NBC's Coverage of London 2012

NY20??

Do we have a thread dedicated to NBC's coverage this year? I vaguely remember having one during Vancouver and possibly during Beijing as well.

Good place to either complain ("no live ceremony!") or praise ("the stunning ceremony intro!") NBC and how they cover these Games. And I suppose this can also act as a "live" chat tomorrow night during the broadcast of the ceremony for those us who won't be able to or don't want to catch a pirated live stream.

As for tonight, Rock Center will be broadcasting from London. Meredith Viera and Bob Costas will preview tomorrow's Opening Ceremony with an interview with the creative director Danny Boyle.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh **** NBC.

i hope this is the olympics where ratings plummet and everyone migrates online where they won't make as much off the broadcasting. i hope ratings drop in sochi too and they start to rethink the billion dollar deals with the IOC.

it's not like we get anything out of it.

i guess NBC is making the best out of a terrible time zone situation because they obscenely overpaid. i was expecting a lot less, tbh.

and while we're on the subject **** london too. hosting all the events at 3 am EST is just inexcusably selfish. big medal events should be staggered around US primetime.

what do we prop the IOC up for anyway? the privilege of 14 hour tape delays?

get those assholes in the pool at 1 am. they have lights. it's indoors for christ's sake.

How many breaks do NBC insert - is it your usual 5-6 an hour, or do they go for a less is more approach, in theory getting decent prices by having less ad spots to sell. I guess the advantage of pre-recording is they can insert a break without moving away from the action, and without spoiling anything tonights ceremony is very much divided into acts - and if they desired to do so there are probably a couple of VTs anyone showing it live could opt out of for ads.

NBC Has Best Opening Ceremony Overnight Rating for Non-U.S. Olympics Ever

Must admit, I did not see that coming. This ceremony received a lot less hype than the Beijing opening in 2008 and yet they get a better rating than 4 years ago despite what is being panned as a less than excellent broadcast. In terms of non-U.S. games, the last 3 Opening Ceremonies are among the top 4 overall in the rankings along with Lillehammer 1994 and we know what fueled that. Remains to be seen if NBC can keep up this momentum, but needless to say, a very good start for NBC

NBC Has Best Opening Ceremony Overnight Rating for Non-U.S. Olympics Ever

Must admit, I did not see that coming. This ceremony received a lot less hype than the Beijing opening in 2008 and yet they get a better rating than 4 years ago despite what is being panned as a less than excellent broadcast. In terms of non-U.S. games, the last 3 Opening Ceremonies are among the top 4 overall in the rankings along with Lillehammer 1994 and we know what fueled that. Remains to be seen if NBC can keep up this momentum, but needless to say, a very good start for NBC

Agreed--NBC has to be ecstatic about those numbers. I thought the ratings would be pretty high because of the fascination that a lot of Americans have with Great Britain, but I did not expect them to beat the Beijing numbers. We'll see if NBC maintains pace with the Beijing ratings over the next several days--a strong performance from the U.S. gymnasts could help to push the numbers up quite a bit.

I thought that a lot of people stopped watching after it became clear early on that this ceremony was not going to be another Beijing. Lots of people on my facebook and twitter feeds making comments that seem to say that.

But I guess not.

I thought that a lot of people stopped watching after it became clear early on that this ceremony was not going to be another Beijing.

The numbers appear to validate NBC's decision and the ceremony as a success ;) Oh well, guess thats irrelevant! You can continue to moan and tell us how utterly disappointed you are! Please, continue... :)

The numbers appear to validate NBC's decision and the ceremony as a success ;) Oh well, guess thats irrelevant! You can continue to moan and tell us how utterly disappointed you are! Please, continue... :)

Jesus Christ.

Okay seriously.. that's EXACTLY how I feel. And that's not directed at NY20?? but at folks in general. Everyone seems to be complaining about how bad the coverage and then watching anyway. If people want NBC to change their ways, they need to reason NBC a reason to do so. Watching coverage you can't stand is not the way to do that.

Okay seriously.. that's EXACTLY how I feel. And that's not directed at NY20?? but at folks in general. Everyone seems to be complaining about how bad the coverage and then watching anyway. If people want NBC to change their ways, they need to reason NBC a reason to do so. Watching coverage you can't stand is not the way to do that.

Are you suggesting that if someone in the US dosen't like NBC's coverage they should just not watch the Games? Or fly out to another country whose coverage they think is better and return once the Games are over?

That's on the far side of ridicoulous. And actually wouldn't even apply to me because, overall, I actually like NBC's coverage. I wouldn't trust any other network to handle and truly "understand" the Games.

So beyond NBC's coverage of the ceremonies (which I now learned left out a war memorial segment), I'm trying to watch some events. I don't have a tv, which I didn't think would be a problem because NBC promotes all kinds of live streaming on their website.

So I hop on to their website to catch the swimming action. I am told I need to be a Comcast customer. No problem, because I use Comcast for my internet, right? Wrong. Because my Comcast package doesn't include TV, then I can't stream. Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? If I paid for the TV package it would be because I have a TV and I wouldn't need to stream in the first place. Honestly, I might even be okay with buying a game times only ticket for content access from NBC directly, but I'm not going to pay Comcast even more money than I already do just for 2 weeks of sport coverage.

I'm definitely having to download the full version of ceremonies, without all that really awful commentary. I may just have to download daily highlights of event moments as well.

I always watch the Canadian TV coverage for the sports for obvious reasons (I'm Canadian...LOL!)

But I also watch Canadian coverage for the ceremonies because they are live (get to see it as it happens) and are a good preview of what to expect/cheer for Canada. Then I watch NBC's coverage a few hours later. The commentary wasn't as awful as it has been in the past, but they certainly do cut out a lot - 'Abide by Me' and the Oaths, for example.

I don't know what the US viewers can do to get 'better service'. Was ABC better back in the day? Was a different time then, of course. But imagine if FOX had it? Yikes! CBS does treat the games with dignity, but I can't recall a CBS broadcast since Nagano 1998. In the US, it is a cut-throat, free-enterprise system, so I think network execs and advertising revenues are always going to drive their decisions. Especially when they pay billions for it.

The trouble is you can't win either way with NBC. If people tune in to delayed coverage in massive numbers they feel it justifies their decision, but if numbers declined they'd justify it by saying they need to avoid them declining further. It would be really interesting though to see how NBC would perform with a live ceremony then primetime replay or highlights. How did CTV, which I assume did exactly that, do last night?

Archived