Gymnastics at the 2012 Summer Olympics

The gymnastics portion of London 2012 starts with the men's qualification round for the all-round crown today. Tomorrow, it will be the women's turn. After that, for the next 7 days, except for August 3 and 4, medals will be handed out for the all-round, team, and various individual events.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/gymnastics-artistic/schedule-and-results/day=28-july/all-day.html

After the artistic gymnastics competition concludes, the rhythmic gymnastics event starts from August 9 to 12.

gymnastics-artistic.jpggymnastics-rhythmic.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chilean Tomás González become the first athlete of my country not only attending the Gymnastic events but also qualifying for the finals!

I really hope he can get a medal on vault and/or floor!

Just tuned in to the last rotation to check out if the Chinese are still 12 years old. And lo, a shock. Oksana Chusovitina is listed as one of Germany's competitors! Seems like she's been around since...well...Queen Victoria's era. :o And apparently somewhere along the way, changed countries. Gotta give her points for persistence. Just hope she has a good brand of arthritis ointment for the post-competition days.

Just tuned in to the last rotation to check out if the Chinese are still 12 years old.

The BBC commentators have just been talking about all the Chinese being 'apparently' 20 years' old. They certainly do not look 20 and definitely more like 16. I do like small gymnasts though - they are so cute!

Actually, this crop of Chinese gymnasts look like they meet the age minimum just from looking at their bodies and faces. I think the Chinese Fed knew they would be under a microscope after the obvious cheating of 2008.

Minimum age is 15.

Looking at the Qualifications for women's all-around, it's a huge shame that one of the the top gymnasts there, Jordyn Weiber, is getting bumped in favor of way lesser gymnasts scoring far below her, all because of the idiotic 2-country limit. That's nearly criminal, IMO. With 24 qualifiers, they should take all the top scorers regardless of country. Either you want the best out there, or you want to pander to politics. Farce. Fail.

Minimum age is 15.

Looking at the Qualifications for women's all-around, it's a huge shame that one of the the top gymnasts there, Jordyn Weiber, is getting bumped in favor of way lesser gymnasts scoring far below her, all because of the idiotic 2-country limit. That's nearly criminal, IMO. With 24 qualifiers, they should take all the top scorers regardless of country. Either you want the best out there, or you want to pander to politics. Farce. Fail.

I agree completely. She's the reigning world champion. She qualified in fourth place with a score over 60. How can anyone argue that eliminating her is the right choice? Obviously it's too late for this year, but the FIG needs to make a change.

As you said, either this is about the best athletes in the world or it's not.

Just to be clear, there are other athletes (esp Russian & Chinese) in the same situation on either the IAA or individual apparatus, 3rd on a strong team and thus getting passed over in favor of lesser gymnasts. I feel for them also.

Just to be clear, there are other athletes (esp Russian & Chinese) in the same situation on either the IAA or individual apparatus, 3rd on a strong team and thus getting passed over in favor of lesser gymnasts. I feel for them also.

I agree completely. Wieber being the world champion and placing fourth will get this issue more attention because it makes the problems with this rule so glaring. However she is certainly not the only one affected by it. There are plenty of others bumped out of the AA and the event finals.

This rule was instituted after the Romanians swept the all-around podium in Sydney. (Then poor Andreea Raducan's gold medal was quite wrongly taken away from her....)

I admit that at the time I was disappointed to see three Romanians on the podium. It felt like total domination. The truth is -- IT WAS. If the Romanians were that good they should have swept the podium. The rest of the world has four years to go home and try to find a way to beat them. That's the way it should be.

This rule is wrong.

The first Olympic medals to be awarded takes place today (July 30) in the men's team event. The eight men's teams that will compete for the medals are of the following: China, France, Germany, the host Great Britain, Japan, Russia, Ukraine, and the United States,

Link: http://www.london2012.com/gymnastics-artistic/schedule-and-results/day=30-july/all-day.html

gymnastics-artistic.jpg

I agree completely. She's the reigning world champion. She qualified in fourth place with a score over 60. How can anyone argue that eliminating her is the right choice? Obviously it's too late for this year, but the FIG needs to make a change.

Regardless, she'll be haunted by this for years to come. You're right guys, eliminating her is very questionable at a time when it's expected that the US will finally dominate as a team in London. But also I think FIG still wants to throw a bone to nations who send only one gymnast for an Olympics and make their stay extended as possible. On the other hand, who's to say Wieber will be as prominent as she is now four years later in Rio De Janeiro?

Men's team

Gold - China 275.997

Silver - Japan 271.952

Bronze - Great Britain 271.711

4th - Ukraine

5th - USA

6th - Russia

7th - Germany

8th - France

Although that doesn't tell the whole story. Britain had won the Silver until the Japanese whinged about 4th place and put in an appeal which took them to 2nd. Completely unfair to have just one routine re-judged - if they're questioning the judges on one routine that brings their judgement on all routines into question.

The most frustrating thing is the Brits have been helping the Japanese in their training!

Although that doesn't tell the whole story. Britain had won the Silver until the Japanese whinged about 4th place and put in an appeal which took them to 2nd. Completely unfair to have just one routine re-judged - if they're questioning the judges on one routine that brings their judgement on all routines into question.

The most frustrating thing is the Brits have been helping the Japanese in their training!

I've heard that tonight. Apparently they came over to see what we were doing in our programme and been taking videos? WTF? Wouldn't see that happening in the cycling. Remarkable that the upgrade on his awful dismount just happened to bump them back into silver when most commenting said that it would be .3 or .4 or something. Still we can't complain as we still got a medal - fel sorry for Ukraine in the end because they don't get much funding apparently and the medal would have meant the world to them.

A huge difference though between bronze and silver - and the way it happened meant it felt like they lost the silver rather than won the bronze. I do think though it won't be the last medal Team GB win in the Gymnastics.

If there could only be one it would be Beth Tweddle on the uneven bars for me. Hopefully the men's success will spur the girls on tomorrow.

But the US is already being Represented by 2 athletes which were better than Weiber at the competition. It's more than fair to give all countries the opportunity to compete!!! Go KOMOVA! The most stylish gymnast!

Archived