Queen Elizabeth's facial expressions during the Opening Ceremony...

So since the Opening Ceremony, we've seen a lot of these memes of the Queen's bored facial expressions...

382530_10150974268861840_1312405217_n.jpg

Some have said it's because....

1) She was bored by the show, or was disappointed.

2) She regretted being in the 007 video, which was her introduction video.

3) She was tired...I'm sure it's well past her bedtime, despite the best of preparations to prepare her for a late-nighter. The Ceremony went on until 1 am.

4) More likely, in my opinion, maybe it had to do with how Boyle & Coe took 30-MINUTES to introduce the head of state of Great Britain and the Commonwealth? That's a tad disrespectful, although I'm sure she was in a room inside the stadium watching the show from the tele. The head of state was introduced within the first 10-minutes or so in Vancouver, Beijing, Torino, Athens, Salt Lake, Sydney....well, with Beijing and Torino they introduced their heads of state before the Ceremony actually started.

I remember when they announced the entry of british athletes in the parade and when the camera showed the Queen, she was distracted with her nails. It seems she was not enjoying the ceremony. Not a single smile!

Don't think so, she already had that face when she entered the stadium.

Which makes me think she was either tired (it was around 9.30 pm London time I think) or more likely, she felt insulted that they waited a whole 30 minutes to introduce her...

Somehow rather I don't think she was told about the Helicopter bit at the end - and was NOT amused!!! I gotta feeling she is unwell and not letting on...She really does look haggard and exhusted...It's been a full on year for her so far...she nearly lost her husband...And you have to remember The Queen is 14 years shy of 100!

I wonder if a camera caught your face at a random moment during a four hour show whether you'd come across particularly well. She probably was a bit tired, given her age.

Please, I don't think she was insulted by anything, and I don't think she's ill. Are we really going to overanalyse a 3-second cutaway of the Queen? I know what this forum's like but that's a bit much.

Anyway, she made an appearance at the swimming session the next morning, which I thought was really good of her. She didn't have to do that and she got a good cheer from the crowd. If she was pissed off or ill she'd have stayed in bed with a cup of tea instead,

She's 86. Somehow I don't think the pounding music she'd been sitting through for hours was really her kind of thing! Give her a break!

Frankly I was a bit disappointed by her appearance. She looked glum and unsmiling all the time. Yes, she is 86 and I'm sure she was tired and a bit bored but she should not have let herself show this. The way she declared the Games open in such a bored. monotonous voice without even a hint of a smile suggested to me that she lacked the sense of occasion that everyone else in the stadium was feeling. She gave the impression that she was there only under sufferance and couldn't wait to get away. Normally she is a consummate professional so I was rather taken aback and surprised by this.

Maybe it would have been better if she had pulled a sickie and let Charles or William do the honours. At her age, and in the aftermath of all the jubilee hoopla, I'm sure no-one would have blamed her and I'm sure Charles or William would have revelled in the attention and entered more into the spirit of the occasion. They would still have been representing her anyway.

Frankly I was a bit disappointed by her appearance. She looked glum and unsmiling all the time. Yes, she is 86 and I'm sure she was tired and a bit bored but she should not have let herself show this. The way she declared the Games open in such a bored. monotonous voice without even a hint of a smile suggested to me that she lacked the sense of occasion that everyone else in the stadium was feeling. She gave the impression that she was there only under sufferance and couldn't wait to get away. Normally she is a consummate professional so I was rather taken aback and surprised by this.

Maybe it would have been better if she had pulled a sickie and let Charles or William do the honours. At her age, and in the aftermath of all the jubilee hoopla, I'm sure no-one would have blamed her and I'm sure Charles or William would have revelled in the attention and entered more into the spirit of the occasion. They would still have been representing her anyway.

I agree. She KNOWS that the show is being telecast globally. Or the Palace should at least have had a vetting person in the World Feed booth to OK the appropriate shots or not. That's what the situation should've been.

Apart from the hilarious James Bond clip, I was a bit underwhelmed by how little attention they paid to the Queen. They showed her pretty rarely during the broadcast and somehow I had expected that there would be some reference to her Diamond Jubilee somewhere in the ceremony. Also the way they staged her actual entrance in the stadium looked a bit anti-climatic and amateurish. No pomp, even the fanfare was a bit lacklustre. I thought her entrance at the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games' opening ceremony was far more impressive and majestic, with that grand fanfare when her limousine drove through the gate and around the track.

Hopefully they'll do it differently at the Paralympic opening ceremony (I don't expect her to attend the Olympic closing ceremony).

Funny enough, if you watch the Montreal 1976 ceremony, she looked much more dignified and interested.

Of course, that was a daytime ceremony, a shorter parade and ceremony, with much less chaos on the stage, and she was only 50. But she did stand at attention on her dais and greeted each delegation as they entered Stade Olympique.

But yeah, cut her some slack. She is 86 with a camera on her all day and it must have been a long day for her.

Either which way...The Queen is still pretty cool in my books...For the last few months we have been seeing films and pictures of her reign...especially of her when she was a 'Stonking Hotty' twenty something, she is now 86...She's earned her right to do what she pleases nowadays.

Please, I don't think she was insulted by anything, and I don't think she's ill. Are we really going to overanalyse a 3-second cutaway of the Queen? I know what this forum's like but that's a bit much.

yeah, you really do.

if this was the USA thread the conversation would now be: 'i didn't say that you said i though you said the queen looked bored, i said that i thought you thought i said you thought the queen looked bored, but i was waiting until we had more information. jeez.'

Archived