Field Hockey at the 2012 Summer Olympics

I don't always agree with Dannyel... but no **** that warm countries won't do as well in the Winter Olympics as temperate countries. It doesn't devalue the Winter Olympics but not recognizing that African, Latin American, warmer Asian and Oceanic countries have a huge, huge, huge disadvantage is silly. Part of it is cultural (especially with countries like Chile, Iran and India) but most of it comes down to the lack of snow and, well, obviously winter sports will hardly be part of the culture in a warm country.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's my point...

Also, 33 countries already won medals in Winter Olympics...

33 out of 205...

With few exceptions, most of them have "true" winters and places to practice those sports.

Winter Olympic Games are cool ( :P ) and very fun...

But, it's ridiculous to claim Canada is better than Brazil because they won 14 golds in Sports we even know they exist!!!

That's my point...

Also, 33 countries already won medals in Winter Olympics...

33 out of 205...

With few exceptions, most of them have "true" winters and places to practice those sports.

Winter Olympic Games are cool ( :P ) and very fun...

But, it's ridiculous to claim Canada is better than Brazil because they won 14 golds in Sports we even know they exist!!!

Two things I will say to defend his point, though. The first is that winter sports do very much affect Canada's standing in world sport (to what extend is debatable, but still) and secondly that a /lot/ of Canadian athletes end up gravitating towards winter sports, which definitively affects out performance in summer sports.

But doing a straight medal for medal comparison with a South American country... ya, no. Then again, straight medal for medal comparaisons are usually a bit silly, as much as we all love them.

We know very clearly who made us poorer...

But besides your idiotic vision of the development of the nations, Africa and South America have not many places to play winter sports...

My point is: Winter games are cool, great and fun.

Just don't claim results of this over tropical countries... WE DON'T HAVE SNOW HERE, CARALHO!

Don't be STUPID!

You don't understand my point. I am not comparing any nation that is good with winter sports with some that are not. I am talking about the development of them in the poorer and tropical world. Australia has no snow yet they win medals. How does GB do it? They have no snow and win medals. Its called having an arena to practice and the will to spend money on these sports. Brazil does not and that is why they don't win. If Brazil spent the same as Australia on winter sports and sent its athletes around the world I wouldn't be surprised to see them winning a medal, in fact any tropical country.

The nearest winter places to a British athlete practice is Italy, Switzerland, Germany...

The nearest winters place to a Brazilian athlete practice is USA, Canada or... Italy, Switzerland, Germany...

Forget Argentina and Chile.

Besides that, we have much more things to waste our money than Winter Sports...

Maybe some Brazilian win some medal someday...

But, it's ridiculous to say Brazil MUST have athletes or medals in Winter Sports.

And more, we hate even to wear a simple Raincoat, imagine to make Brazilians addicted to Winter Sports...

----

Again, I do think it's really cool do Canada be proud of their winter athletes. You must. This is relevant for you guys, you have winter most part of the year - It's your culture! Celebrate it!

The nearest winter places to a British athlete practice is Italy, Switzerland, Germany...

The nearest winters place to a Brazilian athlete practice is USA, Canada or... Italy, Switzerland, Germany...

But, it's ridiculous to say Brazil MUST have athletes or medals in Winter Sports.

And more, we hate even to wear a simple Raincoat, imagine to make Brazilians addicted to Winter Sports...

----

Again, I do think it's really cool do Canada be proud of their winter athletes. You must. This is relevant for you guys, you have winter most part of the year - It's your culture! Celebrate it!

----

I never said it is a must for them. I said IF they take the initiative they will excel. However if they don't care they will be stuck with wildcards with no hope at all.

GOLD for Germany!!! Fantastic, and it sure gives the mediocre gold tally of Team Germany a bit of polish, since there's no medal chance left for Germany on the final day of competition tomorrow.

Sorry, we still have a medal chance tomorrow, namely Lena Schöneborn in the women's modern pentathlon, Olympic Champion of 2008.

Final medal results for men's field hockey:

- GOLD: Germany

- SILVER: Netherlands

- BRONZE: Australia

Link 1: http://www.london2012.com/hockey/event/men/match=hom400101/index.html

Link 2: http://www.london2012.com/hockey/event/men/match=hom400102/index.html

gm-lgflag.gif

Archived