NBC's Coverage of London 2012

NY20??

Animal Practice was better than the who? Who are the who? Never heard of them.

Oh, Baron... Please be more careful about not confirming the cliché of the "ignorant American".

Particularly in this case, since The Who were very successful and well-known also in the US. They are part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, their only surviving founding members Pete Townshend and Roger Daltry were honoured at the Kennedy Center Honors in 2008 and their album "The Who Sings My Generation" was even selected for the National Recording Registry of the US Library of Congress:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who

In the era of internet, questions like these should simply not be asked anymore.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7. Where the hell was sailing?

It was the only Olympic sport in London that did not get a taste of television from NBC. This was one of the reasons why I hoped to have every sport televised, given how it seemed so hyped. Granted, the USA is not a nation that sailing generates much mass interest, even with the America's Cup. It can't be like what we saw from NOS in The Netherlands, Ireland's RTE, FOXTEL/Nine in Australia, and PRIME/SKY Sport NZ in New Zealand with more wall to wall coverage. At least with Athens NBC's networks televised ALL sports. Why was sailing restricted to only online? Even a daily highlight pakage devoted to the sport during the programming blocks could've done it.

8. Expand the Spanish language coverage

Hours of coverage was down from Beijing in Telemundo's portion. Some of this certainly has to do with the United States men failed to qualify for London's soccer. However, it only resulted in fraction of the hours lost. Some more women's soccer matches could've take up the slack. Since I didn't have Telemundo or any of the NBC cable networks, I'm not sure how NBC's family of Olympic networks quantified Puerto Rico's Olympians. According to the schedule both ceremonies were televised in Spanish, but I need tocheck on that. Maybe if it aired focused on some the Brazilian athletes in bridging the Latin audience. But they speak Portuguese, not Spanish and the focus is on the mind of America's Spanish neighbors. Spain in water polo and handball would suffice for coverage too, at least for exposure.

Continuing on #8. Yes, I rediscovered that the Opening Ceremony and Closing were shown on Telemundo, but on a tape-delayed basis. Moreover, no baseball or softball since those are dropped from the Olympic program, that also explains the drop in TV hours in part. Perhaps with all that cash Comcast and NBC shelled out for the 2012 Olympic budget, shouldn't it use a good deal of it for more expansive Spanish coverage and place it on if not on TV but online, perhaps import from the Spanish world feed when needed? Telemundo understandably didn't have the amount of staff absorbing for that this time. I was a bit under the impression briefly that there was going to be a Telemundo Deportes created in time for it. With the Summer Olympics returning to Latin America for the first time since Mexico City 1968 to Rio De Janeiro in four years time, maybe that's when we'll see more comprehensive Spanish TV coverage. Don't be surprised that we'll eventually see a Telemundo Deportes by then that will cover more Olympic sports (and maybe even carry some Portuguese-language Olympic stuff) I mean, here in the US, we already have ESPN Deportes (aired World Cup matches in Portugese from Brazil's Rede Globo) and FOX Deportes to say nothing of PRSN in Puerto Rico. But will that be too much for the Hispanic market?

9. Make a better NBC Olympic DVD collection set!

When NBC started having the Olympics again back with Seoul 1988, it released a series of VHS tapes with video distributor Wood Knapp that included each for the 1988 Olympic previews and reviews, boxing, volleyball, men's and women's track and field, swimming, and gymnastics You can still see them pop up on eBay at times, often unopened. That sadly seems like the high point for the Olympic videos out of NBC with the possible exception of NBC put out for Beijing (opening ceremony, Michael Phelps, and the review). London was the low point. For all the immense accomplishments Team USA had out of it, that collection never even attempted to grant all that justice. What was really needed was a multi-DVD set to feature that and have discs devoted to full games in team sports because some sports get short shrift and both ceremonies (like you see with TV shows on a complete series kick in stores) and give them something collector's extra like a booklet. Models on how to do them are available from other nations like Canada, Britain, and Greece. Unfortunately, the American audience doesn't seem to be as heavily involved for the Olympics as it did in the past, perhaps unless the USA is a host nation again.

