lives and trains but is not a citizen. He finished 47th, 11:31 minutes behind the winning time.

The time was of little consequence.

"Finishing the marathon is more important than anything like that," he said. "This is special for the people who support me, in the United States and the whole world and my people in south Sudan. It was important for me to finish, no matter what."

OLYAN101_1440177l.jpg

AP

http://www.ajc.com/s...ry-1498330.html

Statement from the International Olympic Committee:

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today announced that it has disqualified, withdrawn the medal from, and excluded Belarus’s Nadzeya Ostapchuk (athletics, women’s shot put) from the Games of the XXX Olympiad in London.

The athlete was first requested to provide a urine sample for a doping control on 5 August. She competed the next day in the women’s shot put event, where she placed first, and was asked to provide a sample straight after her competition. Both samples indicated the presence of metenolone, which is classified as anabolic agent under the 2012 Prohibited List.

Upon the recommendation of the IOC Disciplinary Commission, composed for this case of Thomas Bach (Chairman), Denis Oswald and Frank Fredericks, the IOC Executive Board decided:

I. The Athlete Ms Nadzeya Ostapchuk, Belarus, Athletics:

(i) is disqualified from the women’s shot put event, where she had placed first;

(ii) is excluded from the Games of the XXX Olympiad in London in 2012;

(iii) shall have her medal, diploma and medallist pin in the above-mentioned event withdrawn;

(iv) shall have her Olympic Identity and Accreditation Card immediately cancelled and withdrawn. II. The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) is requested to modify the results of the above-mentioned event accordingly and to consider any further action within its own competence.

III. The NOC of Belarus is ordered to return to the IOC, as soon as possible, the medal, diploma and medallist pin awarded to the Athlete in relation to the above-noted event.

IV. The IOC administration is instructed to reallocate the medals, diplomas and medallist pins to the athletes who finished behind Ms Nadzeya Ostapchuk in the above-mentioned event, the first three being:

- Valerie Adams, New Zealand, first - Evgeniia Kolodko, Russian Federation, second - Lijiao Gong, People’s Republic of China, third

V. The NOC of Belarus and LOCOG shall ensure full implementation of the Executive Board decision.

VI. This decision shall enter into force immediately.

Valerie wins New Zealand's 6th gold medal of the games!

I must say I am not suprised that Ostapchuk failed the drugs test. Her results in 2012 have shown a huge improvement especially in the weeks out from the Games.

Its good to know that those who cheat will be caught.

Well done Valerie... Back to back Olympic Champion!

Statement from the International Olympic Committee:

Valerie wins New Zealand's 6th gold medal of the games!

I must say I am not suprised that Ostapchuk failed the drugs test. Her results in 2012 have shown a huge improvement especially in the weeks out from the Games.

Its good to know that those who cheat will be caught.

Well done Valerie... Back to back Olympic Champion!

Well, no offense, but you really cannot celebrate a gold medal won on a laboratory over the track. Good that the cheat got caught though. It's also a damn but inevitable shame that London lost its clean record for medalists during the Games.

Why can't we celebrate? The winner was a cheat and was caught out! Valerie Adam is the winner

Exactly. New Zeland desserves to celebrate its Gold. It's a shame it couldn't be celebrated in the stadium as it ought to have been.

My solution, inspired by the Life Of Brian antics in the stadium last night, bring the Belarussian back into the stadium along with all the ticket holders who saw that session of athletics and have a real shot put contest!

What a shame! But congrats to New Zealand!

Archived