London or Britain Olympic bid after 2012

sebbyb

I keep getting told that an Olympics won't happen again in my lifetime.

As a 20 year old who has plans on living to round 80, I think there is a chance of another Olympics before I die.

As for Birmingham or another British city hosting it before London again, I think the chances are very slim. I don't see Birmingham and Manchester as major cities and they are not well known enough.

The closest host city I expect in the closeish future is of course Paris, however perhaps Dublin would have a chance once the debt crisis has blown over?

Edinburgh or Glasgow may also have a chance of winning perhaps?

Another point - the likely hook of Britain hosting another Olympics is smaller with the rise of Asian countries and cities.

As we have seen with the Qatar World Cup - despite the country being a stupid choice, money has spoken.

I'd expect Tokyo to win 2020, Paris 2024, and 2028 to return to Asia.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be extremely suprised if the US makes it through the 2020's without hosting.

After 1996 and 2002, I had quite a negative mindset about the US and the Olympic Games, but I feel quite excited about the notion of a big American Olympiad in the 2020's. I feel, despite Los Angeles 1984 and Atlanta 1996 (and their respective handicaps), USA 2024 could be the USA's big "National Olympiad" - a response to what old rivals Beijing and London have put on the table. Thats why I feel the next US candidate should be NYC or Washington DC. Dallas just has the feeling of another Atlanta.

Canada won a record 14 gold most ever by a nation and its best 26 medals in Vancouver, more then what GB has won at all Winter Olympics combined.

You're pushing for Toronto 2024 and Canada has yet to win a gold medal in London, yet you criticize team GB's athletic performance? Those who live in glass houses.....

You're pushing for Toronto 2024 and Canada has yet to win a gold medal in London, yet you criticize team GB's athletic performance? Those who live in glass houses.....

It is in the top 12 overall which is respectable and the country's goal. Top 8 in Rio. GB's winter performance is not comparable to the Summer performance of Canada. I don't know why you don't understand English but my point is clear and you keep refusing it.

Bypassing the USA for Paris and another Asian host? What message does that send to the US?

I think Chicago going out in the first round of bidding sends a loud message.

There have never been more cities around the world capable of hosting an Olympics and world power is shifting to the west.

I'd expect a Singapore or Hong Kong before another USA city.

Chicago going out in the first round was BEFORE the revenue agreement that finally the IOC/USOC has recently agreed to, which were causing the sour relations between the 2 organizations. If a strong U.S. bid came forth for a subsequent Olympic race, I would not expect such an early exit next time around. Such a move would only backtrack any progress the 2 parties have gained any ground on,

N Singapore, nor Hong Kong, are hosting any Olympic Games anytime soon. Too tight spaces to add that much more congestion into these already dense populated cities. I'd say Shanghai, or even Guangzhou, before any of the former two.

It is in the top 12 overall which is respectable and the country's goal. Top 8 in Rio. GB's winter performance is not comparable to the Summer performance of Canada. I don't know why you don't understand English but my point is clear and you keep refusing it.

I think the point Athensfan is making is that your mantra with Toronto (which you've used in other threads) is the same that was deployed during their 2008 Olympic bid: Give us the Games because our athletes need it. So for other countries you project the notion that they should bring themselves up to an acceptable standard, then host... but a different set of rules apply for Canada? Why do Canadian athletes deserve an entire Summer Olympiad dedicated to them to benefit from infrastructure? I know there are lots of expensive venues in Montreal from less than 40 years ago that could use a scrub and still be world class. Thats why I never brought the Toronto "for our athletes" argument.

This same attitude shone through with the COA's "own the podium" campaign in 2010, which was read by other countries as quite nationalist and unsportsmanlike.

I'd question the need for Britain to even think about bidding again. In addition to the various events London is bidding for already mentioned, there's the Commonwealth Games upcoming (and probably another in the next 14 years), there's the Scotland/Wales/ Ireland Euro 2020 bid and England would probably be a solid bet for the centennial World Cup in 2030. Altogether, Britain is pretty much going to be awash in international events for the next two decades plus.

Even though they're similar in terms of scale, the Commonwealth Games really outstrip the Pan-Ams in terms of media and public interest. Which gives Britain an inherent step up on the US in this arena... the only things that would move the needle here are the Olympics or a World Cup, both of which are at least somewhat questionable within the next 20 years.

Also, YES YES YES to a Winter Games in Scotland!

Well ticket sales have gone mad after Super Saturday in London as everyone wants a piece of history.

25million hits on the London2012 website

2million people applying on average for each of the remaining sessions

Even the most expensive tickets at £725 are going in a couple of minutes with some overseas Olympic committees selling out despite a 20% mark up

the response from the IOC about support for every competitor for every nation has been a huge 'Wow' bordering on disbelief as its occuring even in the first set of heats so despite the initial problems caused by national committees not using their tickets properly I think support for the games is something that the IOC may regard as being more important in future than it is now.

I think the point Athensfan is making is that your mantra with Toronto (which you've used in other threads) is the same that was deployed during their 2008 Olympic bid: Give us the Games because our athletes need it. So for other countries you project the notion that they should bring themselves up to an acceptable standard, then host... but a different set of rules apply for Canada? Why do Canadian athletes deserve an entire Summer Olympiad dedicated to them to benefit from infrastructure? I know there are lots of expensive venues in Montreal from less than 40 years ago that could use a scrub and still be world class. Thats why I never brought the Toronto "for our athletes" argument.

This same attitude shone through with the COA's "own the podium" campaign in 2010, which was read by other countries as quite nationalist and unsportsmanlike.

