It´s truly amazing how Team GB increases their Medal count from 1 Gold in Atlanta to 24 now.

Step by step they got better and better. Respect!

That dismal and humiliating performance in Atlanta when GB finished 36th in the medal table with just 15 medals was a real wake-up call! Thankfully there has been steady improvement since then. 28 medals at Sydney (with 11 golds), 30 medals at Athens (with 9 golds) improving to 10th place in both cases. The real breakthrough, of course, was at Beijing when GB finished 4th in the table with 47 medals (19 golds). London has continued that progress magnificently. Let's hope they can maintain and even better it in Rio in 4 years time!

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well USA, you've done it. I don't see how China can possibly catch up now, in both gold and total, as the remaining events seem to favour the USA more.

Russia and Germany also looking to make a last minute surge to the top too.

Well USA, you've done it. I don't see how China can possibly catch up now, in both gold and total, as the remaining events seem to favour the USA more.

Russia and Germany also looking to make a last minute surge to the top too.

Especially when one of the events is in one of China's weaker sports, Track and Field.

Well thought this would be interesting. Out of all those bidding for 2020 including those knocked out.

Baku - Azerbaijan 2 silver and 3 bronze 46th

Doha - Qatar 2 bronze Tied 66th

Rome - Italy 7 bronze 6 silver 6 bronze 9th

Madrid - Spain 2 gold 7 silver 2 bronze 22nd

Istanbul - Turkey 1 gold 1 bronze Tied 38th

Tokyo - Japan 5 gold 14 silver 14 bronze 12th

When the AP predicted 25 gold medals for Britain before the Games, I was sceptical whether the expectations were too high. Now, with still three days of competition to go and 64 gold medals still to be won, Britain has already reached 25 gold medals. Unbelievable! Their team doesn't seem to break under the pressure, it rather seems to encourage them further. I think that with that base, Britain will still be a very strong contender at the Rio Games. But as Australia's mediocre showing this time shows: The boost given to a host nation can fizzle out after a few years.

I'm very pleased with the success of Team GB, but what's amazing is so much of the strength in Equestrian, Rowing and Cycling has been built with German expertise and in Equestrian - money! The Bechtolsheimers are the daughter and son in law of Karl Heinz Kipp, lots of money there. Jürgen Grobler is the chief coach of the rowing team, and he came from the GDR in 1990 thank you very much. Jan van Eijden (who seems like a very nice person) is the UK sprint cycling coach and 'discovered' Philip Hindes. Philip may have an English dad, but his English is so German sounding it is comical. I don't think he gave England much of a thought before he was invited to join the team.

If we look at UK athletics, the head coach is Dutch. The Australian Bill Sweetenham resurrected British swimming after Atlanta, and I think his resignation in 2007 has a lot to do with the collapse of UK swimming this year.

If there is a lesson for our European neighbours, the message is for national feds to swallow their pride and open their wallets to pay for the best coaches no matter where they come from.

When the AP predicted 25 gold medals for Britain before the Games, I was sceptical whether the expectations were too high. Now, with still three days of competition to go and 64 gold medals still to be won, Britain has already reached 25 gold medals. Unbelievable! Their team doesn't seem to break under the pressure, it rather seems to encourage them further. I think that with that base, Britain will still be a very strong contender at the Rio Games. But as Australia's mediocre showing this time shows: The boost given to a host nation can fizzle out after a few years.

Every country has there off games. Australia may have started off badly but we are looking for a top 10 finish.

Oh well, only a top 3 finish ... but hey 25 golds (so far) for a pop of 60million isn't so bad.

thats 1 gold per 2.4 million compared to USA 1 gold per 7.7million people and China 1 gold per 37million people. Even Australia can only manage 1 gold per 3.2million

Oh well, only a top 3 finish ... but hey 25 golds (so far) for a pop of 60million isn't so bad.

thats 1 gold per 2.4 million compared to USA 1 gold per 7.7million people and China 1 gold per 37million people. Even Australia can only manage 1 gold per 3.2million

Good on Great Britain, home country advantage, can't wait to see how they go in 2016. But every country has there off games, I mean Great Britain got 1 gold in 1996 and were 36th on the tally and then they just made the top 10 in 2004. Australia thrashing them by 8 gold. Same story in 2000, just scraping top 10. Actually everyone saying Australia is doing poorly in Great britain but we are doing better on the tally then Great Britain was in 2000.

So just a summary of what i said, every country has off games. Australia beating Great Britain at 2004, 2000, 1996, 1992.

Stop paying out Australia in the past we have done better then GB. I'm not paying out Great Britain, i'm paying out you and your arrogance and your dragging of this argument onto 3 seperate threads. Leave it be.

Good on Great Britain, home country advantage, can't wait to see how they go in 2016. But every country has there off games, I mean Great Britain got 1 gold in 1996 and were 36th on the tally and then they just made the top 10 in 2004. Australia thrashing them by 8 gold. Same story in 2000, just scraping top 10. Actually everyone saying Australia is doing poorly in Great britain but we are doing better on the tally then Great Britain was in 2000.

So just a summary of what i said, every country has off games. Australia beating Great Britain at 2004, 2000, 1996, 1992.

Stop paying out Australia in the past we have done better then GB. I'm not paying out Great Britain, i'm paying out you and your arrogance and your dragging of this argument onto 3 seperate threads. Leave it be.

Here's some maths

In Sydney 2000, Australia won 16 gold medals

In London 2010, Team GB have so far won 25 gold medals

25 is more than 16.

As for overall medals, and I can understand some nations trying to measure everything, we are currently on 53 and are likely to exceed the Aussie total of 58 from 2000 considering the events remaining.

Good on them! Very proud of Australia as said hundreds of times. I'm glad we went went, lucky we weren't an embarrassment like Great Britain was in 1996! 1 gold wow.

There is no point dragging this on everywhere, Great Britain are on top of Australia now yes but we are not as much of an embarrassment as 1996. So just leave it alone

we went well*

NZ swiped a Gold off GB in the Womens 470 Yacht finals today...Haaaa! :lol:

Its been a bit embarassing but we must allow other nations their small and occassional successes. Still another medal to add - 54 overall it is now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...and Barcelona had the best theme song!

That was one of OUR's. Dear old Feddie Mercury! :)

They've been a good games! Tunisia just won their first gold of the games!

Yeah! Good work Tunisia! Welcome aboard the Gold Train.

...I know its been mentioned already...But for a billion people, where the heck is India when it comes to Gold? Its such an obvious hole on the table!

That was one of OUR's. Dear old Feddie Mercury! :)

I know...Imagine what the opening ceremony would've been like if he was still with us! Sorry Paul McArtney, youd've been flowers in the dirt!...but I digress!

Archived