Brazil, best total count ever - Already 16 medals guaranteed!

Four finals tomorrow and still a semifinal in boxe tonight!

Amazing!!!

PS: And we have a good marathonist for the last day.. Just hope that stupid irish father don't come to stop us again.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I hope that Canada does win, at least, one more gold medal somewhere. Or else, the Canadian team is going to experience what Great Britain had to go through at Atlanta 1996.

Well, I hope that Canada does win, at least, one more gold medal somewhere. Or else, the Canadian team is going to experience what Great Britain had to go through at Atlanta 1996.

but sometimes you need to hit bottom before thinking "hey, this has to change" and actually have people do something about it.

People are talking about home advantage but look at the steady improvement from Sydney to Atlanta to Beijing to London, and to be candid, a number of contenders we've had have underachieved in certain sports. Come Rio and we already have the next generation knocking on the door.

If Canada want to do something for Toronto 2024 it needs to start now ......

but sometimes you need to hit bottom before thinking "hey, this has to change" and actually have people do something about it.

People are talking about home advantage but look at the steady improvement from Sydney to Atlanta to Beijing to London, and to be candid, a number of contenders we've had have underachieved in certain sports. Come Rio and we already have the next generation knocking on the door.

And, that is a very big IF, for Toronto to wanting to bid, never mind win, 2024.

Literally two minutes ago turned my tele on, one minute later I'm pleased to report another GB Gold, this time canoe sprint. :D

Another event, another gold

If Mo can win and our boxers do well, we might be getting close to 30 golds

Yeah this is a great point, although Australia hasn't hit complete rock bottom hopefully they will pick up there game in Rio :)

Who performed worst among top 10 nations?

I would say Australia and Germany.

The german Team is so far away from expectations. The Ministry of the Interior, which is capable for sport in germany had a contract with the DOSB about how many

medals they have to win in each sport and in total. They want 86 medals in total including 28 golds.

What we have now is 10-18-11.

The positives among the Top 10 are Team GB and Hungary.

I would say Australia and Germany.

The german Team is so far away from expectations. The Ministry of the Interior, which is capable for sport in germany had a contract with the DOSB about how many medals they have to win in each sport and in total. They want 86 medals in total including 28 golds.

What we have now is 10-18-11.

Well, we've surpassed our result from Beijing and are right now 6th in the Medal Table. I'm satisfied with our results. BTW, to those 86 medals: That number was negotiated right after the Beijing games, so it was more or less just guessed. And it's the frst time that such a number was released, who knows how many medals they expected for Athens and Beijing?

Germany's not disgraced itself, but hiring that cruise ship to bring the victorious athletes home into an ecstatic Hamburg docks seems a little over-inflated given the performances.

Harting's antics are always amusing, although I wish he was a bit more anti-doping. It makes for a poor impression of him, defending East German drug cheats all the time.

Well, we've surpassed our result from Beijing and are right now 6th in the Medal Table. I'm satisfied with our results. BTW, to those 86 medals: That number was negotiated right after the Beijing games, so it was more or less just guessed. And it's the frst time that such a number was released, who knows how many medals they expected for Athens and Beijing?

No discussion about those "medal-goals". The number of 86 and 28 golds is just ridiculous. Way too high.

My problem is that many athletes didn´t reach near their personal bests and didn´t even qualify for the finals or the 2nd round.

In the end we´re among the top 5 in totals and 6th in gold. There will be a lot of talk in the next weeks and in the end........nothing will change. :rolleyes:

I suppose they set those goals high to get as much sport promotion money as possible. They knew damn well already after the recent editions of the Olympic Games that the international competition has grown stronger, so I suppose that they never really believed themselves in those medal goals. It's very telling that already before the London Games, DOSB general-secretary Michael Vesper set the 41 medals from Beijing as goal for these Games.

By the way, Daze - I live in Braunschweig myself (I just mention my native city still in my profile to give it a bit more publicity ;)). Nice to know that I'm not the only Olympic maniac in the city! ;)

I suppose they set those goals high to get as much sport promotion money as possible. They knew damn well already after the recent editions of the Olympic Games that the international competition has grown stronger, so I suppose that they never really believed themselves in those medal goals. It's very telling that already before the London Games, DOSB general-secretary Michael Vesper set the 41 medals from Beijing as goal for these Games.

By the way, Daze - I live in Braunschweig myself (I just mention my native city still in my profile to give it a bit more publicity ;)). Nice to know that I'm not the only Olympic maniac in the city! ;)

Yeah nice to know. :lol: Die Welt ist ein Dorf.

Archived