Rowing at the 2012 Summer Olympics

For four days, rowers of all events here go through their qualification rounds, in determining which of them will go for the medals from August 1 to 4.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/rowing/schedule-and-results/day=28-july/all-day.html

rowing.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope at least 1 gold for NZ....We SHOULD pick up a small swag of medals. Soon find out how we wll fear later next week with heats this morning.

I hope at least 1 gold for NZ....We SHOULD pick up a small swag of medals. Soon find out how we wll fear later next week with heats this morning.

Womens Pairs are stright through to the final after finishing second in their heat behind Australia.

It looked comfortable.

Final day (July 31) of repechages, quaterfinals, and semifinals of various events here, before the first Olympic medals are awarded the next day.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/rowing/schedule-and-results/day=31-july/all-day.html

rowing.jpg

Sculling Sloth loses Olympic rowing race but wins fans

Hamadou Djibo Issaka, the novice rower from Niger who has emerged as an unlikely hero at the London Olympics, vowed to improve on Tuesday after finishing last again and posting an even worse time than before.

The 35-year-old has won near-cult status with the mostly British crowd in his three races so far. On Tuesday, the commentator urged him on as he lagged the field by 300 meters on the 2,000 meter course, and finished 28 seconds slower than in his previous race.

Some 20,000 spectators rose to their feet to cheer him over the finish, where he slumped over his oars and gasped for breath.

Dubbed by the British press as the "sculling sloth", he received a wild card to the Olympics under a system designed to ensure all 204 National Olympic Committees can take part, even if no athletes have qualified.

He rowed first in a traditional wooden fishing boat, before spending three months abroad on a training camp. The first time he sat in a narrow racing boat, he fell in.

"I don't have any technique," the slight figure told reporters. "I've been learning only three months. But with the time and the years, I'll get the technique," he said, already setting his sights on the Rio Games in 2016.

"When I was on the starting line, I was just glad that I didn't make the boat fall over," he told Reuters Television in an interview. "I am very happy about that. And when I was finishing it really wasn't easy.

"But there are lots of people who have encouraged me, and I needed a lot of courage to finish the race."

Djibo Issaka has drawn comparisons with Eric 'The Eel' Moussambani, the swimmer from Equatorial Guinea who crawled to fame at Sydney in 2000.

Reuters

Well, for some of us, the wait is over. August 1 sees that the first Olympic medals handed out in this sport for the following events:

- Women's pair;

- Women's quadruple sculls; and,

- Men's eights.

The semifinals take place for the following events:

- Men's single sculls;

- Men's lightweight double sculls;

- Men's quadruple sculls; and,

- Men's pair.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/rowing/schedule-and-results/day=1-august/all-day.html

rowing.jpg

Single Sculls finals...Mahe v Cambell v Synek - scary!!!!! :blink:

Final of the Woman's Pair next! Go NZ!

Womens Pairs final is going to be huge... Will GBR get their first gold or can the Kiwis get up?

Archived