Even though the athletics (track and field) events do not officially start until August 3, I heard news that the Olympic cauldron has been moved to a more safer place within the Olympic stadium. Therefore, the organizers can prepare the site for athletic competition.

With 47 different events (and 141 Olympic medals to go for), it is the marquis sport of the Olympic Games. For a preview of the August 3 medal and qualification events, come here.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/athletics/schedule-and-results/day=3-august/all-day.html

athletics.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mo Farah!!

What an amazing day for British sport and London 2012 - the hosts have had a day to remember. Congrats UK! I believe it to be 14 now. I think the British team are laying the gauntlet down to Russia

Grenada declares half-holiday to celebrate James Olympic gold Grenada's prime minister declared a half-holiday on Tuesday and gave the entire island the afternoon off to celebrate runner Kirani James

Even though the athletics (track and field) events do not officially start until August 3, I heard news that the Olympic cauldron has been moved to a more safer place within the Olympic stadium. Therefore, the organizers can prepare the site for athletic competition.

With 47 different events (and 141 Olympic medals to go for), it is the marquis sport of the Olympic Games. For a preview of the August 3 medal and qualification events, come here.

Link: http://www.london201...st/all-day.html

athletics.jpg

Well, from today (August 3) to the men's marathon on August 12, Olympic medals will be handed out in the athletics competiton. The first Olympic medals at stake is for the men's shot put and women's 10,000m events.

Olympic and track officials say three-time world champion Ivan Tsikhan of Belarus tested positive in the recent IOC retests of samples from the 2004 Athens Games.

Tsikhan did not take part in the hammer throw on Friday at the London Olympics.

An Olympic official with direct knowledge of the case says Tsikhan had also been caught in IAAF retests in 2005. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because the results had not been publicly announced.

AP

http://espn.go.com/o...s-test-positive

Majewski, Dibaba win first Olympic Stadium golds

Poland's Tomasz Majewski retained his Olympic men's shot put title while Ethiopian Tirunesh Dibaba retained her Olympic women's 10,000 crown in the first track and field medal events of London 2012.

Majewski edged out Germany's world champion David Storl and Reese Hoffa of the United States who took silver and bronze respectively with a season's best throw of 21.89 metres.

He led with his third attempt inside a lively Olympic stadium and after Germany's second-placed David Storl fouled with his final throw he put the gloss on a confirmed gold with a final effort landing two centimetres further out.

The 30-year-old Pole, who is the first man to win the event twice since American Parry O'Brien in 1952 and 1956, hugged his rivals warmly before running across track to get a Polish flag.

And after the Pole had won the inaugural London gold on the field, the Ethiopian runner claimed the first on the track by storming to victory.

Kenyan Sally Kipyego took silver and compatriot and world champion Vivian Cheruiyot was third.

http://au.eurosport....ry-london.shtml

Final medal results for the following events on August 3.

Men's Shot Put:

- GOLD: Tomasz Majewski (Poland) (Seasonal Best)

- SILVER: David Storl (Germany)

- BRONZE: Reese Hoffa (United States)

Link: http://www.london2012.com/athletics/event/men-shot-put/phase=atm051100/index.html

Women's 10,000m:

- GOLD: Tirunesh Dibaba (Ethiopia) (Seasonal Best)

- SILVER: Sally Jepkosgei Kipyego (Kenya) (Personal Best)

- BRONZE: Vivian Jepkemoi Cheruiyot (Kenya) (Personal Best)

Link: http://www.london2012.com/athletics/event/women-10000m/phase=atw100100/index.html

August 4 sees that lots of Olympic medals are up for grabs. These are the events that they will be handed out:

- Women's Heptahlon;

- Men's 20km Race Walk;

- Women's Discus Throw;

- Women's 100m;

- Men's Long Jump; and,

- Men's 10,000m.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/athletics/schedule-and-results/day=4-august/all-day.html

athletics.jpg

A major blooper at this Olympic athletics competition: Germany's Lilli Schwarzkopf - who could have won silver in heptathlon - got disqualified at first because the judges confused her with the runner in the track beside her. That runner - and not Lilli Schwarzkopf - stepped on the line of her track in the first bend at the 800 metres run. And the judges were unable to distinguish between her and Schwarzkopf, despite all the cameras and the numbers on the athletes' backs! Lilli Schwarzkopf just commented on this on German television: "This must be British humour."

Utterly ridiculous. Right now, Schwarzkopf is obviously back again the result list, but it's totally unclear if she has won a medal and if yes, which one. What a farce!

Mo Farah - Olympic Champion in the men's 10,000 metres! An unbelievable Saturday for the British team. They now are clearly third on the medal table, with a total of 12 gold medals!

Correction: 13 gold medals, I lose track already. ;)

And now it's official, after all that confusion and embarrasment for the judges - Lilli Schwarzkopf won silver behind Jessica Ennis. An incredible achievement, and thank God that Germany won at least one medal on this "super Saturday" with so many medal events.

What an amazing day for British sport and London 2012 - the hosts have had a day to remember. Congrats UK!

Correction: 13 gold medals, I lose track already. ;)

I believe it to be 14 now. I think the British team are laying the gauntlet down to Russia - catch us if you can. Never believed the UK could out medal the Russians (or I should say, obtain more golds) but it seems likely more and more.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

And I have to correct myself again: Great Britain has won 14 gold medals so far. As I said, I completely lose track with so many gold medals. ;) Superb achievement so far anyway, and it's amazing that so many British athletes withstand the enormous pressure to win in front of their home audience. German athletes can tell a thing or two about becoming nervous wrecks as soon as they have to compete at the Olympics - even if the Games aren't in front of their home audience. The German swimmers are best proof for that, they haven't won just a single Olympic medal this time around, for the first time since 1932! :( :( :(

Brilliant night for British Athletics - and brilliant day for Team GB - not sure what our record is for Golds in a day but I'll take six.

A few more chances to come in the week, mainly in the field events - would love to see some more Greg Rutherford moments with people exceeding expectations to grab Gold. Mo is probably our best chance on the track if he goes ahead and runs in the 5000m.

Not so confident about Dai Greene after tonights semi-finals - talking of which really not liking the current format for most events of heats, three semi-finals (with top two + two fastest into final) and then the final (with no lane 1!).

I believe it to be 14 now. I think the British team are laying the gauntlet down to Russia - catch us if you can. Never believed the UK could out medal the Russians (or I should say, obtain more golds) but it seems likely more and more.

Russia is incredibly unsuccessful in reaching out for the gold medals so far. They have 28 medals now, with Great Britain having 29, but they mostly won silver and bronze medals and only three gold medals. But with all the events in athletics, gymnastics, wrestling and synchronised swimming still to come, the Russians will certainly pick up several additional gold medals.

Ukraine has issued a protest against the heptathlon results - and they are now claiming that Lilli Schwarzkopf stepped on her track's line as well. That's clearly not true, as can be seen in the TV pictures. What a farce. I hate sports events that are decided at the judges' table.

Russia is incredibly unsuccessful in reaching out for the gold medals so far. They have 28 medals now, with Great Britain having 29, but they mostly won silver and bronze medals and only three gold medals. But with all the events in athletics, gymnastics, wrestling and synchronised swimming still to come, the Russians will certainly pick up several additional gold medals.

That is true, especially in wrestling. But the British still have sailing, cycling, gymnastics, open water swimming more athletics and triathlon. I really think Russia will need to start moving up the table rapidly over the next day or 2.

Edited by Michelle