10. Will NBC keep the video on-demand?

I read somewhere here that all the videos on NBCOlympics.com will keep the videos until the end of this year. The BBC, from my understanding, will keep its videos until the middle of next year. If it were up to me, they'd be there more permanently. I'm speaking from a personal standpoint of not having ever a computer and the means of not recording them on my own yet. Also in my wish, with NBC having the rights since Seoul for TV with their rights, why not archive all of that as long as the rights are theirs? Might as well use the whole buffalo. Don't forget the Internet exclusives. Probrably a pipe dream, especially with YouTube and Daily Motion present, though you can't find exactly everything Olympic there.

Just started finally watching NBC's broadcast of the Opening Ceremony. I'm stopping that for now--was watching up to the start of Ryan Seacrest's Micheal Phelps studio interview. But I got some thoughts to write about on Monday. Some things were omitted and changed compared to the international versions, not just the Abide With Me segment.

For the most part in my opinion having just watched the full NBC's coverage of the Opening Ceremony, it wasn't as butchered as I previously feared. My friends at work, including my manager the next Saturday, say that I didn't miss much. I disagree. However, I will amend my thoughts regarding the NBC telecast on my wish list. Maybe because this was London we were dealing and Americans know it than many other recent places hosting the Games. It very much did not cut siginifcant stuff out. Yes, I did watch the IOC/OBSL's world feed from the IOC's You Tube channel, so I can compare the two, at least. NOTE: Haven't seen other nations' coverage yet:

--its opener teaser for the OC was not bad, just a bit below par from Sydney's and better than Atlanta's, melding Britain's Isles of Wonder and its cultural impact to "faster, higher, and stronger" of the Olympians (who were the narrators?)

--NBC did a better job in going thorugh the artistic segments with no or little interruption by letting things go through. Except for going away for a time during the British music time medley (going from the late 70s British music before entering the 80s) during the commercial break at and actually returning with the Sex Pistols' "Pretty Vacant" was playing from "Frankie and June Say Thanks Tim" there was none of that

--Matt Laurer and Meredith Viera were silent during the BBC short films and didn't explain much letting the films tell the story, even the world feed announcers made some mentions during them

--no footage of the Nimrod Elegia and the nod to the strong British sea heritage in the prologue with the LSO from the BBC and OBSL or even the Eurovision-like countdown, save for the latter this was to be expected

--surprisingly NBC preserved not just the Olympic-themed commercials and bumpers during the breaks but also a promo for "The Voice"

--I don't mind at all that Matt and Miranda were enjoying themselves during the British music with Viera "I Can't Get No Satisfaction". It's supposed to be fun even with the formalities

--Generally with the exception of some shots that I will go into later on this

--we all know about the Abide With Me segment omitted for Ryan Seacrest's Michael Phelps interview, not happy about it here and of the why in this, though you do see a high shot of the dancers, if you look closely, from it running away from the center of the Olympic Stadium making way for the athletes in the Parade of Nations

--why doesn't World Feed use the info on # of athletes, nations' populations, and flag bearers as graphics like NBC and CTV does? something to consider for future Olympics

--speaking of omissions, why wasn't the torch relay montage preceeding David Beckham's and Jade Bailey's River Thames Olympic Torch motorboat ride shown?

--Arctic Monkeys' first song was largely omitted but came back with their very nice cover of "Come Together"

--when NBC returns to the parade, oftentimes it would use aerial shots of the athletes marching with little closeup shots like with the flagbearers. It would be largely on smaller nations upon returning from break for this. When it got to Italy though, it gave it and the other nations immediately following them like Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, and Kenya as if nothing happened. However, I was bit miffed over Latvia, Colombia, Costa Rica, and Estonia not getting on the floor love

--as far as camera shots goes, it's almost exactly the same as the world feed but with NBC's own cameras

--interesting that Bob Costas would come in to join Matt and Meredith at the Parade of Nations instead of being there from the beginning like in previous NBC Olympic OC broadcasts

To be continued...

