Kazakhastan has been the surprise of the games for me so far. Five golds including four in Weightlifting, didn't see that coming. Britain is also exceeding expectation which is always great to see out of a host. As long as Canada ( :P ) or a small delegation (a pet joy of mine is to see countries that normally don't win a lot of medals do well) isn't involved I always root for the Brits during these games and so far there have been a lot of reasons to cheer.

Also, full marks to the crowd. Even in sports (such as Volleyball) where Great Britain has little to no legacy they go nuts for British athletes. Heck, even in that men's Football quarterfinals the Welsh fans where great. I also don't think we'll ever see as good of a crowd for a cycling time trial again and I kind of want Murray to win at least one gold tomorrow just to hear the crowd's reaction at Wimbledon - they have been amazing there too.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Done Great Britain! :D

An unbelievable night on the track and field!!!!! :lol:

Fantastic to see New Zealand doing so well also. And beating Australia!

I've always thought of New Zealand as our friendly commonwealth cousins, and Australia as our commonwealth rivals, though still friendly once its finished ;)

As a Canadian, it is sort of a relief, when Canada gets its gold medal in the Olympic Games.

I can't believe Trampoline is an Olympic sport but baseball isn't. :rolleyes:

Not taking away from your Gold by any means, but I mean come on IOC, let's get it together.

Makes one wonder how and why baseball and softball really got cut from the Olympic program in the first place. All I could see is that there could have been pushing, shoving and backlashes in the process.

Baseball isn't an Olympic sport because professionals (Major Leaguers) don't play in the Olympics. It's not like basketball or hockey. It's like how Olympic soccer is structured except that it's less popular than soccer. That's why the Major Leagues came up with a sham of an international tournament known as the World Baseball Classic. That way, they could have Japan's Yu Darvish strike out Dominican Republic's David Ortiz or have the American Prince Fielder hit a home run off Canadian Ryan Dempster.

We had 14 in Vancouver thats good enough lol. And Toronto has sun from April - October

Winter Olympics does not count for comparisions with Tropical countries.

I couldnt care less about your curling and other I iced sport athletes.

Indeed because I am in Southern Brazil today, it's August winter and outside we got 29C yesterday...

Congrats for your first gold.

Happy about Canada.

PS: April-October... Only?

I would die to stay more than 15 days without sunshine...

Makes one wonder how and why baseball and softball really got cut from the Olympic program in the first place. All I could see is that there could have been pushing, shoving and backlashes in the process.

Because baseball/softball's appeal is NOT really across 6 continents. It's pretty much just North/central America, 3 East Asian countries, & maybe a token presence in Italy and 1 or 2 other Euro countries. Softball is not big with lesbians in other continents. The host countries are left with baseball stadia they cannot use afterwards. And it's really a boring game to watch on TV (as golf will be in 2016). That's why.

Yeah...This is all good for the Commonwealths in '14...This performance by GB adds the shine to the CWGs that have lost a bit of lustre over the last decade.

Gold Medal to NASA!

Congratulations to the team from Mars Explorer program!

Successfully landing the largest moving remote control vehicle on another Planet.

Interesting that the Top 3 in the medal table are all there because of massive funding, but that the main funding models are so very different:

China...State funding pure and simple

USA....Private funding and sponsorship as well as a cut from the broadcasting rights with virtually no state input

GB.....National Lottery funding

With 5 days left, China still leads the US in total medals 67-64, which I find incredible at this point so far into the Games. If China tops the US in total medals, it will be the first time since Germany in 1936 that a country other than the US or Russia/USSR will have done so.

Britain's golden haul is best since 1908

Britain is celebrating its biggest haul of Olympic gold since 1908 at a London Games that just keeps on giving for a host nation once famed for its love of plucky losers and heroic failures.

Not since the first London Olympics, when just 22 nations took part compared to the present 204 and when much of the world was ruled from the British capital, have the country's athletes stashed away so much gold and so many medals.

With five full days remaining, Britain had taken 22 golds and 47 medals from 13 sports, if track and road cycling are considered separately. Britain is third in the medals table.

Reuters

http://uk.eurosport....10396--spt.html

Well Done Great Britain...What a herculian effort to dominate the Games and getting up into third...You must be very proud. These have been the best games ever in my lifetime!

Interesting- would one of you like to post a break up of medals within the UK 'countries'? I'd like to see the demographic distribution.

Archived