• Last Reply

Women All Around

Gabrielle Douglas wins gold

Victoria Komova 2nd

Aliya Mustafina 3rd

Douglas of the United States;

Komova of Russia; and,

Mustafina of Russia.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/gymnastics-artistic/event/women-all-around/phase=gaw024100/index.html

Gymnastics takes a break for August 3 and 4. After that, it is the medal rounds for various individual events for men and women.

Why a tiebreaker in gymnastics? The tiebreaker seemed arbitrary, taking the sum of the top 3 apparatus scores. Why not the top 1 or the top 2? If other sports can have shared medals, why can't gymnastics?

Another question I have is they seem to allow practice vaults right before your official vault. Do they allow practice runs for the other apparati, and they just don't show them on TV? If not, why not?

Why a tiebreaker in gymnastics? The tiebreaker seemed arbitrary, taking the sum of the top 3 apparatus scores. Why not the top 1 or the top 2? If other sports can have shared medals, why can't gymnastics?

Another question I have is they seem to allow practice vaults right before your official vault. Do they allow practice runs for the other apparati, and they just don't show them on TV? If not, why not?

I can't answer your first question, but to the second - yes they all get three minutes practice on the other pieces. The vault takes a little longer so maybe that is why you tend to see that on TV and miss the others practicing?

I completely agree. Especially when the scores are so vulnerable to subjective distortion. Those microscopic margins are not sufficiently objective to warrant a tie-breaker.

I can't answer your first question, but to the second - yes they all get three minutes practice on the other pieces. The vault takes a little longer so maybe that is why you tend to see that on TV and miss the others practicing?

Exactly. They explain it all before the event. I think it was 30 seconds practice time for every competitor on all the apparatus, and 50 seconds for the vault (actually, for the men it was the parallel bars with the 50 seconds, because it is allowed to be adjusted for the individual competitor).

In my point of view Douglas got a better mark than she deserved at beam ... 9.00 at execution... is to much , she made some errors there... and the Difficulty 6.5 for such a "cheap" exercise is to much... Komova exercise was harder and she got only 6.4 at Difficulty ,she was "robbed" here by the judges.

In my point of view Douglas got a better mark than she deserved at beam ... 9.00 at execution... is to much , she made some errors there... and the Difficulty 6.5 for such a "cheap" exercise is to much... Komova exercise was harder and she got only 6.4 at Difficulty ,she was "robbed" here by the judges.

You can contest the execution if you want, but the D score is objectively determined by the code of points. Komova was overscored on vault after all those steps to the side. Even if we concede your point about beam (which I don't), the vault evens it all out. Mustafina was overscored on beam as well and Raisman was underscored on floor. There will always be an inescapable subjective element. The superfine distinctions are artificial.

Do you guys watch sports to oggle at the men or because of the sports lol :P

A little from column A and a little from column B. I love watching sports, but watching attractive people compete makes it a lot better. I don't want to watch the 125kg+ women's weightlifting, but the 64kg ok then.

A little from column A and a little from column B. I love watching sports, but watching attractive people compete makes it a lot better. I don't want to watch the 125kg+ women's weightlifting, but the 64kg ok then.

lol a nice compromise if ever there was one. I switched over to Judo just before and thought I was about to watch the sumo - the guy was enormous!

The judges drop the lowest score and considerate the other 3. If there's still a tie, the execution score determines the winner.

The judges drop the lowest score and considerate the other 3. If there's still a tie, the execution score determines the winner.

Yeah. I know those are the rules. I just think they fail to sufficiently acknowledge the margin of error that exists in such a subjective sport.

After a 2-day break, the gymnastics competition continues. This time, on August 5, Olympic medals are at stake for the following individual events:

- Men's Floor Exercise;

- Women's Vault; and,

- Men's Pommel Horse.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/gymnastics-artistic/schedule-and-results/day=5-august/all-day.html

gymnastics-artistic.jpg

Final medal results for the following events on August 5.

Men's Floor Exercise:

- GOLD: ZOU Kai (China)

- SILVER: Kohei Uchimura (Japan)

- BRONZE: Denis Ablyazin (Russia)

Link: http://www.london2012.com/gymnastics-artistic/event/men-floor-exercise/phase=gam001100/index.html

Women's Vault:

- GOLD: Sandra Raluca Izbasa (Romania)

- SILVER: McKayla Maroney (United States)

- BRONZE: Maria Paseka (Russia)

Link: http://www.london2012.com/gymnastics-artistic/event/women-vault/phase=gaw002100/index.html

Men's Pommel Horse:

- GOLD: Krisztian Berki (Hungary)

- SILVER: Louis Smith (GREAT BRITAIN)

- BRONZE: Max Whitlock (GREAT BRITAIN)

Link: http://www.london2012.com/gymnastics-artistic/event/men-pommel-horse/phase=gam006100/index.html

August 6 sees that Olympic medals are handed out in the men's rings, women's uneven bars, and men's vault events.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/gymnastics-artistic/schedule-and-results/day=6-august/all-day.html

gymnastics-artistic.jpg

Archived