I don't get it: When I watched the Closing Ceremony videos. There was that IOC English language feed (with and without commentary) in full but no full videos of NBC's version except in separate blocks but not able to be pieced together. Why? Some parts were missing from NBC's feed. The Who's closer was on but that comes from the world feed.

Nonetheless and anyhoo, the NBC London 2012 Closing Credits from the Closing Ceremony with a tribute to the outgoing Dick Ebersol and Bucky Gunts. Nice music imported from Dragonheart and The Shawshank Redemption.

(Slightly) Better video quality of the closing credits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwfoorbSt14

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just found this a few days ago that I since printed out. This is a more detailed arrangement of NBC's family of networks covering of the London 2012 Olympics than what we previously seen during the Olympics and this was constantly updated. I really like this one because you could discover EXACTLY what time a specific event would come on during the lengthy programming blocks, whether it would live, tape delayed, or coming in already in progress. Turns out there was a surprisingly amount of events that came in not as full events on TV. It was too bad that Telemundo's Olympic blocks still weren't as detailed as they should've beenoutside of the soccer that was played. I still very much presume with outside of the track and field and swimming, a lot of the focus on the events televised there like in volleyball and basketball there was an emphasis on the Spanish-speaking nations, US Olympians with Latino/Hispanic heritage, and quite possibly Brazilian Olympians. If I could discover a more detailed version of that online. I'll link it. Furthermore, no TV listings from both the NBC Olympic Basketball and Soccer Channels. Not good there.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012-london-olympics-tv-schedule-on-nbc-nbcsn-msnbc-cnbc-and-bravo/

Just found this a few days ago that I since printed out. This is a more detailed arrangement of NBC's family of networks covering of the London 2012 Olympics than what we previously seen during the Olympics and this was constantly updated. I really like this one because you could discover EXACTLY what time a specific event would come on during the lengthy programming blocks, whether it would live, tape delayed, or coming in already in progress. Turns out there was a surprisingly amount of events that came in not as full events on TV. It was too bad that Telemundo's Olympic blocks still weren't as detailed as they should've beenoutside of the soccer that was played. I still very much presume with outside of the track and field and swimming, a lot of the focus on the events televised there like in volleyball and basketball there was an emphasis on the Spanish-speaking nations, US Olympians with Latino/Hispanic heritage, and quite possibly Brazilian Olympians. If I could discover a more detailed version of that online. I'll link it. Furthermore, no TV listings from both the NBC Olympic Basketball and Soccer Channels. Not good there.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012-london-olympics-tv-schedule-on-nbc-nbcsn-msnbc-cnbc-and-bravo/

Durban, you continue to amaze me. You can find nuggets of information on Olympic TV from all corners of the global on an almost alarmingly regular basis to share with us. And yet, in February, you're sharing with us a version of the NBC broadcast schedule that most of the rest of us probably saw when it first came out in July?! Were you also aware that nbcolympics.com also broke down most of the programming blocks as well? Maybe not organized so well as this, but the information was certainly out there. Including better breakdowns of the basketball and soccer channels. And were you really surprised about events not coming in full? That bothered me too in certain instances, but I hardly found it surprising.

• 1 month later...

Not as bad as that recent TV newsanchor's interview with Mo Farrah. But you would expect the likes of Meredith Viera and Matt Laurer would be brushed up on ID'ing WWW founder Tim Berners-Lee and conducting quick research well before the start of the Opening Ceremony. On the other hand, not many Americans (and even people worldwide) know who Tim Berners-Lee is. Learning about him is good since he's not promoted for mass exposure like Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, or Steve Jobs are. In this context, that's where good commentary comes in. Some much-needed cross-cultural literacy is greatly needed among the American general public. Just another blunder NBC committed. (I even read Brian Williams and the rest of the CTV OC team blundered on his intro too up there for Canada)

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120729/16554119869/nbc-we-have-no-clue-who-tim-berners-lee-is-without-our-commentary-you-wouldnt-understand-olympics.shtml

• 2 weeks later...

