BBC Host Broadcaster Olympic Coverage 2012

I have a quite a few BBC Radio Five Live bits & bobs re: London2012.

If you're interested, please PM me.

Cheers

John

Sent you a message regarding the Radio Five Live bits - but your inbox is full.

Am intersted in getting them off you.

Cheers

Micheal

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watching the Bafta:s last night Channel four snatched the live sport event award beating the Olympic opening ceremony and super Saturday, it was a big surprise, but a very tough choice to have to make,
With the Opening opening ceremony not winning the Audience award either it meant the BBC won nothing for there Olympic coverage,

I feel Channel four had better indents like there old ford lock canal boat intro, and better photography
Of London. and I would have nominated the Olympic closing ceremony not the Opening.

But Over all though a well deserved win for the greatest ever Paralympics .

Watching the Bafta:s last night Channel four snatched the live sport event award beating the Olympic opening ceremony and super Saturday, it was a big surprise, but a very tough choice to have to make,

But Over all though a well deserved win for the greatest ever Paralympics .

Yes, it would be a tough choice, but I reckon I agree with the decision. Channel 4 had to pretty much reinvent Paralympic coverage, and one impressive thing was the way they learned lessons very quickly. You could see them improving (and expanding) day by day.

I think the BBC have had it tough when it comes to awards for their coverage. They were robbed by the IOC, while recognition here seems to have gone directly to Danny Boyle for the Opening Ceremony (rather than the BBC broadcast of it) while at the National Television Awards they created a special award which they handed to Team GB, meaning the people in television who bought the country the games got nothing. And now at the BAFTAs they missed out on the audience award to Game of Thrones and on the Live events award to the Paralympics, while Claire Balding got a special recognition award - which although she was superb during London 2012, she was just a small part of a very big team when it comes to the Olympics.

• 3 months later...

You've seen the BBC Sherlock, Benedict Cumberbatch, intro the BBC coverage start of the Opening Ceremony. This is a more of a fuller one with Gary Linecker and Sue Barker previewing the Olympics with an interview with Michael Johnson and Sir Steven Redgrave. Not to mention Huw Edwards explaining the lush, green English countryside transforming into something bigger and the bell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1McuwMtRw

Because I was on the streets of London during the marathons ,I didn’t see how they came over on TV
However I just watched the men’s marathon on the final day, and the TV coverage was fantastic,

The atmosphere was incredible on the streets, and this really came over in the broadcast, the shots were really well chosen ,and it looked great,

much better than the BBCs coverage of the annual London marathon
Which looks like it was shot by people who don’t even know what city there in.

If the Netherlands did the Olympic Marathon coverage they did very well.

much better than the BBCs coverage of the annual London marathon

Which looks like it was shot by people who don’t even know what city there in.

If the Netherlands did the Olympic Marathon coverage they did very well.

To be fair- the Olympic marathon course, unlike the London Marathon, was confined to the city centre, with repeated 8-mile laps.

It’s the over all sensibility of the Olympic coverage that’s is better,

Iv seen the elite athletes run past big Ben in the London ,marathon without the BBC
Even Showing where they are.

My only criticism of the Olympic marathon was the route, not using the strand
The strand was closed to traffic but not part of the route,
I also thought the turning point at the tower of London should have been on Tower bridge,
But none of this Is the fault of the broadcaster

It was a novel route possibly a bit to centred around the square mile,
But the broadcaster handled it very well.

My only criticism of the Olympic marathon was the route, not using the strand

The strand was closed to traffic but not part of the route,

I also thought the turning point at the tower of London should have been on Tower bridge,

But none of this Is the fault of the broadcaster

It was a novel route possibly a bit to centred around the square mile,

But the broadcaster handled it very well.

I wonder if the route planners made a conscious decision to benefit from the cooling effect of the river and the trees on the Embankment? Problem with Tower Bridge as a turning point is that the norrthern approach road is over 200 metres long, which would have to be run in both directions on each lap- slightly tedious.

As for the focus on The City, I felt it was fair enough, given that other areas (Greenwich, Hyde Park, Horse Guards etc.) were the focus of other events.

Archived