Encounters & Sightings at Olympic Park & Venues

kevzz

Spent a whole day from morning to night at the Olympic Park yesterday. Here's some observation of random things that happened in the Park:

- Early morning there's a band fan fare marching from Aquatics bridge northwards. Hoards of visitors following them behind. Great start to the first morning of the Games.

8ea295ea.jpg

381ef462.jpg

- Lots of children like to play makeshift hop-scotch on the coloured dots bridge. Quite cute to see.

- Look out for groups of actors in red tshirt scattered around the Park. Performing random comedy skits which some involves audience participation eg asking you to do a Chariots of Fire style slo-mo when approaching the rubbish bin to chuck something. Hilarious to watch and good fun

8f56042f.jpg

- Do visit the Park Live sites to rest and watch some live action on the big screen. Great atmosphere too and the give out free union jack mat.

20bddc58.jpg

- The fish and chips are the best food I've tasted so far. And the Pimms too!! Though the small portion is tiny and the large one is a normal pint size. There's a southern fried chicken stall too at the world village next to the Mega Store. Not bad with coleslaw and some nice cherry tomatoes salad.

- And compliments to the extremely helpful volunteers who even explain to us at the fish and chips condiments counter which is the ketchup, mayo, brown sauce and vinegar is. Great stuff to make sure we have the right condiments for the right food!

- McDonalds staff are brilliant, work like a machine and the staff in the kitchen are like robot. Super efficient n fast moving queues.

Great stuff, can't wait till I go down on Tues/Wed - is there any opportunities to turn up to a venue and pick up a late ticket through resale for all those empty seats we've been told about :rolleyes: - actually most of the venues I've watched on TV seem to be 90% full, so I think the media are overstating it a little. Still you would ideally want a full crowd especially when lots of people missed out on the original ballot.

Great stuff, can't wait till I go down on Tues/Wed - is there any opportunities to turn up to a venue and pick up a late ticket through resale for all those empty seats we've been told about :rolleyes:

If you are lucky, you may be able to score free tickets from the volunteers. What happened in Vancouver, for some of the early preliminary games, they were handing free tickets to women's hockey games and other events to completely fill the bleachers for TV purposes. My dad and I were lucky enough to score free tickets to a medal ceremony in BC Place. We just happened to be walking by BC Place when one of the blue jackets asked if we wanted to go and he handed us free tickets! They were valued at $20 each.

Pretty early. If you have a ticket for any session you'll be able to get into the park as soon as it opens that day. I reckon you'll be able to get in 8ish.

Anyway, my experiences briefly so far:

• The live sites are great. Big screen, lots of sport, what's not to like? And they have sing-a-longs and show the crowds on the screens too.
  • The Park is beautiful.
  • The food is very nice (I had fish and chips too) but predictably pricey
  • The Orbit affords great views over London, and has some weird mirrors inside which turn the skyline upside-down. Still not convinced by it, but just thought I'd point out I've been up it now.
  • Those Coke guys you mention must want to shoot themselves. They wander round the Park in packs singing the Coke jingle while dancing....awful. I wonder how much Coca Cola are paying these poor souls?
  • Bring a brolly and a raincoat. There's not much shelter.

The Park is huge. From Velodrome to Aquatics will take a good 30 mins walk or more.

And the Orbit is very underwhelming when up close around the base. Actually after a while you tend not to notice the Orbit at all from anywhere in the Park. You almost forget this structure exist. Is it just me?

Archived