Found another really good thread that, in some aspects, go deeper than what we do here regarding NBC. All in all, it treads through many of the same issues we discuss about NBC's Olympic coverage. If you're willing to go through them. Matter of fact, this thread goes about as long as us.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=490323

Found another really good thread that, in some aspects, go deeper than what we do here regarding NBC. All in all, it treads through many of the same issues we discuss about NBC's Olympic coverage. If you're willing to go through them. Matter of fact, this thread goes about as long as us.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=490323

I just read through all 24 pages of that. Hadn't been to that site before. Too bad, I probably would have had a lot of fun in that thread during the Olympics last year. Some interesting stuff. The usual mix of those decrying NBC and a couple of people with the good sense to understand and accept how the system works. Can't wait to do it again in less than 10 months!

How about this one:

Now that we've all agreed Phelps is the best Olympian in history wink.gif, let's talk commentators.

Who are you liking and who do you wish would never appear on your TV again? Being a cord-cutter, I'm only treated to who appears on NBC's main channel, but here are a few thoughts:

Swimming (Dan Hicks / Rowdy Gaines): Probably my favorite pair. I think Hicks calls an exciting race, and while I know that Gaines has his detractors, I think he does a good job with technical analysis and I actually like how excited he gets during races.

Diving (Ted Robinson / Cynthia Potter): Probably my second favorite pair. Potter's analysis is excellent, and Robinson makes an affable partner. They may get some benefit of the doubt because NBC edits the diving telecasts so very tightly; it's impossible to know what the duo does with the time that actually elapses between dives.

Gymnastics (Al Trautwig / Tim Daggett / Elfi Schlegel): Trautwig would be good enough if he would stick to play-by-play and setting up his analysts, but he doesn't, so he is tough to take. I like Daggett, chiefly because he comes really, really prepared and sets us up well for what to look for in such a quickly-moving sport. Schlegel is usually just kind of there.

Indoor volleyball (Dunno / Dunno): I don't like this duo very much. They call a technically proficient game as far as I can tell, but they just don't bring any oomph to it.

Beach volleyball (Dunno / Dunno): Decent duo. I like how the analyst will explain from time to time the nuances of playmaking in beach volleyball that make it distinct from conventional volleyball -- helping the viewer understand what they are looking at. The commentator sometimes acts like he is Misty May's and Kerri Walsh's best friend (calling them by their first names usually, where everyone else is called by their last), but hey, I wish I were their best friend, too.

Track and field (Tom Hammond / Ato Boldin / Dunno for field events): As far as I can tell, Hammond is a very good track play-by-play guy, but for the most part the T&F events don't interest me much so I don't really enjoy listening to him. Same for Boldin. I do like the guy that does the analysis for the field events, but those are usually edited so heavily that it's hard to get a real sense for how good he actually is.

Water polo (Dunno / Dunno): I don't like this pair. I don't think they call a very exciting game, and they never explain anything. I'm always watching and wondering why something is or isn't a foul, what some of the basic rules are, etc. The vast majority of their viewers don't see this sport except at the Olympics, but these announcers don't give any help to the viewers in understanding what they are watching.

Chime in on these or any others you like or hate!
user_offline.gifquote.gif

I'm going to complain about the announcers, but I'm too lazy to put forth the modest amount of effort to actually find their names.

I'm going to complain about the announcers, but I'm too lazy to put forth the modest amount of effort to actually find their names.

Posts like that always amuse me. You have the time to make a post on the Internet but you don't have the time to do 16 seconds of research to have some background on what you're talking about. No, it's just "I like you and you and you, but don't like you and I need to tell everyone about it!" What's funny is that I bet if he/she bothered to look like names, he'd have seen that the main water polo announcer was Mike Emrick. I bet that might change his perception since Doc is 1 of the more universally respected announcers out there. I thought putting him on water polo was the perfect spot for him.

