Café de Marianne

Now krow, you should know why. I mean you are probably the longest serving daily poster still here. And there have been numerous inuendo and accusations regarding my opinions being biased for supporting a certain city way back in 2003-2005. And since I am the last standard-bearer for that city, all the French left in the huff, or fulfilled their life's ambition, I thought I would put on a Francophile show.

And in the grand Faster hierarchy of love for countries, France is certainly in the top 5. Probably just above Denmark and a step above the USA.

let's go to paris next week, wear hastily offloaded paris 2012 merch, stand outside the stade de france, and wait for the games to begin.

we can pretend it's we're like gwenyth paltrow in sliding doors--in a parallel universe where we caught that metro and the games are actually happening right here but in a parallel universe that we can't see and where gwenyth bleached her hair and got a pixie cut to celebrate her independence because jeanne tripplehorn stole her man.

(btw, mekky's coming, so.)

The French team has begun the competition.

The women's football team lost to the USA 4-2, desite leading 2-0.

In archry, the French men finished second behind the Koreans, and individually French archers finished 6 and 9 in the ranking round.

Lots to update about the wonderfully surprising French performance so far. It has been a pleasure to support France this time around, Lord knows supporting Germany, Canada and Norway hasn't done the trick.

The beautiful Camille Moffat won gold in the 400m free, Yannick Angel won a gold in the 200m free and helped Alain Bernard get the gold denied to him in Beijing in the 4x100m relay.

Celine Goberville won a silver in shooting and French judoka have won 3 bronze medals. Including two today by Ugo Legrand and Automne Pavia.

France suffered a 13 point lose to the considerably more talented Americans in basketball and the French women are 2-0, including a shock win over the medal fancied Australians.

In women's football France dominated Korea DPR 5-0 and in men's handball they crushed the Brits 44-15. In women's handball France narrowly upset Gold-medal favourite Norway 24-23 (yes that was really hard to write) and tied Spain 18-18

In tennis all 4 Frenchmen advanced from the round of 64, with Simone advancing to the Round of 16, while Benneteau ran into Roger Federer. Gasquet and Tsonga have relatively easy matches upcoming. In doubles, both French teams advance, where they will both play the two Indian teams.

All-in-all a truly exceptional start to the Games of the 30th Olympiad (with their Italian neighbours).

Another update:

France has continued their exceptional performance.

Gold medals have come from Tony Estanguet and Emilie Fer in C1 slalom and K1 slalom in the last few days, as well as a judo gold from Lucie Decosse.

Yannick Angel added another medal, this time a silver in 4x200m freestyle relay, while Camile Muffat added a bronze to her total in the women's 4x200m freestyle relay and the French judoka also added another bronze.

Archived