Canada's CTV Coverage of the London 2012 Games

mr.x

I'm really not looking forward to CBC taking the reigns of Canadian Olympic coverage....it simply isn't the network we remember with all the cut backs, despite what they say. Moreover, I personally find coverage on CTV to be a bit more exciting and wider in scope - like you guys have said, more channels to flip through for live coverage and repeats.

On the topic of rights changes, the Hudson's Bay Company rights with VANOC/COC began in 2006 and end with 2012. That means the rights to dress our athletes will be up in the air after London. I highly doubt HBC will be bidding for the rights, they did it solely for the build-up to Vancouver 2010 as a means of rebuilding the HBC brand. But that was under the old owner, the current owners are much more attuned to making HBC a luxury retailer. I think Roots will be back 2014 onwards.

I doubt it, Roots was extremely pissed off about the process leading into Torino. The only rumor I have heard is that the COC is looking at using lululemon instead of Nike. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the COC went the way of the USOC and choice a higher end fashion label like Burburry or Ralph Lauren.

CBC does have Bold as a second channel, but it is not nearly as widespread as TSN. There is also Newsworld.

And speaking of which, like I said before, it is very likely that CBC will enter into an agreement with Bell to use TSN and OLN as 2nd and 3rd channels. I am guessing that CBC paid in the neighbourhood of 85 million, if they can get 20 million from Bell it will go along way. The writing was on the wall when Bell outbid CBC for the FIFA rights from 2013 to 2018.

Archived