Football at the 2012 Summer Olympics

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football returns to the scene, after a day's break. The semifinals in the women's tournament highlights the August 6 schedule.

- France vs. Japan (@ Wembley Stadium) @ 17:00 BST, and

- Canada vs. United States (@ Manchester) @ 19:45 BST.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/football/schedule-and-results/day=6-august/all-day.html

football.jpg

I've never been more gutted from watching sports in my life. We had it. **** that reff.

Why can't Canada never get a break in Football?

I challenge anyone to find me a video of a six second call in any pro Football game ever.

Oh here we go . . .

Game of the Games so far. CAN gave the USA a major scare for sure.

Canada would have beaten the US if the reff didn't **** up. Or get paid off. Either way.

Anyway, I really hope the US loses against Japan, because it would be too much to bear otherwise.

Again, have you ever seen a six second call? Ever? At any level? It's bullshit.

Oh here we go . . .

Game of the Games so far. CAN gave the USA a major scare for sure.

It was a great game. USA won good luck to them but that handball and touching the ball outside the box were very bad calls. If they weren't called in bad judgement Canada would have won.

Canada would have beaten the US if the reff didn't **** up. Or get paid off. Either way.

Anyway, I really hope the US loses against Japan, because it would be too much to bear otherwise.

Really though? Paid off? Take a breath, and walk away from the computer.

Really though? Paid off? Take a breath, and walk away from the computer.

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt by saying she might have been bought off. I'm just saying that in jest. I don't seriously think that, but there is still no way anybody can argue that they where two good calls. Obviously it was just a terrible call, I've been a Football reff, it happens, I've blown call too. But still super sad to see.

There is no way that penalty should have ever been awarded. The US got a lot of help there.

Seriously, have you ever seen a six second call? At any level? I've seen, played and reffed a lot of Football in my life. Thousand of hours. Do you know how many six second calls I've ever seen? Zero. Nada. None. I've even seen pass-backs, but a six second call? This is the first time in my entire life I've seen it given.

I'm overreacting, obviously, but being robbed of a shot at a gold medal by bad officiating is frustrating. And I'm gutted for Sinclair, she deserves to win an Olympic gold so much. I mean, congrats to the US, but ultimately they didn't deserve to win that one, and if they win gold (which they are very likely to) there will be an asterix next to it. Kind of like Paul Hamm's gold medal, really.

Ya, I'm bitter. But I think I have cause to be.

I am bitter just because it is another example of a Canadian team pushing for a medal and coming up short. Canada played better than Canada has played ever. If the ref hadn't made that call and the USA came back to win, good on them. But to be award those calls is ridiculous. Hopefully Canada can pick themselves up and get the bronze against France.

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt by saying she might have been bought off. I'm just saying that in jest. I don't seriously think that, but there is still no way anybody can argue that they where two good calls. Obviously it was just a terrible call, I've been a Football reff, it happens, I've blown call too. But still super sad to see.

There is no way that penalty should have ever been awarded. The US got a lot of help there.

Seriously, have you ever seen a six second call? At any level? I've seen, played and reffed a lot of Football in my life. Thousand of hours. Do you know how many six second calls I've ever seen? Zero. Nada. None. I've even seen pass-backs, but a six second call? This is the first time in my entire life I've seen it given.

I'm overreacting, obviously, but being robbed of a shot at a gold medal by bad officiating is frustrating. And I'm gutted for Sinclair, she deserves to win an Olympic gold so much. I mean, congrats to the US, but ultimately they didn't deserve to win that one, and if they win gold (which they are very likely to) there will be an asterix next to it. Kind of like Paul Hamm's gold medal, really.

Ya, I'm bitter. But I think I have cause to be.

An asterisk? LOL.

Welcome to the world of sports!

An asterisk? LOL.

Welcome to the world of sports!

It's not just a phantom call, though. It's a call that nobody ever makes. The US coach said she has never seen a six second violation call. She's been coaching the US forever, through hundreds of games and she herself has never seen anything like that called. If that doesn't taint a victory, I don't know what does. It's on par with the 1972 men's Basketball finals in terms on how ridiculous a decision it was, IMO. I mean, honestly, if you can find me a video of a comparable six-second violation call from ANY International or professional Football game I'll send you ten bucks. I'd like to see it myself, so I can say it's not something I've only seen once in my life.

It's way beyond a judgment call. It's a call so outlandish that it's hard to explain unless there was favouritism, powers at play or a ref that wanted to get 15 minutes of fame. Inclined to believe it's the later.

Again, I can't overstate just how rarely this call is made. To put it in American terms, having a six second violation called for a free kick in Football is kind of like having a successful drop kick and a successful free kick in the same NFL game - except that in the later case it's not something the ref gets to decide. An ESPN commentator made the point that he's seen at least 2000 pro games and it's the first time he sees that call. The US coach has never seen that call. Nobody on the Canadian bench has ever seen that call. I've never seen that call. And if anybody on here has seen that call I want to hear that story, because it ought to be a good one. The call was category one bullshit, and it's inexplicable unless you assume factors outside of the game.

There won't be an asterisk. It's a blown call, rare call, whatever you want to call it. It's sports. It happens. Did the referee kick the ball into the Canadian net? No. There were some definite calls on both sides that (who knows?) may have prevented eventual goals.

People will move on.

Brazilian comentators were complaining a lot today in Sportv...

I didn't watched the game, but they invited the Brazilian referees who participated in World Cup finals and other soccer athletes...

They called the refferee judges in the end of the match "weird"...

Polemics begin.

There won't be an asterisk. It's a blown call, rare call, whatever you want to call it. It's sports. It happens. Did the referee kick the ball into the Canadian net? No. There were some definite calls on both sides that (who knows?) may have prevented eventual goals.

People will move on.

It's not a blown call, though. a blown call is when a ref makes a mistake in judgment or doesn't see something the right way. It's not a rare call either, it's practically an unprecedented one.

Essentially it's a call that's so bad that it's hard to believe anyone would make it. There is no explanation for it. I mean, you can explain missing an offside, booking a player 3 times, not seeing a dive, et cetera. Those are human errors and they happen from time to time. That was a call that nobody makes. U10 refs don't make it, NCAA refs don't make it, pro refs don't make it and International refs don't make it. I'd love to hear her explanation for the call, to be honest, because I've been watching Football for a decade and I've never seen a call that I couldn't at least understand from the ref's point of view - I mean, I've blown offside, it happens. Until tonight. I have no clue what might have gone on inside that ref's head. Blown and rare don't begin to describe how absurd a call it was. Heck, Canada plays in the CONCACAF, I'm pretty used to seeing blown calls, and I'm pretty sure US Football fans are, too. That transcended "blown".

Also, the challenge for anyone to find an example of a similar call in a pro or International match is still on. Good luck on that one.

Also, I'm not sure if you've ever had to defend an indirect free kick from inside your penalty area, but if well executed it's at worse a 50/50 shot at a goal. In the context of a sport like Football it's practically like kicking the ball in yourself. When she blew that whistle she knew that the US would most likely score off that free kick. Literally the only worse set piece to defend is a penalty.

Today (August 7) is the semifinal matches for the men.

- Mexico vs. Japan (@ Wembley Stadium) @ 17:00 BST, and

- South Korea vs. Brazil (@ Manchester) @ 19:45 BST.

Link: http://www.london2012.com/football/schedule-and-results/day=7-august/all-day.html

football.jpg

Archived