London 2012 Opening Ceremony - What did you think?

143 members have voted

1. 1. What are your feelings on the Opening Ceremony?

• It was fantastic, up there with the best if not the best!
    • It was really good, maybe not one of the best but London did it's self proud!
    • Was good, could have been better.
    • Meh, did not like it.
    • It was poor, was disappointed.
    • Was really bad, one of the worst iv seen.

Actually no, because she 'asked' him to come up with the initial ideas, he presented them to her; and the story goes, she said, go ahead, present them to the IOC. Going by his website, he owns all of it. Anyway, to me, it doesn't matter who the culprit was...the proof was, it still was a highly flawed, over-rated and disappointing show. IMO. I wasn't blinded by it. And I make no apologies for my views. Why should I?

She could have asked anyone but in the end she asked him. That is the single most important thing she have done that resulted in Athens ceremony.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whatever...

Athens did produce the most relevant Opening Ceremony - it tied in the ancient games, birth of the modern games and then introduced the 2004 games.

the image in the clepsydra where the 1896 float of performers appeared in the foreground and the ancient appeared in the distance across the waters of fractured relics in the same camera shot was completely amazing and moving.

This was no low-brow musical interpretation of singing greek gods (which would have looked ridiculous), but rather a restrained and beautifuly crafted presentation of statues and the past gently coming to life.

incredible!

They tried that two years later...

OMG. just: OMG!!!! & OMG !!!!

it makes the Athens Opening ceremony look even better.

I suppose it will appeal to the revolting kitsch aesthetic some people seem to want to see in EVERY ceremony.

Actually no, because she 'asked' him to come up with the initial ideas, he presented them to her; and the story goes, she said, go ahead, present them to the IOC. Going by his website, he owns all of it. Anyway, to me, it doesn't matter who the culprit was...the proof was, it still was a highly flawed, over-rated and disappointing show. IMO. I wasn't blinded by it. And I make no apologies for my views. Why should I?

Nobody's asking you to apologize. (We all know what a futile exercise THAT would be.) We will, however, vigorously disagree. We will also highlight that your opinion is just that -- opinion -- not the proclamation coming down from Mount Olympus that you seem to think it is.

Nobody's asking you to apologize. (We all know what a futile exercise THAT would be.) We will, however, vigorously disagree. We will also highlight that your opinion is just that -- opinion -- not the proclamation coming down from Mount Olympus that you seem to think it is.

@AF, yes, but I am ENTITLED to my opinion. I just think Papaioannou missed his mark considering the resources he had at his command; and squandered. So sue me for thinking that!! :P

So everybody has to think alike? Count me out of the 'herd mentality' since that seems to give you security. :lol:

And I guess this discussion will go on until the end of time. I will be here. It was still a failed, JOYLESS show -- a mere shadow of what it could've been. You want me to respect your opinion but you can't respect mine. So it's a stalemate. Why don't you write your own book, too? I mean who's stopping you...or that other illiterate sycophant who's stalked me all the way from SkyScraperCity? :P

HAHAHA! well said!!

@AF, yes, but I am ENTITLED to my opinion. I just think Papaioannou missed his mark considering the resources he had at his command; and squandered. So sue me for thinking that!! :P

And I guess this discussion will go on until the end of time. I will be here. It was still a failed, JOYLESS show -- a mere shadow of what it could've been. :P

for many (i.e. 99.99% of the world) it was exactly as it should have been - smart, cultural, beautiful and important.

and it is tiresome that you are trying to convince us to hate it.

/\/\ Well, what did I say? A sycophant in the truest sense of the word. :lol: :lol:

for many (i.e. 99.99% of the world) it was exactly as it should have been - smart, cultural, beautiful and important.

and it is tiresome that you are trying to convince us to hate it.

No kidding? Wow!! SHow me the sources for your stats. No; I am NOT trying to convince you to hate it. WHy should I? I just don't think it was that exceptional and it is a highly overrated show IMHO. Why can't you accept it? I mean I don't care if you get orgasms over it. I don't really care but I can't let an over-rated show get undeserved praise.

As I said, so sue me if I think otherwise from you. Is that concept too hard for u to grasp as well?? Then I imagine that your world is so small and insecure that it cannot stand divergent views. Ciao for now.

/\/\ Well, what did I say? A sycophant in the truest sense of the word. :lol: :lol:

No kidding? Wow!! SHow me the sources for your stats. No; I am NOT trying to convince you to hate it. WHy should I? I just don't think it was that exceptional and it is a highly overrated show IMHO. Why can't you accept it? I mean I don't care if you get orgasms over it. I don't really care but I can't let an over-rated show get undeserved praise.

As I said, so sue me if I think otherwise from you. Is that concept too hard for u to grasp as well?? Then I imagine that your world is so small and insecure that it cannot stand divergent views. Ciao for now.

Myles, why do you make things so personal?

I have a question: usually they also raise a Greek flag besides the Olympic flag and the national flag; any idea why this tradition has been discontinued ?

It is indeed a custom only for the closing ceremonies. They hoist the current host nation's flag (in this case, the UK) or have it already flying at the flagpole, then they hoist the Greek flag and then the next host nation's flag (in this case, Brazil). Sometimes they choose a different order, but those three flags are always hoisted (or already flown) together with the performance of the respective national anthems at the closing ceremonies.

I don't know whether everyone can view this, but it should work at least for European viewers - here's the uncommented video of the complete opening ceremony, as provided by Eurovision:

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html?video_id=8521

Thanks a lot. It's great to see it without that awful commentary. A lot of great moments were destroyed by the commentators.

Archived