The race for third is really kicking into gear now. Korea and France are off to an amazing first week, and the Japanese are doing well on overall medals. The Brits are really moving now and I guess next week will be good for them as well as Russia and Germany.

The biggest surprise for me so far is Australia's struggle.

And I'm happy Canada is doing OK, just wish there was a bit of gold in there. Our tradition since 1988 has been 3 gold medals, but I'd rather see a repeat of Barcelona's 7. ;)

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ken, we should just be happy there isn't a lot of 4th place finishes like in previous Olympics. I will happily take 2 silver and 5 bronze when most of those medals were not expected. It has been an exceptional start to the week and hopefully the early success can spur on our true gold-medal threats to win gold. And I won't be happy with 3 golds this time, it will be embarrassing to finish behind a country that starves their people. Or one that inspired Borat.

Everything is calm in Brazilian side... We are ahead Canada!

(Where is Intoronto??? - Oh, in my rear mirror) :P

*In Olympic Games our rivals are Canada... Argentina is too weak to keep some rivalry here...

You are not ahead of Canada. Canada has 2x the medals Brazil has.

Ken, we should just be happy there isn't a lot of 4th place finishes like in previous Olympics. I will happily take 2 silver and 5 bronze when most of those medals were not expected. It has been an exceptional start to the week and hopefully the early success can spur on our true gold-medal threats to win gold. And I won't be happy with 3 golds this time, it will be embarrassing to finish behind a country that starves their people. Or one that inspired Borat.

You mean FOUR gold medals there. It is kind of humiliating that it is eighth in the medal tally, despite winning only 5 medals in total.

Canada will come good - I know it! :) Australia will catch up as well and New Zealand looks like the rowing will kick start their medal hoard. Have faith.

Yeah! Canada like NZ are usually Week Two medal grabbers...Although for NZ, this time it's becomming mid-games.

Yeah! Canada like NZ are usually Week Two medal grabbers...Although for NZ, this time it's becomming mid-games.

For New Zealand it helps with the rowing finals becomming spread out over four days rather than the 2 at previous olympics.

You are not ahead of Canada. Canada has 2x the medals Brazil has.

Hahaha, you waited til you get there to answer my post...

Very fair from you...

How many Canadian Olympic Champions in London, so far?

:rolleyes:

Tomorrow Cielo will be swimming :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

106 athlets and no medals for us yet :( however hope Fedex gonna win the gold medal for us . Shame Spartacus injured in road race .

Is Spartacus Cancellara? Yes, shame he was injured in the Road Race but he was a star to battle through on the Time Trial. You should be very proud of him. :) You have Roger Federer as well

Those friggin' Chinese. Messin' up the old order!! Did anybody hear about the Chinese medalist (I forget which sport) who bawled and cried at the press conference, apologizing to the Motherland and one and all, for winning only a silver?? :wacko: It was like the keening the North Koreans indulge in when one of those defective Kims die. Really quite embarrassing and imbecilic.

I dont want to be rude but how is possible that Spain ... a nation who exploded in almost all team sports and also in individuals race at world championships or europeans to be so weak at olympic games ?!!! Maybe dopping dont work with so many controls here ?!!! Operation Fuentes say something about this ?

Sry i cant edit my posts. Btw yes Spartacus is Fabian Cancellara... Shame for his injury in road race but shame for his broken collarbone this spring in Tour of Flanders cause he obvious missed the practice and he "lost" the entire season... hope he will be healthy now for the world championship. This Radio Shack Trek project is cursed i guess.

OK, so 2 medals for Spain during the first week, same as in Beijing. Now is when we should start winning more and reach the 15-20 medals we got in Beijing and Athens.

You have some good chances in athletics don't you?

I dont want to be rude but how is possible that Spain ... a nation who exploded in almost all team sports and also in individuals race at world championships or europeans to be so weak at olympic games ?!!! Maybe dopping dont work with so many controls here ?!!! Operation Fuentes say something about this ?

Which sports are you t. alking about? I've not heard anything

Operation Puerto was in cycling but was supposed even footbalers from Barcelona and Real took meds from the Dr. Fuentes and also well knowing tennis players like : Nadal,Verdasco,Ferrer > However they have big chances to win a medal in basketbal ....

Off topic : To many poor judges at this edition of JO (especialy in box,fencing,judo,gymnastic and even in weightlifting i saw valid attempts cancelled.)

Sry i cant edit my posts. Btw yes Spartacus is Fabian Cancellara... Shame for his injury in road race but shame for his broken collarbone this spring in Tour of Flanders cause he obvious missed the practice and he "lost" the entire season... hope he will be healthy now for the world championship. This Radio Shack Trek project is cursed i guess.

Don't know why your pissed, Spain isn't exactly a sporting powerhouse they got 15th In Beijing, Australia got 6th yet we are 16th with 1 gold after 6 days not to good.

and they got 20th in Athens with 3 gold where Australia got 4th

The thing is, in individuals, we haven't really lost any medal that "should have been expected" from our world championships or europeans results so far. We never really became such a "sports powerhouse". At least not in any sport that gives many medals at the olympics. Not beyond football and some media personalities like Nadal, Gasol, Contador (oh yes, doping...), Fernando Alonso (emmm... F1).

Apart from the football fiasco, many of our chances in team sports are open so far. And then we have chances in sailing, synchro swimming, men's tennis doubles, maybe thriathlon, taekwondo, canoe sprint... Traditionally we always get most our medals on second week.

You have some good chances in athletics don't you?

No, maybe one or surprise medals. We just won one bronze medal in Daegu 2011.

Spain is really good at team sports in general, and as they're very media friendly, we're usually told that Spain is a sports powerhouse, but if we want to be among the 10 best teams at the Olympics, we have to win more medals in athletics, swimming and gymnastics. However, I like the fact that we normally win medals in a wide range of sports, and although countries like Kenya and Jamaica (and probably North Korea this time) end up better than us in the medals table, I think I prefer having competitive athletes in many sports.

Regarding athletics, well, I think we have some chances, but I'd be happy if we manage to win only 1 or 2 medals. I just hope we won't come back home empty-handed as in Beijing! :P I'd say 1500, 3000 steeplechase, race walks and men's discus throw are our best chances, and medals are also possible but more difficult in men's long jump and women's high jump.

Anyway, Spain is a second-week country at the Olympics, so medals should start coming from now on.

Considering there is more tomorrow...I think NZ will be in a good mood for the rest of the Games... :)

Oh and our predicted Gold Quota has been met...and we still havent got to the Womans Shotput yet! :huh:

Archived