Handball at the 2012 Summer Olympics

To start things off in the handball competition, the women start their preliminary round as follows on July 28:

Group A:

- Russia vs. Angola @ 09:30 BST;

- Croatia vs. Brazil @ 14:30 BST;

- Montenegro vs. Great Britain @ 19:30 BST;

Group B:

- Spain vs. South Korea @ 11:15 BST

- Denmark vs. Sweden @ 16:15 BST;

- Norway vs. France @ 21:15 BST.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/handball/schedule-and-results/day=28-july/all-day.html

handball.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 29 sees the continuation of the preliminary rounds. This time, it is the debut of the mens' teams.

Group A:

- Iceland vs. Argentina @ 09:30 BST;

- Sweden vs. Tunisia @ 14:30 BST;

- France vs. Great Britain @ 19:30 BST.

Group B:

- Croatia vs. South Korea @ 11:15 BST;

- Spain vs. Serbia @ 16:15 BST;

- Hungary vs. Denmark @ 21:15 BST.

Link: http://www.london201...ly/all-day.html

handball.jpg

July 30 sees that the women continue their preliminary matches. Here is the schedule.

Group A:

- Angola vs. Croatia @ 09:30 BST;

- Great Britain vs. Russia @ 14:30 BST;

- Brazil vs. Montenegro @ 19:30 BST.

Group B:

- South Korea vs. Denmark @ 11:15 BST;

- France vs. Spain @ 16:15 BST;

- Sweden vs. Norway @ 21:15 BST.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/handball/schedule-and-results/day=30-july/all-day.html

handball.jpg

At the risk of being ethnocentric, why in the world is the United States not better at this sport? The level of phyisicality and scoring would seem to make it a natural after American football, basketball and ice hockey. Strange.

I agree this sport has the potential to be popular with the qualities that you mentioned. I enjoy the sport too. Problem is, American ascendency in the sport internationally and consistent national media attention of it are definitely not going to occur overnight. Even with the US being in the Rugby World Cup except for 1995, it still struggles for national respect despite the strong cult following it has. I understand Universal Sports plans to commit itself to that sport when it hits on TV. But there are other things too like the need for a domestic pro league to develop a talent pool of players for the national teams and lessen the need for Americans to head overseas. But as we've seen with women's pro soccer here, a league must be business-viable for years, have strong media-friendly personalities to grow the sport with and willing to be crossovers and educate the masses, and have strong TV backing for years that will help the league eventually at least break even. Otherwise, things will continue to be marginal.

I've seen British people who have never watched handball before who are getting into it and commenting on he live comentary that we should get kids playing it in schools. Might be a good legacy for these games if some of the sports gain more fans here in the UK as well as around the world.

I've seen British people who have never watched handball before who are getting into it and commenting on he live comentary that we should get kids playing it in schools. Might be a good legacy for these games if some of the sports gain more fans here in the UK as well as around the world.

I've heard stories on how Brits are really getting into the sport with the kind of Olympic exposure it's earning. Like to see the same situation emulated here Stateside by putting it into schools too as it earns more fans.

I was there yesterday afternoon.

Well, I thought it was great....in its way. Fast, action packed, loud and intimate venue, a bit rock n roll. First time I'd seen it live too. It's a bit samey in some ways, there's no build up or anticipation or suspence which I think all great sports have. But to see a couple of games live at an Olympics was fun.

And yes, this would be great in schools. Could easily be rolled out without too much cost and kids would love it.

BTW, for those who know about these things, do they normally have comedy muscial accompaniments during handball matches (Michael Jackson's "Bad" during a sin binning, for example?)...

More men's handball matches on July 31.

Group A:

- Tunisia vs. Iceland @ 09:30 BST;

- Great Britain vs. Sweden @ 14:30 BST;

- Argentina vs. France @ 21:15 BST.

Group B:

- South Korea vs. Hungary @ 11:15 BST;

- Serbia vs. Croatia @ 16:15 BST;

- Denmark vs. Spain @ 19:30 BST.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/handball/schedule-and-results/day=31-july/all-day.html

handball.jpg

Brazil won!!! WTF???

Amazing!!!

Amazing, yes. Surprising, I wouldn´t say so. Last year they finished 5th in the World Championships with only one defeat (Spain - 26-25, QF). They were even able to beat France and Russia! I wouldn´t say that they´re candidates for a medal, but they may surprise everyone.

And, by the way, the WC was staged last December here in Sao Paulo, Brazil, but the vast majority of brazilians didn´t notice it (everyone was too worried about the last weeks of the football championship.. what a shame)

August 1 sees more preliminary womens' matches.

Group A:

- Montenegro vs. Angola @ 11:15 BST;

- Great Britain vs. Brazil @ 16:15 BST;

- Russia vs. Croatia @ 21:15 BST.

Group B:

- Norway vs. South Korea @ 09:30 BST;

- France vs. Sweden @ 14:30 BST;

- Spain vs. Denmark @ 19:30 BST.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/handball/schedule-and-results/day=1-august/all-day.html

handball.jpg

Montenegro 30 - 25 Angola

France 29 - 17 Sweden

Spain 24 - 21 Denmark

Russia 28 - 30 Croatia

Women's Group Standings

Group A

1- Brazil 6 pts

2- Russia 4

3- Montenegro 4

4- Croatia 4

5- Angola 0

6- Great Britain

Group B

1- France 5 pts

2- South Korea 5

3- Norway 3

4- Spain 3

5- Denmark 2

6- Sweden 0

More preliminary matches for the men, for August 2.

Group A:

- France vs. Tunisia @ 11:15 BST;

- Great Britain vs. Argentina @ 16:15 BST;

- Sweden vs. Iceland @ 21:15 BST.

Group B:

- Spain vs. South Korea @ 09:30 BST;

- Croatia vs. Hungary @ 14:30 BST;

- Serbia vs. Denmark @ 19:30 BST.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/handball/schedule-and-results/day=2-august/all-day.html

handball.jpg

Archived