Its more of a mix. The Pan Am Games are bringing a pool and a track facility. The other equipment like the gymnastics facility will be donated possibly to the community. With the Olympics comes infrastructure like transportation. Toronto's gridlock and transportation is the worst in the Western Hemisphere. Pains me to say that but that's the fact. The Olympics are used to project a country to never seen before levels from before. Would Canada have won 14 gold in another city? Unlikely. With the Olympics comes increased funding and legacy for sport in a country, and without Vancouver for Winter sports Canada would never be up there. As for the Summer Games, Canada is in a respectable 11th atm in total medals which is nice but the Olympics in 2024 or whenever can be a catalyst for the country to approach the top 5.

Just like Australia in 2000, they have maintained their standing after hosting.

I think the problem here is people look at lists of previous host cities and draw their own conclusions as to what could happen (particularly with their own city) without thinking critically about the history at play on the list. Often civic pride gets in the way of any common sense.

Asking when a country can apply next is part of the post Olympic depression. Very usual phenomenon. I think we can find a similar thread for the US or Canada after SLC or Vancouver.

Asking when a country can apply next is part of the post Olympic depression. Very usual phenomenon. I think we can find a similar thread for the US or Canada after SLC or Vancouver.

It is understandable, as there is the 7 year build up, and even longer if you include the bidding process, and then to have it all suddenly stop. It defines a city so much in the build up, and then suddenly its all over. I don't think Australia really was too serious about another Olympics, there have been a few murmurs here and there half heartedly in the media concerning Melbourne or Brisbane, but generally people are pretty accepting of the fact we did well with the 2000 Olympics. I think the UK will be the same.

As for post Olympic depression, nothing evokes it more for Sydney than the NSW state number plates from the mid 1990's:

220px-NSWTowards2000NumberPate.jpg

In fact, there was a lot of criticism that the former NSW State Government didn't capitalise on the Olympics success enough (while Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth boomed last decade), and at one of the state elections the slogan "NSW: BEYOND 2000?" was thrown around a fair bit. :D

I think intoronto1125 was remarking that Britain's WINTER sports tradition is a bit weak. They only get one or two medals each cycle.

But there can be no doubt they have hosted and performed magnificently at the London 2012 Games.

However, I don't think there can ever be an Olympic Winter Games in the United Kingdom. The snow is just too unreliable.

As for the question of the thread...a 4th Olympiad in the UK (and quite honestly, we're probably talking about London again) - I think it is inevitable, but I don't think I'll be alive to see it. Too many other countries and cities want the Games to justify the UK hosting again within the next 40-50 years. There were 15 Olympiads hosted between 1948 and 2012, each by 15 different cities and the only repeat countries on that list were the USA and Australia. I'm sure we could all come up with 15 different cities that could (and would like to) host the Olympics.

I don't think you can find a location where you can have the downhill (vertical drop higher than 800 m). There is your showstopper. Remember that South Korea has only found one possible spot in the whole country.

i would like to see a british winter games one day honestly

also it good to point out that the us had two olymips games in 8 years, atlanta in 1996 and salt lake in 2002. so i really don't see a problem in another european olympic games in a span of 8 years

*olympic

I don't think Australia really was too serious about another Olympics, there have been a few murmurs here and there half heartedly in the media concerning Melbourne or Brisbane, but generally people are pretty accepting of the fact we did well with the 2000 Olympics. I think the UK will be the same.

Yeh, I get the same feel, of course there are individual cities in Australia (Brisbane/Melbourne) who may push for a bid - but I think the overall national feel is that it's not time for another OG quite yet.

As for London and the UK, we'll be the same, it's looking like L2012 will have been a very successful games and it will be a very long time before anyone even thinks about having another Olympics in the UK. Next on our list is the World Cup - since we should have won 2018 if it wasn't for bribery and corruption......not at all bitter ;)

I think intoronto1125 was remarking that Britain's WINTER sports tradition is a bit weak. They only get one or two medals each cycle.

But there can be no doubt they have hosted and performed magnificently at the London 2012 Games.

However, I don't think there can ever be an Olympic Winter Games in the United Kingdom. The snow is just too unreliable.

As for the question of the thread...a 4th Olympiad in the UK (and quite honestly, we're probably talking about London again) - I think it is inevitable, but I don't think I'll be alive to see it. Too many other countries and cities want the Games to justify the UK hosting again within the next 40-50 years. There were 15 Olympiads hosted between 1948 and 2012, each by 15 different cities and the only repeat countries on that list were the USA and Australia. I'm sure we could all come up with 15 different cities that could (and would like to) host the Olympics.

Off course I meant Winter lol. The snow was unreliable in Vancouver too so IDK.

From a UK perspective, I don't think there is any demand or intention to host a winter Olympics at all.

It would only be possible in Scotland, no idea where but I think there are a few ski places.

There just isn't any interest and I think the WO should be given to a more famous/popular sports location.

And to be fair...the snow for the 2010 Winter Games was really only unreliable at one venue...Cypress Mountain. Which is part of the municipality of West Vancouver (across the Lions Gate Bridge from Vancouver). There was never an issue with snow in Whistler. Cypress was a well known risk, but VANOC wanted to stage events there instead of on Whistler or on Blackcomb so they would be closer to Vancouver. Without Whistler in the mix, the City of Vancouver and surrounding area would have never have hosted the Winter Games.

As for Winter Games in the UK...unless we get an Ice Age, I don't see it happening. The downhill ski hill and snow for cross country skiing and other snow events would kill it before it got out of the gate.

And quite frankly, I think after London 2012, the UK's sporting focus will turn to the 2018 Glasgow Commonwealth Games and future Euro and FIFA World Cup bids before serious consideration is given again to entertaining the IOC.

Archived