Best music to use for cauldron Lighting

Anyone's thoughts on what would be the best music to use for cauldron lighting.

Here is some of my ideas:

John Williams: ET:Adventures on Earth or Flying Theme(Imagine the cauldron rising out of the stadium as we here ET's Theme in the finale).

James Horner:Southhampton from Titanic(Very adventurous)

Wagner:Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral from Lohengrin(this is not the famous wedding march, but it occurs at the end of the act I. The ending crescendo of the chorus and the trumpets blaring would be a speculator moment.

Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathrusta(probably cliche but oh well!!)

Wagner:Finale from Gotterdammerung

John Williams:Star Wars Main Title(Sounds very olympic indeed)

Tchaikosky: 1812 Overture(another obivious one)

I was thinking that maybe Elgar's "Nimrod" would work well, and it would sound a bit like Tibi Omnez from Sydney 2000's lightning of the cauldron. Though Nimrod was already used at a part of the ceremony, long before that part, so I don't think it will be used.

I was thinking that maybe Elgar's "Nimrod" would work well, and it would sound a bit like Tibi Omnez from Sydney 2000's lightning of the cauldron. Though Nimrod was already used at a part of the ceremony, long before that part, so I don't think it will be used.

Nimrod played during the OC of 2000? when?

Arrival of the Baton by Julian Scott

Always thought it was quite beautiful.

Well, Atlanta also chose a great piece of music (Beethoven's 9th Symphony - Ode to Joy), but an awkward pause at the end took away from the moment and since it is the anthem of Europe, it somehow seemed 'un-American'. Then again, so did Shostakovich's 5th Symphony in Salt Lake.

Los Angeles also used great music, specially composed by Phillip Glass. "The Olympian" I believe.

But I hated those honking horns they used Seoul and that cheesy synthesized pre-techno music they used in Munich.

I don't mind Montreal's music - a few horns and a drum roll - but the Olympic Cantata they performed after really put a wonderful focus on the flame, giving it a solid 5 minutes as the centre of attention.

Vangelis "Chariots of Fire".

Cannot believe I'm the first to think of that one.

I've seen a video on YouTube which showed it to be played when the beds of the NHS segment are brought out and I don't think they'd use it twice.

I think, for London, a good cauldon lighting tune would be "Zadok the preist" by Handel which is played at Coronations..including the Queens. Would chime well with her diamond jubilee as well.

I think the Champions League music is also based on this.

Archived