• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SI was so wrong about Brazil...

Actually they were right, our athletes that decided to lose LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS of won matches just to troll SI. :P

You could have 18 medals and only 1 gold.

This would be called "Canada"

;)

Well, a couple of situations here.

First, the top medaled countries that have NOT hosted any Olympic Games yet:

1. Hungary (ranked 8th)

2. Kazakhstan (ranked 12th)

3. Ukraine (ranked 14th)

4. Cuba (ranked 15th)

5. New Zealand (ranked 16th)

Second, the lowest medalled countries that HAVE hosted an Olympic Games in the past:

1. Greece (ranked tied for 75th place with 3 other countries) -> hosted 1896 and 2004

2 and 3. Finland and Belgium (ranked tied for 60th place with one other country) -> hosted 1952 and 1920 respectively.

4. Mexico (ranked tied for 39th place with one other country) -> hosted 1968

5. Sweden (ranked 37th) -> hosted 1912.

Is this Russia's worst performance ever?

(In terms of ranking in the medal table)

I think it is the first time they have finished as low as 4th in gold medals won since the end of the Soviet Union. But don't forget they still placed 3rd in total medals won (82 to 65 for GB).

Imagination can lead to anything

I'm a bit realistic guy, since child... And at that time, Brazil was so messy that not even the most optmistic guy in the country could ever imagine how far we achieve by now...

Specially about lending money and funding the IMF and hosting Olympic Games.

If I could travel the time and say this to the Brazilians of 1980s they would never believe.

Gee Michael...I've got some better words to describe what I think of Belarussia right now...The IOC will probibly put the whole team under the spotlight. You are still left wondering about those ex Soviet puppet states.

Gee Michael...I've got some better words to describe what I think of Belarussia right now...The IOC will probibly put the whole team under the spotlight. You are still left wondering about those ex Soviet puppet states.

Yes am very happy for Valerie but disappointed that her moment was taken away from her by a cheat. I did wonder about the Belarussian competitors rapid improvement in form in the weeks leading up to the games... Was too good to be true obviously!

Go Val and go Kiwis.

Apparently Jacque Roggie had been informed just before the Closing Ceremony, hence the downcast voice and body language...And the fact they needed to keep the lid on it so, rightfully, not to spoil the Cermonies.

Apparently Jacque Roggie had been informed just before the Closing Ceremony, hence the downcast voice and body language...And the fact they needed to keep the lid on it so, rightfully, not to spoil the Cermonies.

Thats interesting where did you hear that from?

I don't think the suggestion that Chinese athletes shouldn't compete with American ones because of the latters' " bigger heads and chests" was particularly helpful. How are they going to avoid competing with them if they wish to take part in future Olympics? :wacko:

Maybe they should start a breeding programme for future Chinese Olympians with bigger heads and chests! ;)

I wondered how long it would take for the Piefke (German) Press to have a laugh at Austria's big juicy null points in the medal tally.

http://www.stern.de/sport/olympische-spiele-oesterreichs-albtraum-hirnschmalz-debatte-1877408.html

It's in German but basically says the London Olympics were a nightmare for Austria and they are racking their brains to figure out what to do about it, as well as praying for Winter to come early, so they can get back to Alpine sports.

What makes it worse is that the other ex Hapsburg lands did rather better. Hungary, which Austria likes to see as her own flat peppery piece of real estate, spends less money sending over a team, and wins a load of metal. That hurts.

I understand what the Chinese are saying because in certain sports, height and muscle bulk DO make the difference. In Rowing for example, the longer limbs of Caucasians, GENERALLY, make for lesser/fuller # of strokes vs. those of smaller stature people. However, the Chinese have packed several sports (e.g., Table Tennis, Badminton, Diving, Gymnastics) which benefit from the average Asian stature. So, it really averages out.

The Team GB medals table by university

http://www.podium.ac...he-medals-table

Edinburgh topped the table with three golds (I'm pleased to say - it's my alma mater)

From the University of Edinburgh website:

Hopes were high before the start of the London Olympics, but here at the University, we could not have anticipated just how well our Edinburgh Olympians would perform.

Team GB triumphantly came third in the final medal table; but we were particularly pleased with this alternative ‘University and College Medal Table’ which saw the University of Edinburgh in poll position with 3 gold medals.

Jim Aitken, the Director of Sport at the University was delighted by the part Edinburgh played in these Olympics.

Hosting the GB volleyball and swimming teams was really a testament to the world-class facilities we have at the University. But my personal highlight has to be seeing alum Sir Chris Hoy maintain his competitive aura to become GB’s most decorated Olympian.

The University community certainly got behind its athletes. More than 100 University staff gathered at the Pleasance, along with STV camera crews, to cheer graduate Katherine Grainger on as she rowed home for gold. Katherine of course, only started rowing as a student here at the University, a testament indeed to the potential of University sport.

• 5 weeks later...

WADA says London medal count is a sign of clean Olympics

The director general of the World Anti-Doping Agency believes the number of nations that won medals at the London Olympics shows that efforts to fight doping are working.

At a conference Friday in Stockholm, David Howman said anti-doping campaigns have allowed "clean" nations like his native New Zealand to win medals "because it actually gets rid of the cheats who might have otherwise precluded countries like New Zealand from getting them."

New Zealand won 13 medals, tying its best total from 1988.

"If you look at the other podium finishes from London you will find a far greater spread of countries than you would have in 1984, 1980, 1976, and I think that's a really strong indication that anti-doping has had an impact," Howman said.

In London, 30 nations won 10 medals or more. Only 12 nations won at least 10 medals at the 1980 Moscow Games, which were dominated by the former Soviet Union and East Germany, and boycotted by the U.S. and dozens of other nations.

Howman spoke at conference on doping from a public health perspective organized by Arne Ljungqvist, the chairman of the International Olympic Committee's medical commission.

"To me this is a first attempt to highlight this matter as a public health issue, because in my view it is," Ljungqvist said.

Anti-doping efforts have primarily been focused on fighting cheating among top athletes. Panelists at the conference said it was time to also shine the light on how performance-enhancing drugs affect public health.

"If we believe that around 3 percent of high school boys in the U.S. are taking some kind of steroid or growth hormone, that's a public health issue," said Tim Armstrong, an official at the World Health Organization.

AP

http://sportsillustr...g.ap/index.html

Archived