Posts like that always amuse me. You have the time to make a post on the Internet but you don't have the time to do 16 seconds of research to have some background on what you're talking about. No, it's just "I like you and you and you, but don't like you and I need to tell everyone about it!" What's funny is that I bet if he/she bothered to look like names, he'd have seen that the main water polo announcer was Mike Emrick. I bet that might change his perception since Doc is 1 of the more universally respected announcers out there. I thought putting him on water polo was the perfect spot for him.

I really didn't see any of his water polo work because I was in London, but I'm sure it was good. The guy is a fantastic hockey announcer. In fact, I really like NBCs coverage of the NHL in general.

• 2 weeks later...

Fang's Bites analyzes the best hosts, play-by-players, analysts, reporters and contributors. Bob Costas, Leila Ali, Doc Emrick, Doc Rivers, Kate Markgraff, Mike Gorman, Dan Hicks, Tom Hammonds, Ato Bolden, Teddy Atlas, Ann Meyers Drysdale and Tim Ryan all earned raves. So did even Shannon Miller from the world Olympic feed and Yaz Farooq in rowing. Pat O'Brien, Ryan Seacrest, Brandi Chastain, Marcelo Balboa, Tim Daggett, and Fred Roggin might want to avoid this.

http://fangsbites.com/2012/08/fangs-bites-medals-for-2012-london-olympics-coverage-part-i-studio-hosts-analysts/

http://fangsbites.com/2012/08/fangs-bites-medals-for-2012-london-olympics-part-ii-event-play-by-play-announcers/

http://fangsbites.com/2012/08/fangs-bites-medals-for-2012-london-olympics-part-ii-event-play-by-play-announcers/

Fang's Bites analyzes the best hosts, play-by-players, analysts, reporters and contributors. Bob Costas, Leila Ali, Doc Emrick, Doc Rivers, Kate Markgraff, Mike Gorman, Dan Hicks, Tom Hammonds, Ato Bolden, Teddy Atlas, Ann Meyers Drysdale and Tim Ryan all earned raves. So did even Shannon Miller from the world Olympic feed and Yaz Farooq in rowing. Pat O'Brien, Ryan Seacrest, Brandi Chastain, Marcelo Balboa, Tim Daggett, and Fred Roggin might want to avoid this.

http://fangsbites.com/2012/08/fangs-bites-medals-for-2012-london-olympics-coverage-part-i-studio-hosts-analysts/

Durban,

I'd never heard of fangsbites, but it's obviously a good source of sports media info. Thanks for posting the links. I can't say I agree on the analysis of the NBC announcers, but the content of the site is pretty thorough.

Bad link on the 3rd article... http://fangsbites.com/2012/08/fangs-bites-medals-for-2012-london-olympics-part-iii-event-analysts-reporters-non-rightsholders-2/

It amuses me that you're referring to these posts in the present tense.. as if it's been less than 8 1/2 months since they were posted :huh:

NBC's 2012 London Olympics coverage significantly among NBC Sports' 58 Sports Emmy nominations to nobody's surprise

http://fangsbites.com/2013/03/nbc-sports-group-crows-about-its-58-sports-emmy-nominations/

And the awards were handed out tonight.. THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF TELEVISION ARTS & SCIENCES ANNOUNCES WINNERS OF THE 34th ANNUAL SPORTS EMMY® AWARDS

As expected, NBC wins the most awards. NBC Sports Group took home 23 wins. Their Olympic-related awards include Live Event Turnaround, New Approaches in Sports Programming (for Countdown to London), Outstanding Studio Host (Bob Costas), and Technical Team Studio. Doesn't hurt to have an Olympics and the Super Bowl in the same year. That hasn't happened for them since 1996 when they had the Super Bowl in Arizona and the Olympics in London.

We all know the NBC Sports Group was going to win some Emmys for its London coverage overall. We've come to expect this with every Olympics NBC does.

Telemundo wins two Emmys for its portion of the 2012 Summer Olympics as part of the NBC Sports Group as part of its 11 Emmys from that

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/05/08/deportes-telemundo-wins-two-sports-emmys/181609/

Archived