Gymnastics at the 2012 Summer Olympics

Final medal results for the women's group all-round event in rhythmic gymnastics:

- GOLD: Russia

- SILVER: Belarus

- BRONZE: Italy

Link: http://www.london2012.com/gymnastics-rhythmic/event/group-all-around/phase=grw400100/index.html

rs-lgflag.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, they really need to get rid of the tiebreaker. Quite a few deserving athletes were robbed in these games. Other sports allow shared medals, so gymnastics can too.

Louis Smith has now come out and quite rightly said he was robbed of gold by a tie breaker rule which rewards those who aim for an easier routine. Surely those risking a more difficult routine should be rewarded in such situations.

Also considering the Team GB success a real shame there was no Gymnastics Gala this year, even if they'd moved it to another arena. A bit of an opportunity missed really to just keep the momentum of the gymnasts success early in the games in the public eye towards the end.

I'm also in no doubt too Rhythmic Gymnastics has no place in the games.

The problem with the tie-breaker is that it assumes there is validity to the judges' subjective evaluations down to the 1000th of a point. That's ridiculous. I agree that the tie-breaking procedure should be abandoned. If two athletes are that close to each other, both deserve medals. Period.

However, the rules are the rules -- however idiotic they may be. All the athletes knew the rules going into the competition.

You don't hear Aly Raisman or Catalina Ponor complaining about their losses due to tie-breaks. You don't hear Jordyn Wieber complaining that it wasn't fair that she be eliminated from the all-around even though she finished 4th in qualifying.

Although I agree that the rule is foolish, it shows a weakness of character for Louis Smith to complain about it.

I'm also in no doubt too Rhythmic Gymnastics has no place in the games.

Bite your tongue!! Rhythmic allows the same venue to be used for another 2 days after the Artistics have finished; i.e., MORE tickets sold and MORE INCOME for the OCOG. Doesn't cost them anymore to stage it and house the what? some 90 Rhythmic gymnasts, all 5'2" of them vs. the some 400 7 foot, 200 lb basketball players who require extra-long beds in the village?? Where are your priorities?? :blink:

Although to be fair he kept his mouth shut until a week after the games, and Team GB were very gracious in accept bronze in the mens team event after the Japanese appealed against a clear fault on dismounting the pommel horse and stole silver.

The Japanese protest had merit and Team GB had good reason to be elated with bronze.

Bite your tongue!! Rhythmic allows the same venue to be used for another 2 days after the Artistics have finished; i.e., MORE tickets sold and MORE INCOME for the OCOG. Doesn't cost them anymore to stage it and house the what? some 90 Rhythmic gymnasts, all 5'2" of them vs. the some 400 7 foot, 200 lb basketball players who require extra-long beds in the village?? Where are your priorities?? :blink:

Basketball is sport though - American sport but still sport none the less. Faffing around with bits of ribbon isn't.

The two greatest moments of London 2012's artistic gymnastics competition:

01) McKayla Maroney throwing shade at everyone after not winning the women's vault ("throwing shade" means subtly rebuking someone) and her now-iconic bitch-face

02) Epke Zonderland's gold-medal winning performance on the men's horizontal bar (part of one of the greatest event finals in Olympic history)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived