Football at the 2012 Summer Olympics

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Britain take the win 1-0. New Zealand had their chances but couldn't score! Well done Britain.

New Zealand have the hard task now of taking on Brazil in their next game. It does not get any easier thats for real.

The North Korean women's football team has refused to start an Olympic Games match at Hampden Park in Glasgow because of a dispute over the wrong flag being displayed, the Associated Press reports.

A South Korean flag was reportedly displayed on a screen before kick-off. They are due to face Columbia.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012-07-25/north-korea-olympic-football-team-refuses-to-play-over-flag-dispute/

The North Korean women's football team has refused to start an Olympic Games match at Hampden Park in Glasgow because of a dispute over the wrong flag being displayed, the Associated Press reports.

A South Korean flag was reportedly displayed on a screen before kick-off. They are due to face Columbia.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012-07-25/north-korea-olympic-football-team-refuses-to-play-over-flag-dispute/

Huge gaffe in the first day of the Games...

Oops! If that is true, that is a truly embarrassing mistake by the organisers. I just switched to Eurosport and believe they told a different version there, though. It sounded as if the North Koreans protested because there's also a South Korean flag hanging from the roof, besides the flags of the other countries competing in the football tournaments.

However, the kick-off is apparently only delayd. The Eurosport commentator said that the teams are currently doing their warm-up.

Brazil 5 - 0 Cameroon in Cardiff

And that's a pretty unforgivable mistake when you consider they misplaced the flags of two countries still in war... I'm relieved the North Koreans decided to play. A diplomatic faux pas in the very first day would be beyond awkward for LOCOG.

Oh, and they've just put the cambodian flag in place of the cameroonian flag.

Really? Oh, I'm looking forward to when they display the Israeli flag instead of the Iranian one or the Armenian flag instead of the Azerbaijani one in a medal ceremony. ;)

I guess things can only get better from here on in, but given the error (a pretty fundamental one albeit) has been corrected and an apology given, then I don't see that the North Koreans had any alternative but to play this evening. I don't see that refusing to play thereafter is going to do anybody any good, least of all those people who have stayed at Hampden Park after the earlier game.

That cock-up aside, I am genuinely encouraged by what I have seen so far today. I'm in Glasgow and will be at Hampden Park tomorrow and I understand there were about 15,000 there for the USA v France game earlier. In a nation where women's football is a pretty low-profile sport, that is a tremendous gate. The idea that the Scots are "snubbing" the Olympics or that we should somehow feel "humiliated" by the gate at the Millennium Stadium given all the controversy there has been about a British football team playing in the Olympics is, frankly, absurd.

Nothing on the news channels over here yet. Think we'd have heard something by now if that was so.

The idea that the Scots are "snubbing" the Olympics or that we should somehow feel "humiliated" by the gate at the Millennium Stadium given all the controversy there has been about a British football team playing in the Olympics is, frankly, absurd.

That controversy was pretty humiliating too, at least to anyone outside of Scotland.

Congratulations to the winners of these first football matches at the Olympics. It wasn't really a surprise that Canada lost to the powerful Japanese team. They, of course, are the current World Cup champions. But, the Canadian team did put a good fight in that match.

Anyway, on Thursday, it is the mens' turn to start playing their first rounds.

- United Arab Emirates vs. Uruguay (at Manchester) at 17:00 BST;

- Great Britain vs. Senegal (at Manchester) at 20:00 BST;

- Mexico vs. South Korea (at Newcastle) at 14:30 BST;

- Gabon vs. Switzerland (at Newcastle) at 17:15 BST;

- Belarus vs. New Zealand (at Coventry) at 19:45 BST;

- Brazil vs. Egypt (at Cardiff) at 19:45 BST;

- Honduras vs. Morocco (at Glasgow) at 12:00 BST; and,

- Spain vs. Japan (at Glasgow) at 14:45 BST.

full time

North Korea 2 - 0 Colombia

Well, I guess that major gaffe, before the match, somewhat gave North Korea a boost. How can they mix up the flags like that?

Archived